The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old February 18, 2007, 08:56 PM   #1
steve4102

AR users Compared to Terrorists

Check out Jim Zumbo's comments on the use of AR's and other similar rifles for hunting. He went so far as to call them "Terrorist" rifles.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2...mment-60833802
Old February 18, 2007, 10:05 PM   #2
jknight8907

I bet he would think nothing of using a semiautomatic Remington in .223. Which, ironically enough, is THE SAME THING, just with different shaped plastic/wood for you to hold on to.
Old February 19, 2007, 12:12 AM   #3
mxwelch

Another idiot that thinks liberals will leave his "sporting" rifle alone after they've rid the world of "evil" assault rifles.
Old February 19, 2007, 07:30 AM   #4
Hkmp5sd

He has a right to his opinion. It's nice to see that the magazine doesn't hold with his opinion, however.
Old February 19, 2007, 08:04 AM   #5
steve4102

Here is a list of his sponsors and employers e-mail addresses . Feel free to let them know how you feel .

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Old February 19, 2007, 10:45 AM   #6
p99guy

The problem with his opinion is that he is using his soapbox to do damage with it...Unfortunately I have ran into the very same type of gun owner
quite frequently...especially when it comes to NFA items! Other shooter have been brainwashed into his exactly line of reasoning when they see you with a suppressor at the range...no paperwork will convince them that, that item isnt illegal and that you arent toxic at 40 yards. Zumbo takes it even further
to cover any military style semi auto...probley thinks M1's are terrorist guns too.
His issueing an apology is rather hollow, because he really does think that way , ment it when he wrote it, and wanted others to agree with him.
Now there is a poop storm...he still thinks what he wrote was ok, he is just doing damage control.
Now HCI is quoating him on thier blog, and vowing to help him ban those assault rifles from the hunting fields...he is their new hero:barf:

He did damage with what he wrote.

http://www.remington.com/
Remington has dropped him like a hot rock...top righthand corner of thier webpage.
Old February 19, 2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Anon

Plenty more on this topic here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ighlight=zumbo

I have already contacted Remington, to show support for their decision to dump Zumbo.
Contact info: [email protected]
Old February 19, 2007, 11:12 AM   #8
simmoag

emails

i just sent my emails out. thanks for posting the sponsor list. all gun owners should email about this item regardless of your ownership of ARs. we MUST stick together.
Old February 19, 2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Double J

Jim what?

Guess I'm lucky. Have never heard that name before. Was he important? What did he do? Sounds like a pen name.
Old February 19, 2007, 04:16 PM   #10
VUPDblue

I wrote-up an email and cc'd all of the companies in the list. I hope Remington is not the only one who can's him. BTW +1 to Remington for doing just that !
Old February 19, 2007, 06:03 PM   #11
Anon

[soapbox]

I expect EVERYONE who responded to any of the hundreds of Zumbo threads (on this or any other forum) to contact their representatives about

H.R. 1022: To reauthorize the assault weapons ban, and for other purposes
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022

If we can turn up the heat on Congress in the same fashion we turned it up on "one of our own", we can really make a difference!

[/soapbox]

(Hey, I know I just posted this in another "zumbo" thread, but it's worth repeating)
Old February 19, 2007, 07:40 PM   #12
1911austin

Quote:
If we can turn up the heat on Congress in the same fashion we turned it up on "one of our own", we can really make a difference!

This guy is not "one of our own". The is as big a threat to our gun rights as the dems that are running congress.
Old February 20, 2007, 01:30 PM   #13
p99guy

Remington, and now Cabelas is dropping Zumbo.....

the latest on the Brady campaign blog(now they want to go after Zumbo guns too) and control rifle slings

Brady campaign blog

Monday, February 19, 2007 - 2:09 AM

"The tragic proliferation of Sniper Rifles

I would like to take a moment to comment on the proliferation of Sniper Rifles.

Sniper Rifles are typically equipped with a high-powered scope, and every single one of them can blow through the body armor cops wear. They can even penetrate multiple police cars. Does the Second Amendment protect cop-killer Sniper Rifles? The NRA certainly thinks so, along with the powerful gun lobby that wants your children and your law enforcement officers to be at risk from these weapons of mass destruction. Some of these Sniper Rifles can even penetrate ballistic or armored glass, lightly armored vehicles, and armored limousines. Senator Ted Kennedy attempted to solve this with an important bill that would have banned armor piercing ammunition and protected lawful firearm commerce:

"Another rifle caliber, the 30.30 caliber, was responsible for penetrating three officers' armor and killing them in 1993, 1996, and 2002. This ammunition is also capable of puncturing light-armored vehicles, ballistic or armored glass, armored limousines, even a 600-pound safe with 600 pounds of safe armor plating.....

..It is outrageous and unconscionable that such ammunition continues to be sold in the United States of America.."

Should our elected officials live under the threat of reprisal on their lives from disgruntled constituents? The Gun Lobby seems to think so. We disagree.

Sniper Rifles can be equipped with precision optics above even what the Military uses, allowing a sniper to deliver rounds within millimeters of accuracy - enabling them to engage targets at distances of well over one hundred meters. Is there a pressing need to be able to kill with accuracy at that distance? It is too far to justify as self defense. It is too far for hunting. It is only useful for those who wish to murder from afar.

Large caliber Sniper Rifles such as the .50 Browning Machine Gun can derail freight cars, shoot down aircraft and helicopters, damage vital ground equipment such as power substations, fuel tanks, and air traffic control, and cause complete chaos. For more information on why large caliber machine-gun rounds must be banned, visit http://www.50caliberterror.com. A shipment of large caliber machine-gun round sniper rifles made by Steyr turned up in Iran, and are being used on our own soldiers, as the .50 bullets easily defeat their body armor, their up-armored humvees, and even APCs.

Many forward thinking, progressive politicians such as Ted Kennedy, Chuck Schumer, Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama have voted against Center-Fire Rifle Ammunition of types for Sniper Rifles, but due to the pressure and massive financial resources of the gun industry, the necessary steps to protect our homes and lives have not been attained.

Sniper Rifles have been used by murderers and spree killers for years, with notable incidents such as the Beltway Snipers, the Clocktower Sniper, and more.

ANY rifle configured and equipped as a sniper rifle has no sporting purpose especially as a hunting rifle. They are too big and heavy to take to the field. Designed for distance shooting, they are useless for the ranges at which game animals are normally shot, and when used on sporting sized game at range they often just wound the animal, inhumanely forcing it to die slowly while the would-be hunter tracks it to finish it off. Most Sniper Rifles fire atypically large cartridges and ultra high velocity ammunition that can travel much greater distances that standard ammunition. The danger imposed from missed shots and ricochetes from these specialty rounds is unreasonable.

Most of these rifles carry multiple rounds, with either an automatic mechanism, or a quick toggle action to rapidly move another bullet into the breech, ready to fire into another victim. In most states, they are nearly unrestricted. Anyone over the age of 18 can buy one. If they can't pass a background check, they skirt the NCIS system by going to a gunshow, or finding a private sale in the newspaper. A murderer camped at a distance from a public gathering could quickly turn it into a massacre dwarfing anything we have seen before in the United States, if they had a Sniper Rifle. If they adopted hit and run tactics, entire portions of our country could be shut down.

Sniper Rifles shoot a high powered bullet that is almost always fatal. They are designed for one thing- delivering powerful overkill with deadly precision. You don't need the kind of power and accuracy that can kill a man at five hundred yards for hunting rabbits or defending your house.

We should also give commendations to France because many years ago they designated any firearm capable of shooting military ammunition as a military arm, illegal to posess without a special permit and unlawful to use for hunting. The 223, 308, 7mm mauser, 30-06, and 6.5x55 have no place in the hunting fields of France. Firearms shooting these calibers are military weapons only designed for killing PEOPLE and should be kept out of the hands of the general population. Because they have no hunting purpose, there is no reason for civilians to own them.

Every state in the USA has hunting equipment rules that limit the caliber of firearm used to take game. They also limit the types of rifles, length, magazine capacity, etc. States should amend these hunting regulations to restrict the use of "sniper" rifles, specialty "sniper" cartridges, and "sniper" ammunition. Limits on weight, barrel length, bipods and tripods, thumbhole stocks and pistol grips, night vision type scopes, scopes of excessive magnification, super magnum and high velocity ammunition, and military slings should be imposed. They have no place in the hunting fields of America and hunting usage should not be used as an argument for civilians to own such firearms and weapons. There are more than ample hunting rifles, cartridges, and rounds of ammunition to choose from without them.

Let us hope that in a safer, saner America, we will succeed in our efforts to restrict the deadly spread of long distance murder rifles."
Old February 20, 2007, 02:00 PM   #14
GeorgeF

Arrrrghhhh. These people astound me.
Quote:
The 223, 308, 7mm mauser, 30-06, and 6.5x55 have no place in the hunting fields of France.
Gah! That is such bunk. I am amazed that anyone would buy this. On the plus side - the Fudds might actually get upset because 7mm Mauser and 30.06 are threatened. It just goes to show what these people can do with their vast resources.

Although I would guess the only people going to the Brady Campaign blog are die-hard Brady supporters and those who HATE the Brady Campaign. Avergae Joe User isnt bothering with that when he has more important things like sports scores and why Britney shaved her head.

Still very disturbing that people post that garbage.
Old February 20, 2007, 02:04 PM   #15
GeorgeF

huh - quick look on their site does not show the post. Could it be they saw how inflammatory it was and removed it? They dont want to attack the hunters - they can actually get some of those guys to believe their garbage.
Old February 20, 2007, 03:08 PM   #16
buckster

Guns are doing their job

As a great founding father said; the government should be scared of it citizens not the other way around. If they are scared, why are they? Are they doing something wrong? What have they got to hide? Guns deter tyrants every time.
Old February 21, 2007, 12:21 AM   #17
p99guy

GeorgeF, there is the main Brady site and they have a blog on myspace.
The main site mentions the myspace blog.

this came from the myspace blog.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=88508969
Old February 21, 2007, 03:33 AM   #18
rhinov

I'm not the smartest guy in the world but it seems to me that they kind of contradict themselves. They talk about how these "sniper calibers" can shoot through armour and bullet proof glass, but then say how ineffective it is on killling big game animals. That dosn't make sense to me. I honestly have to force myself to read or listen to anything these people say. I am so sick of this kind of crap, it makes me want to puke.
Old February 21, 2007, 05:53 AM   #19
gnut

I agree with anon. Get fired up and contact your local politicians! Do not think for one second that Zumbo is alone. Last year in Nebrascka a friend of mine said he almost got in a fight with his guide over gun control issues. My friend thinks like we do. His guide mirrowed Zumbo's opinion. This particular guide probably has an open week now. Also Feinstein has already said she wants to ban all guns.
Old February 21, 2007, 08:25 AM   #20
22-rimfire

If you want to be fired up, get fired up at the politicians. That is the real battle. It never ceases to amaze me how certain politicians that are liberal hard core anti-gun get elected and re-elected term after term and then you see people from their state moaning about it. Just goes to show you that many citizens do not support the commonly expressed view here. Many feel the way Zumbo feels whether you like it or not, so get politically active and make your voice heard.
Old February 21, 2007, 08:30 AM   #21
simmoag

Zumbo was dropped

Remington and Outdoor Life have dropped Jim from their sponsorships. Now if we can only get this type of reaction to the new assualt weapons ban. Everyone should be contacting their congressmen.
Old February 21, 2007, 09:35 AM   #22
p99guy

He was/is an editor at outdoor life...outdoor life isnt a sponser, he is an employee...Cabelas however has joined the ranks of dropping him like a hot rock (they sell AR15s)
Old February 21, 2007, 07:30 PM   #23
hknut

Handgun Control Incorprated otherwise know as HCI has quoted old jimbo on their myspace page already. Saying even gunowners don't want these type of rifles! Becareful of what you say as it WILL be misquoted and recited on your behalf!

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old February 22, 2007, 01:06 AM   #24
p99guy

Then the next entry in thier blog was targeting the hunting rifles aka "Long range murder weapons", and "snipers guns" that Zumbo likes

you've got to read this guys blog about it...It is very well written and summs up the situation so far.
http://www.themartialist.com/0207/zumbo.htm

Old February 24, 2007, 03:16 AM   #25
triggernigger

Quote:
Arrrrghhhh. These people astound me.
Quote:
The 223, 308, 7mm mauser, 30-06, and 6.5x55 have no place in the hunting fields of France.
GeorgeF sorry to informe you that the guys are right, but only for a calibers not the use of high power rifle in hunting!!!

These are so called millitary cal. but instead of 30-06 they have some funny 1 or 2 mm longer or shorter case and name for the bastard like 7mm-30Mauser. The name is not correc but I know that the bastard 45ACP is called 45HP in Italy. In EU we have lot of HP rifle for sport and hunting and when the time comes like in my Fatherland we did used them for WAR!!! Power to the poeple!! The reason to ban so called military calibers is in fact that they did wont to prevent logistics in case of revolution. Defend 2sec. amandment!!!

In the countries like Swiss and Sweden and my Slovenia etc. you can have HP like Steyr SSG, AI AEW or any other sniper rifle only limit is you money! There is some limitation from state to state on cal. or some type of the rifles can be declared as mil. but in general you can hunt with 700 nitro!!! In my country you can NOT hunt with the 22.LR or similar low powered rifle, even for warmints!!!

Quote:
Whit out 2th amandment there is NO 1st Amendment Trigger[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]
Guys please forgive me on my poor English
Closed Thread