The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 29, 2022, 11:41 AM   #1
kilotanker22

Help finding parts for a Savage

Converting a Savage 110 SA, .243 Win, to a detachable magazine, it is currently a blind magazine. When these were produced all of them were standard long actions, even the short action cartridges. I am looking for a compatible 110 long action, side bolt release, detachable magazine, black synthetic stock with OEM bottom metal and magazine. The trouble is, finding this combination of products has proven to be difficult.

The friend I am helping is not interested in going with any other style stock, and they want to spend as little as possible.

Anyone here have any ideas who may have what I am looking for, or maybe have it yourself and be willing to sell the parts? Any help is appreciated.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine

Last edited by kilotanker22; July 29, 2022 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old July 29, 2022, 07:53 PM   #2
BornFighting88

Have you tried Numrich or calling OEM directly?
Old July 30, 2022, 05:35 AM   #3
stagpanther

That's a tough one--I'm not familiar with those older actions--theoretically I'd think there would be no issue dropping into a 110 LA stock if the action is the same as other 110's--assuming the receiver screws and recoil lug are the same as modern LA's are (I'd double-check that). Bottom metal is another issue, the savage synthetics are either one-piece or use their own "bottom plastic." I have a savage 111 in 6.5-284 that came fitted to a long action and ended up buying a Hogue synthetic chassis for it which might the bill of what you're looking for.
Old July 30, 2022, 11:12 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Threads at Savageshooters.com suggest that Savage Customer Support can help with conversions. I don't know if they can help with your specific model and stock, but I would call them first.

Savage Arms CUSTOMER SUPPORT: (800) 370-0708. HOURS: Monday through Friday 8:00AM – 5:00PM EST

If that fails, you might talk to Fred at Sharpshooter Supply and ask if he knows of anyone making the elements you want. He doesn't have anything like that cataloged, but he's a long-time gunsmith and specialized in Savages, so there's a chance he'll know if someone is making the parts you need. Obviously, the more specialized and custom the parts, the more your friend's budget is in peril.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 30, 2022, 11:13 AM   #5
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFighting88 View Post
Have you tried Numrich or calling OEM directly?
Yes, I tried Numerich. They have stuff that will work, but not exactly what my friend is looking for.

Calling Savage directly was going to be my next move on Monday.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old July 30, 2022, 03:52 PM   #6
Scorch

One problem you run into with Savage 110s is that they have changed the action design so much over the years and kept the same name on the rifles that you can't answer a lot of questions you need to ask unless you know which generation your particular rifle was built in. Definitely call Savage.

Also, realize that it may be cheaper to buy a new rifle than to convert his into what he wants.
Old July 31, 2022, 08:41 AM   #7
std7mag

I have a couple of 110 stocks. But none have the detachable magazine.

Mayhaps try Boyds or Stockys.
NSS (Northland Shooters Supply) www.northlandshooterssupply.com
SSS (Sharp Shooter Supply) Specializes in Savage.
EABCO.
Look in their used sections. You can usually find stocks they took off of customer rifles for sale.

PTG, EABCO, SSS all have the bottom metal & magazines.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 31, 2022, 02:07 PM   #8
kilotanker22

EABCO has a stock but the bottom metal is awaiting production.
– St. Augustine
Old July 31, 2022, 02:10 PM   #9
BornFighting88

I just read in American Gunsmith magazine a huge list of parts houses, suppliers, and OEM’s that will walk people through their issues.

Try, also, www.everygunpart.com
Old July 31, 2022, 02:13 PM   #10
BornFighting88

I just read in American Gunsmith magazine a huge list of parts houses, suppliers, and OEM’s that will walk people through their issues.

Try, also, www.everygunpart.com
Old August 1, 2022, 09:45 AM   #11
kilotanker22

Much appreciated
– St. Augustine
Old August 1, 2022, 12:39 PM   #12
kilotanker22

Called Savage, They said they do not currently manufacture a stock compatible with that firearm, with a detachable magazine.
– St. Augustine
Old August 2, 2022, 01:11 PM   #13
kilotanker22

Got a call back from Savage. They said that the shape of the receiver on those staggered feed models is different than the ewer center feed stuff. They said that there would need to be additional inletting to the stock, new recoil lug, bottom metal, new stock, then milling the receiver to accept the center feed magazines.

In short, the conversion can be done, but nowhere near my friend's budget. Not to mention the gun is not even worth the material costs, or my time invested.
– St. Augustine
Old August 3, 2022, 07:58 AM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sounds like a total rebuild. Now, if he took those NRA Summer Gunsmithing programs, he could do it at school.