The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 15, 2023, 08:05 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Slip 2000 EWL in the AR.

So in brief my assessment is as follows, great for handguns, no good for AR's

I started using slip 2000 EWL about 2 years back now. I got a sample with my P365 and liked it well enough to buy a bottle. Used it on just my handguns. seems to stay in place and lubricate fairly well. Lasts through a range session of a few hundred rounds without issue.

I decided to give it a run in my AR, a Colt, and see how it did. I stripped everything and re-lubed everything. While I generally clean my guns after every outing, I do expect an AR to hold up for 1000rnds or so before experiencing issues. While my testing methods may not be the best, they are real world and here's how it went. I put a new barrel on my rifle. Took it out and shot it, around 60-80rnds to get it zeroed up and some informal shooting. Then I put it in the safe for a couple weeks. Did some testing this week, went through another 190 rounds for a grand total of around 250, give or take 20.

Took the gun apart to clean it today. Felt pretty gritty coming apart. Got it open and it was completely dried out inside. No a drop of oil to be found, everything covered in sooty carbon. Should have taken a picture.

I will be going to my previous oil of choice, frog lube paste, which does seem to hold up in my experience, when properly applied (put on, heated, left to cool, excess wiped off)

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 15, 2023 at 08:17 PM.
Old February 16, 2023, 09:37 PM   #2
603Country

I haven’t had any problems with using that lube in ARs. It is some pretty slippery stuff. I gifted an old 22 LR semi to my neighbor’s son. The old rifle had always, since I fell on it back in the 60’s, had a problem cycling. I told the kid that, so he’d know, but before I gave it to him I cleaned it well and lubed it with the Slip 2000. A week or two later he told me that it had never hung up or failed to cycle. The only thing changed was the lube.

As for the ARs, I haven’t run 1000 rounds through before cleaning and relubing, so maybe I just haven’t stressed the lube enough.
Old February 17, 2023, 11:26 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

EWL is fine.
Put it on guide rails and 'high impact' areas.
Use a thinner oil everywhere else.

Flog lube is coconut oil.
That may be why the EWL didn't work for you - everything was already covered in incompatible layer of goo.
Old February 17, 2023, 11:00 PM   #4
wachtelhund1

I like EWL, never had a problem with it. Been using it for twelve or more years. I use it on my AR's, Winchester 100's, HK auto sporting rifles, and auto shotguns. Auto pistols, great on blued gun surfaces. Works fine! But then I usually clean my gun frequently. Never more than one-to-two hundred or so rounds at a shooting session. Pistols may be more. But then cleaned before putting them away.
Old February 18, 2023, 05:00 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachtelhund1 View Post
I like EWL, never had a problem with it. Been using it for twelve or more years. I use it on my AR's, Winchester 100's, HK auto sporting rifles, and auto shotguns. Auto pistols, great on blued gun surfaces. Works fine! But then I usually clean my gun frequently. Never more than one-to-two hundred or so rounds at a shooting session. Pistols may be more. But then cleaned before putting them away.
I generally clean after each outing. AR's are generally 60 to 90 rounds, handguns around 100. However as I was trying to get the round count up while testing the lube I did skip a cleaning to get to the 250.

My thinking is the AR platform was designed as a military rifle. So it should at the very least get through a combat loadout of 210rnds (7, 30rnd mags, 1 in the gun 6 on the person) maybe a bit more, before needing to be cleaned. I have read more than a few times that an AR should run 1000rnds before it starts failing from being clogged up with fouling. I dont know how realistic that is. But for my purposes, I decided that I want there to be some oil/lubrication left at 250 rounds. if it lasts longer, all the better.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 22, 2023 at 08:44 AM.
Old February 25, 2023, 06:38 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

I have fired as many as 600 rounds in a day with a AR lubed with Slip 2000. Never experienced any problems... Other than cleaning all the carbon that was left over after firing 600 rounds.
Old February 26, 2023, 03:23 AM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman View Post
I have fired as many as 600 rounds in a day with a AR lubed with Slip 2000. Never experienced any problems... Other than cleaning all the carbon that was left over after firing 600 rounds.
Was the gun still wet/slick? Mine was dry as a bone. Sounded gritty cycling the action.
Old February 27, 2023, 05:45 PM   #8
Steve in PA

I’ve been using Slip 2000 ELW for years on all my semi-auto firearms; handguns and rifles. Never an issue.
Old February 27, 2023, 11:52 PM   #9
tangolima

Why does an AR need to be wet with lube? When closing action on my friend's rifle, there is always a mist of oil spraying out. He runs his AR wet. Why? He has no idea other than he heard it from somewhere.

Mine is dry like other guns I own. Never have had issues. AR is somehow special?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; February 28, 2023 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 28, 2023, 06:50 AM   #10
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Why does an AR need to be wet with lube? When closing action on my friend's rifle, there is always a mist of oil spraying out. He runs his AR wet. Why? He has no idea other than he heard it from somewhere.

Mine is dry like other guns I own. Never have had issues. AR is somehow special?

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Not saying dripping wet. Just that the bearing surfaces should have oil on them. And that it should stay that way for the most part. The oil should stay in place. In my gun the whole thing was dry and caked with soot.