The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 6, 2021, 10:23 AM   #1
gaseousclay

Flash hider question

I want to install a Surefire flash hider on my S&W but was wondering if there was a noticeable increase in loudness. I know muzzle brakes increase loudness, which is what I’m trying to avoid. Will the flash hider have the same loudness as the standard A2 bird cage?
Old September 6, 2021, 06:02 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

the bird cage is a flash hider and a fairly good one. Surefire has several flash hiders. If is is JUST as flash hider it should not be any louder than it was before. if it has any kind of brake, it will be louder.

Why a flash hider?

Personllay I prefer linear comps like the Kaw valley. they don't reduce flash, but they push the sound/blas away from the shooter.
Old September 7, 2021, 09:34 AM   #3
gaseousclay

A friend of mine just got two Surefire warcomp flash hiders which is what sold me. He also stated that he felt a noticeable reduction in muzzle flip. Either way, I’ve been watching reviews for the Surefire and I mainly want it to reduce my flash signature. I’m also trying to make my S&W less noticeable as a S&W and make it my own with as many furniture upgrades as possible.
Old September 7, 2021, 10:25 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

the war comp flash hiders are a combination device. a compensator and and a flash hider. the comp is why there is reduced muzzle flip. it will be louder.

Don't go crazy with upgrades. an AR is an AR and looks like an AR. unless you look at the markings on the receiver you can't tell who made it.

upgrades are great, just make sure they make sense and are useful. upgrades for upgrades sake is just a waste of money and generally end up looking tacky.
Old September 8, 2021, 05:52 AM   #5
gaseousclay

Good to know.

As for upgrades, the stock furniture that came with the S&W was cheap garbage, as will be the case with mass produced rifles. I swapped out the butt stock, grip, and handguard so far and it’s a noticeable improvement. Of course, it still goes bang but for my purposes I wanted to make changes to make it my own. The free float handguard is a huge upgrade that I should’ve done right off the bat as it feels better with how I hold the rifle. The other upgrades are cosmetic
Old September 8, 2021, 10:45 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

long as your happy with it, that's what counts. as you said most mass produced rifles, including the military ones, come with cheap furniture. with that said it works just fine. When I got my first AR, I decided to keep it as it and shoot it. See what I felt needed changing. I ended up with a magpul CTR stock, because I hated the rattle and slop. A magpul MOE grip because the factory grip was too skinny and I did not like the finger groove. The mil-spec handguard was too chunky. I like the MOE slime line, its better. An i have a free float on one gun. the plastic handguards do better with heat than the free float rail. the free float feels a LOT more secure. I ran the bird cage. it was fine, minimal muzzle flip. I tried a couple brakes and flash brake combos they seemed fine. My buddy got a kaw valley linear comp and we got to shoot them side by side. it significantly reduces blast both compared to a comp and a flash hider. Its hard to tell shooting at different times. but shooting side by side its very noticeable. I put jp rifles enhanced reliability spring kits in a couple guns. trigger was much improves, 100% reliable. I put a larue MBT in another. amazing trigger for $80. I hate the heavy gritty mil spec triggers. added optics and things have really not changed much since then. For me I have been very happy with these changes.