The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 24, 2018, 03:16 PM   #1
kymasabe

Tell me about Davidson Defense. Good products?

Well, I was in the market for a new upper receiver, was prowling around the PSA website, and not sure how I ended up at Davidson Defense, but ended up buying an MMC Armory "Crux" assembled upper receiver, without any previous research on Davidson or MMC Armory. So...wondering if I'm good, or not.

https://davidsondefense.com/mmc-armo...lok-handguard/
Old September 24, 2018, 05:54 PM   #2
rickyrick

Haven’t heard of them, but they definitely like their product.
Old September 24, 2018, 11:22 PM   #3
ed308

I read post that are both good and bad. Not a big name. Google them for reviews. If I'm buying, it's going to be with a firm I'm familiar with.

Last edited by ed308; September 24, 2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old September 25, 2018, 12:37 AM   #4
dakota.potts

A lot of the prices on the website seem "too good to be true" if you know what I mean. Assembled uppers now "on sale" for the price of just a decent barrel.

Curious to know your experience when it arrives.
Old September 25, 2018, 04:01 PM   #5
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota.potts View Post
A lot of the prices on the website seem "too good to be true" if you know what I mean. Assembled uppers now "on sale" for the price of just a decent barrel.

Curious to know your experience when it arrives.
I know what you mean. I have a complete PSA upper on a basic Ballistic lower, that works great. And, my pride and joy is my full Ballistic build (enhanced lower and upper, Hansen barrel, bcg, Aero Atlas rail, VG6 comp). I had enough left over and take-off parts from previous builds that I picked up an Anderson lower on one of Primary Arms flash-sales, and was lookin for a cheap upper to throw on it. I guess we'll see when it arrives and I drag it to the range to function test. I just picked up a complete nitride BCG from Sanders Armory today too, lifetime warranty, looked it over with Kelly Sanders before I took it home so...keeping my fingers crossed.
Old September 27, 2018, 02:24 AM   #6
gshayd

I purchased a trigger from them and was happy with it.
Old October 5, 2018, 11:05 AM   #7
kymasabe

UPDATE: Finally got my build done. Had some fire control group problems, but got that under control (bought different FCG). And, had a problem with the charging handle and bolt binding a little but looks like was bad charging handle as now everything works fine.
The Davidson Defense complete upper seems to be OK, its no Aero but didn't expect it to be at the price I paid. Rifling looks clean and sharp, nothing on the upper looks crooked, assembly looks good, no scratches or blems that I could see. For a $179 assembled upper (no BCG or charging handle, but with free shipping), isn't too bad for a budget build. I threw in a mil-spec charging handle, a nitride BCG from Sanders Armory, and it's all on an Anderson lower that I built. Fits well on the lower, no wobble or rattle, all in all, not a bad build. .223 Wylde barrel, spiral fluting, carbine length gas tube.