The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 13, 2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Model12Win

Your Possibles? (bags/horns/etc.)

Hey all! I'd love to see your possibles bag/shooting bag, powder horn, or what you use with your black powder weapons to carry your shooting supplies when you go out into the forest or where ever else. Here is mine:

Inside is my powder measure, cleaning rag, separate bags for my cleaning supplies (jags, worm, nipple pick, pipe cleaners, oil bottle, breech scraper, bore brush), shooting patches, cleaning patches, short starter, cap magazine, and ball bag.

I intend to get a bullet board and some other little tools for cleaning and maintenance. As is, I can use these supplies to go out in the woods and take up to 30 shots with the rifle and clean it thoroughly several times with nothing more than a source of water. I can just grab it and my powder horn and head to the woods to camp, shoot, and hunt for several days at a time.

I'd love to see your possibles as well guys!

PS: I know that technically speaking the term "possibles" or "possibles bag" may or may not refer to shooting supplies in contemporary 19th century vernacular. But in 21st century parlance most associate that term with a shooting pouch and the things that go in it.
Old March 13, 2017, 04:53 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

These aren't the greatest photos and I could only get two of three uploaded.

I have made quite a few pouches and horns over the last 50 years. My favorite style of bag is the "heart shape" bag. I carry the bare minimum in it and leave the kitchen sink at home. I like the style of bag as the shape allows everything to be easily found with the hand. You can't see it, but there is a leather sheath sewn to the back of the pouch which usually has a smaller deer antler handled knife - a 4" blade - that is utilized for cutting patches at the muzzle and an occasional apple if I happen to have one along for a snack.

The bag is constructed of "pig skin" and is entirely hand sewn - lined with "fustian" with one small leather inner pocket. The strap is hand seen fustian as well with leather ends and buckle adjustent for adjusting the length of the strip I made this for hunting (when I used to hunt) and the length was adjusted according to the clothing I was wearing for weather conditions

The horn I made from a large cowhorn. I hand fitted a flat pine plug in the end which is secured with a number of "locust spines/prickers" from locust trees off of our farm. The spout plug is turned and carved from a piece of walnut. The strap is adjustable with a buckle - again for a variety of clothing. The spout end is hand worked with the rest of the horn left in the rough and lightly scraped with a knife. I antiqued the horn with "old bones" solution. I made this horn for use with my 20 gauge flintlock "Fusil de Chase". This smoothbore has a large trad lock on it which works well with the same 2F BP that I use for loading so I don't carry a priming horn. I don't remember the measurement of the horn but it will hold about 7/8 of a pound of powder.

I don't have photos with me here in AZ of my other bags and horns. I have a much smaller "day bag" that I made for use with my 36 caliber under hammer.
the horn for that one is attached to the bag straps and is a much smaller cowherd that I pretty much left in the "rough" and it holds perhaps a 1/3 of a pound of 3F.

For some reason, I have always preferred "plain" guns (not a lot of glitter) and have also preferred bags and horns that are more rustic and representative of the "working tools" of the common person.

I apologize for the quality of the photos but they were what I had on the computer. Wish I had more to share. In over 50 years of shooting, one of the great enjoyments has been making and creating the things such as bags and horns that go along with the shooting.

I used to make "poor boy" pouches. These were hand sewn out of heavy canvas or pillow ticking with matching straps. I then used a brush and painted them with black rustoleum paint - let dry well. It creates a waterproof bag, much like the "tarred" haversacks of the Civil War. Once the paint has dried REALLY WELL - you can toss them in a clothes dryer and let them run for a while. This creates a "used" or "worn" look to them. While we usually think of leather bags . . . many many bags were made from pillow ticking, cans, old linen type seed bags, etc. and they worked fine. The look really neat with a "poor boy" rifle or a "Bean" stye rifle. The possibilities are endless!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 13, 2017, 04:56 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

For some reason my photos didn't attach. Will try again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.JPG (198.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.JPG (146.4 KB, 72 views)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 13, 2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Hawg

I've got others but these are the ones I use.

Old March 14, 2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Model12Win

Quote:
For some reason, I have always preferred "plain" guns (not a lot of glitter) and have also preferred bags and horns that are more rustic and representative of the "working tools" of the common person.
I agree 100%. I am much more drawn to the simpler style of rifles without much decoration, and the the same for bags and powder horn. I like that heart shaped bag and horn a lot!
Old March 15, 2017, 12:03 PM   #6
ocharry

id post for ya mod12 but i cant make it happen here for some reason,,,just dont have the pooter smarts i guess ,,,i have tried a few times ,,lol,,just pisses me off bout every time ive tried

put me in the DA collum

ocharry
Old March 16, 2017, 11:30 PM   #7
Hylander

Model12Win:

Really like the bag and horn.
Where would I find ones like them ?
What are the dimensions of the bag ?
Old March 17, 2017, 01:39 AM   #8
Model12Win

Quote:
Model12Win:

Really like the bag and horn.
Where would I find ones like them ?
What are the dimensions of the bag ?
I got the horn from October Country (website) it is their pioneer horn. The bag was from Track of the Wolf and is also made by October Country. It's dimensions are 8'x8" and roughly 2" wide. I like that it isn't excessively large, but there's plenty of room to hold everything I need for shooting. I really like it and recommend both of them.