The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 3, 2020, 07:32 PM   #1
TBM900

VA Gov requests $4.8 million for "Gun Confiscation Team"

Quote:
"Virginia’s pop-up gun sanctuary movement has turned its attention to fighting the governor’s call for a $4.8 million, 18-officer team to enforce his proposed “assault weapons” ban. Two key groups issued an alert this week to push gun owners to four budget hearings Thursday around the state, asking them to quiz state legislators if they will vote to ban or confiscate weapons.

“We understand that this is short notice. But it would have a significant impact if many of our members could show up and make a 3-minute statement and ask questions of the legislators in attendance,” said the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

“We see in the governor’s proposed budget that he wants $4 million and 18 new law-enforcement positions to enforce a ban on commonly-owned firearms,” said Erich Pratt, Gun Owners of America senior vice president."
READ THE REST HERE
Old January 3, 2020, 08:00 PM   #2
JERRYS.

the democrats have sharpened their knives......

Last edited by JERRYS.; January 3, 2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old January 3, 2020, 09:52 PM   #3
50 shooter

Wonder how many doors they'll knock on before getting shot in the face?

You know it has to be new positions after threatening the police about doing their jobs. Why anyone would work for that POS taking away someone's rights is beyond me.

Hopefully everyone that gets asked or interviews for the position turns him down! Got no sympathy for someone that would take that job and something happens to them.
No time for rearranging.
Old January 3, 2020, 11:16 PM   #4
shurshot

They may not be simply knocking on doors, but kicking them in. Orwellian 1984 era we are living in.
Old January 5, 2020, 08:36 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm shocked at what I've been seeing in VA. I know that 1/20/20 is a rally day at the capitol, and I hope that goes well. Watch closely, everyone. Watch closely.
Old January 5, 2020, 10:13 AM   #6
American Man

Like I said before, Northam is going to try and be the hero of the left, in order to deflect from his KKK blackface scandal, by attempting to put the final nail in the coffin of a once, not too long ago Red State's 2A rights. He's not acting on his own... this is Bloomberg, the DNC and Soros all moving fast to manufacture a horrific incident cause they think it will hurt Trump, whether it actually does or not. I know people don't want to mix politics in the forum, but what else is driving this?... gun safety? Is gun violence unbearable in Fairfax County? They have these laws all printed out for each state in hard drives at the Center for American Progress and other far left think tank operations... ready to print after just changing names, locations, dates, etc... how else can you account for how fast they are moving on a state that just became a blue majority? This is their war against America and the Constitution that some people have been lulled into thinking doesn't really exist.

I would love to be wrong.
Old January 5, 2020, 11:01 AM   #7
Rapidrob

I guess this moronic Governor does not remember Virginia history and where the Civil War started?
Old January 5, 2020, 11:04 AM   #8
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
I guess this moronic Governor does not remember Virginia history and where the Civil War started?
it started in S.C. and ended in Va. with [Va.] the south surrendering.
Old January 5, 2020, 01:57 PM   #9
jonnyc

Give him a break, Jerry, NM wasn't even a state back then.
Old January 5, 2020, 04:23 PM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

We’re moving into that awkward stage where the anti-2A forces* have decided to up the provocation and hope we respond in a way that allows them to tighten the wrench even further. And we’re in that place where responding that way would be morally justified decades ago; but wasn’t a smart way to achieve policy then and isn’t now.

Sadly, we are reaching that stage the original Virginians had to face - protesting injustice without triggering more of it backed by popular support.

*I’d started to say “the left” but even AntiFa and the other hard-line commies are protesting against this because they oppose the level of state control behind this, albeit for different reasons.
Old January 5, 2020, 05:00 PM   #11
JERRYS.

lets not forget one very important thing; the founding fathers did not have the right to vote for their representation, current Virginians did.
Old January 5, 2020, 05:55 PM   #12
Mainah

Quote:
Give him a break, Jerry, NM wasn't even a state back then.
I can't resist the urge to plug a great book that describes the NM Civil War era (and includes plenty of good gun stuff); "Blood and Thunder" by Hampton Sides.
Old January 5, 2020, 06:07 PM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
lets not forget one very important thing; the founding fathers did not have the right to vote for their representation, current Virginians did.
To the extent the vote accurately reflects popular sentiment, that triggers the H. L. Mencken exception, as well as emphasizing the wisdom of a republican form of government,
Old January 5, 2020, 06:22 PM   #14
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts View Post
To the extent the vote accurately reflects popular sentiment, that triggers the H. L. Mencken exception, as well as emphasizing the wisdom of a republican form of government,
looking at the Virginia map showing 2nd Amendment sanctuary areas, how did the democrats take the state senate, state house, and governorship? are there so few people outside of the extreme NoVa and extreme Tidewater areas?
Old January 5, 2020, 06:49 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

I don’t know the answer, Jerry. On the surface, it does seem improbable that the recent state election results and the 2A sanctuary county results can contain the same electorate. But look at the members here who talk about how they support gun rights but vote for a party that has extermination of the 2A as a major platform element. They either don’t believe the people they are voting for mean to restrict the 2A or they don’t care.

I’d guess Virginia has a few people who are shocked to find out that the people they voted for really meant to do the things they said they’d do.
Old January 5, 2020, 07:07 PM   #16
JERRYS.

yes, it would appear that some still think JFK is running the party when in fact it is far more Stalinesk.
Old January 5, 2020, 08:03 PM   #17
ATN082268

I'd guess the request for additional funding for enforcement is to help get these draconian anti-gun laws passed in the first place and it might help slightly with voluntary compliance. I'd also wager that the governor will play some sort of financial schenanagins especially with the law enforcement of those areas claiming non-enforcement of these gun laws. And if all else fails, then some high profile gun busts with the new assault weapons squad might help in regards to voluntary compliance. I'm sure the media will paint those gun owners who die in shootouts or sent to prison as unstable lunatics.
Old January 5, 2020, 08:18 PM   #18
Bartholomew Roberts

Virginia Senate Majority Leader blocks pro-2A tweets on Twitter after appeals court has already ruled this violates the 1A: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/vi...media-critics/

Paladin, Paladin, where do you roam?
Old January 5, 2020, 09:18 PM   #19
JERRYS.

they say it can't happen here.... but it is unfolding before our eyes. I hear Texans say this too but you can see how Houston and Austin are changing things there....
Old January 5, 2020, 09:20 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

I wonder what Washington, Jefferson, and Henry might say to the governor about the current and proposed actions?

personally, I don't know if Patrick Henry would have to be physically restrained from kicking his ass, but I suspect he would seriously think about it...

Do consider that there are still choices between "Zum befehl, Herr Obergruppenfuehrer!" and "give me liberty or give me death!"

Though the options appear to be shrinking almost daily.

Somewhere around a half century ago, one of the more anti-establishment writers said "America is at that awkward stage, too late to work within the system and too soon to start shooting the bastards..."

Seems things are even more awkward today...
Old January 5, 2020, 09:28 PM   #21
Bartholomew Roberts

The “too soon” morally window passed a decade or more ago, despite my protestations to the contrary at that time as evidenced here.

Now I feel like we are just guessing on when the “too soon” practically window is; while still hoping I’m wrong about the whole thing but no longer believing I am.

When I was younger, it was difficult for me to conceive that someone would sacrifice their own country for their personal advancement. That just didn’t happen where I grew up because people would know and talk and you’d be out of a job.

Now after more political experience, not only do I believe there are a lot of those people at the national level (especially in the unelected straphanger category); but I believe that many of them lack the sense to understand they are issuing a “Kneel or destroy us!” challenge that will certainly result in their destruction. The people leading this country aren’t any better, smarter, or brighter than the guy selling you milk. They just have experience in a narrow specialty that most of us lack and a good network that is concerned with self-preservation first.

But they do have determination, and they mean to push the issue until they are hanging by their heels from a lamppost. When they are being pulled up on the lamppost by the rope, they’ll still be thinking “How dare these dirty peasants touch me!”

That’s my 20 year evolution here. Make of it what you will.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; January 5, 2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old January 5, 2020, 09:56 PM   #22
JERRYS.

when is the time to put that melon lobe to work, if anyone dares?
Old January 5, 2020, 10:17 PM   #23
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, historically, the time is when they ask for your weapons.

The Spartans died refusing that request. The citizens of Gonzales survived but the troops at the Alamo and Goliad didn’t.

We’re in a “green men” soft war phase with the oligarchs that have massive sway over our government now where they try to militarily submit us while pretending no war is going on.

The Virginia thing is just the first step. We’ve already seen obscene gun laws in many states that were passed but the actual enforcement continued to look the other way and so we all continued to pretend this was the result of representative government. Now, Virginia is going to take this to the next level and attempt only token enforcement of these laws - and if they get no pushback, the next step is targeted enforcement - and the targets won’t be the people involved in what we conceive as traditional gun crime. It is going to be the members of this forum.

That’s my current impression. On the plus side, I’ve argued for the past 15+ something years here that the statement of the guy above was crazy. I sure hope younger me is right.
Old January 5, 2020, 10:36 PM   #24
JERRYS.

we often read the slogan "if you go outside with your rifle and you're the only one, its not time yet". that is just a way of saying that you're not willing to be the first to stand up. as I've said before, I don't think anyone in Virginia is going to openly disobey their new laws. the ones that have them are going to feel grateful if they get grandfathered in and talk about changing things next go around...
Old January 5, 2020, 11:27 PM   #25
Bartholomew Roberts

Based on what I am seeing online at all these VA town halls, you may run outside with your rifle and not see anyone else; but you won’t be alone by a long shot.

I’m not even in Virginia. Tell me the day and I’ll run outside with my rifle. I’ll even put on pants if it helps sell myself as a serious person.