The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

View Poll Results: Would you restore a "sporterized" surplus rifle?
No 11 18.33%
Yes 18 30.00%
Depends on the "sporterization" (aka-bubbaing) 27 45.00%
Only if I can eat bacon while I am doing it 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 13, 2015, 12:25 PM   #26
Nodak1858

I would restore a rifle back to "original " configuration and I have done a couple. Last was a No1 MK4, even though they drilled it for a scope mount it looks nice now. Was it worth it financially? No but I had fun doing it and I'm happy to have it looking like it did. I know I could have spent less just buying one in original for but what fun would that be? I didn't get in this hobby to save money.
Old June 14, 2015, 07:39 PM   #27
BoogieMan

Was the point of the thread about retiring a sported mil-surp? How can you ruin the value of something that has already been changed from original configuration wether Bubbed or artisan done. Like someone else mentioned, original historical milsurps are still readily available. Personally I wouldn't take one of them and sporterize it. I also wouldn't hold it against anyone whom did. None of us are planning on using a eddystone to go to war, so the only value it has is as sport use. The value of every original gun goes up just a little everytime someone sports one.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 15, 2015, 07:16 AM   #28
F. Guffey

It has to do with the critics, it must have all matching numbers and it can not be a mix-master etc..

I purchased a last ditch Mauser, the stock was finished in shoe polish, the metal was dipped in something that gave it a flat black finish, the stock was made up of more than one piece. Best of all the bands were made of tin strips.

I took it to the range, I thought the bullets were tumbling, the groups were cloverleafs. I needed a parts gun, I chose to apply the leaver policy, I lefter the way I founder.

I purchases a Remington M1917, the ugliest, what was he thinking type rifle. I took it to the range, there was little I could do to improve on the accuracy. I did not believe anyone could build a rifle that ugly without knowing what they were doing.

Along with the last ditch Mauser I purchases a Mexican Mauser, I am looking for an excuse to need it for parts. The bolt does not match.

Two receivers are going to get a new lease on life. I found two heavy 308 W/7.62 barrels for free that need to be road tested. Both have Mauser large shanks.

F. Guffey
Old June 16, 2015, 09:55 PM   #29
velocette

What about if it is the result of two years of hand work, all but the checkering?
US rifle of 1917 AKA 1917 Enfield
Still with its original barrel with its flaming bomb, Dayton Traister trigger and cock on closing. shoots just under an inch @ 100 yds.

Old June 17, 2015, 01:37 AM   #30
10-96

I've done a few, and I'll likely do another 03A3 with a drilled receiver. No, I won't make any money out of the deal, but that is the kind of work I enjoy and as long as I'm the one being made happy by my endeavors- that's all that really matters.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.