The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 16, 2018, 09:08 PM   #1
Roamin_Wade

Barrel Shot Out Rev.1

I got my bore scope out and put it in the cartridge area of the barrel looking down towards the muzzle. I’ve attempted to post three pics from different Guns. First is a Mauser k98 in 8mm made in 1940. Second is a Savage 99 in 243 made in 1957 and the third is a brand new Browning X-Bolt in 270. Do either of the first two look like they are shot out?
God dang why is it so hard to post pics in this forum? How do I make my phone take pictures that take less memory? I’ve never even heard of this!!!
Old September 17, 2018, 10:05 AM   #2
RC20

You phone may have settings that allow fewer pixels. Knock it down low/

It takes a very good eye to know what you are looking at and the indications of a shot out barrel.

Frankly the real test is to load a dummy round in a resized case, load it long by .100 to start with.

Then very gently close the bolt, meet resistance, you may have to tap the handle back (the bullet in a sized case will hold tighter and not move, the newer pointed bullets tend to stick a bit in the lands. )

Seat it deeper .020 each time (or more if the bolt is way out before closing)

When you get a non sticky bolt closure, measure the COAL and see what the Reloading Manual says for that mfg and type of bullet.

If its shot out you will be well out in the neck with the bullet.

The Hornady comparator works as well but its now plastic and the only one that is accurate is a reproduction my brother milled out of metal.
Old September 17, 2018, 01:06 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

'Shot out' is a relative term. Means different things to different shooters. A Bench Rest shooter will say a barrel is shot out long before a High Power rifle shooter will and that guy will say its shot out long before a Hunter will.
It's almost impossible to tell anything with just a visual inspection. You really need throat and muzzle erosion gauges to tell anything. Those go by calibre and start at about $75 each. Most of the readily available gauges are for .30 calibre. Other calibres are custom made and run $95 from Pacific Tool & Gauge.
Case gauges have nothing to do with it.
You can slug the barrel to check the groove diameter too.
"...pictures that take less memory..." It's smaller number of pixels, not memory. Best thing is to use one of the picture posting sites. Best to not use a phone either.
Start here. https://thefiringline.com/forums/faq...b3_attachments
Old September 17, 2018, 02:58 PM   #4
std7mag

Your Mauser is going to have a decent amount of leade, simply due to the old military use of heavy roundnosed bullets.

Your model 99 is going to have a long leade, compared to a bolt action 243 due to it being a lever action.

The longer leade(throat/freebore) was used by these to help keep pressures down.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 17, 2018, 05:06 PM   #5
emcon5

Quote:
Your Mauser is going to have a decent amount of leade, simply due to the old military use of heavy roundnosed bullets.
Not on a rifle made in 1940. Germay introduced Spitzer bullets in 1903.
Old September 18, 2018, 01:45 PM   #6
JJ45

You might try a good carbon then copper scrubbing before judging a bore to be shot out...there are a lot of excellent carbon and copper solvents nowadays.