The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 12, 2018, 12:12 AM   #1
G.O. West

Mount a Burris FastFireIII Red Dot Reflex Sight on a Winchester Model 71 or 1886

Turnbull Restoration Co. sells a receiver mount that fits a Winchester Model 71 or 1886 (plus another size for the 1894), that allows you to install a Burris FastFire red dot reflex sight on these lever actions. I have shot my Model 71 in 450 Alaskan for 40 years with iron sights, but now that my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, I'm going to give this reflex sight a work out.

I found Turnbull's mount to be nicely made of light alloy. I mounted it on my Model 71 receiver and snugged up the adjusting screw (rear, R.S.) which removes any potential tipping movement of the mount from recoil. The two screws in the original side mounted peep sight holes, which hold the mount to the receiver, are not adequate by themselves to prevent this tipping movement. However, on my rifle, snugging up this adjusting screw caused the mount to tilt so far forwards and down that their wasn't enough adjustment in my Burris FastFire III sight to compensate. Therefore the rifle shot several feet hight at 50 yards.

The following is what I have done to remedy this problem: There are four short posts on the top of the mount that fit into corresponding holes in the reflex sight to help anchor it solidly. I drilled a 5/64" hole all the way through the top of the mount in the center of the front left post. Then I made a little steel pin from the shank of a broken 1/8" dia. drill bit. I turned one end to 5/64" dia. to fit into the hole I had made, and left the other end (the head) at 1/8" dia. For my rifle the head needed to be .175 " long.

This pin, when inserted upwards from the bottom of the mount, places its head on top of the left side of my rifle's receiver just in front of the left locking bolt. Now when the sight mount is attached to the rifle there is no possible forward tilting movement and the sight sits level as it should.

Old January 12, 2018, 12:32 AM   #2
G.O. West

My pictures didn't post so here are the attachments...

01b.jpg

02.jpg

03b.jpg
Old January 12, 2018, 12:35 AM   #3
G.O. West

One last picture (attached)

04b.jpg
Old January 12, 2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Wrought

I had a reflex sight on my rem model 14 in .35 rem for a while i could shoot great with it at the range but i found that when i was hunting the reticle wasn't fine enough for precise shots on deer in thick cover. I took it off and now i just use the factory sights like i always have. That was a nice fix, someone wouldn't even notice it if you didn't tell em.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:14 PM   #5
Charlie98

Why don't you just mount a receiver mounted peep sight? My eyes suck, I can't use the factory opens, but my 71 sports a Williams and it works fantastic.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 12, 2018, 09:07 PM   #6
G.O. West

I already have a peep sight on my other Model 71 so I thought I would try out something different.

Old January 12, 2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Charlie98

Gotcha.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 13, 2018, 09:50 AM   #8
NoSecondBest

I put one on my Win 1886 in 45-70 and it fit and worked with no modifications or alterations required....none. It worked better than I expected. My gun would shoot consistent five shot groups between 1.5 and 1.75" at my personal range of 114 yards. This particular caliber, with its numerous bullet weights and loads, can vary widely on its POI simply depending on the loaded cartridge. To its credit, the Burris FF3 held up perfect after a lot of firing under stout recoil.
Old January 13, 2018, 12:14 PM   #9
G.O. West

Perhaps the two mounting screw holes in my receiver are set slightly higher than normal. I have no way of knowing if they are original or added later. The 450 Alaskan has substantial recoil, but that shouldn't really be a factor. Over time, even a lighter recoiling caliber would tip the mount forward on my gun. I sent a note to Doug Turnbull, so I'll be interested in what he says.