The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 11, 2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Kvon2

Anyone Else Dislike Collapsible Stocks?

Specifically on the AR platform, I've just never found them comfortable! I recently bought my second AR and my first had an A2 stock on it. My second has an adjustable, M4 like stock and I just ordered a fixed magpul stock. I've shot plenty of other ARs with adjustable stocks and I just can't get a feel for them!

Anyone else?
Old January 11, 2018, 12:07 PM   #2
marine6680

A good stock like some Magpul models and others I find very comfortable.

The ones with the wider cheek rest work well.
Old January 11, 2018, 12:43 PM   #3
zukiphile

I think a good fixed stock always beats a good collapsable stock. My favorite AR stock is A1 length.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod41967.aspx

The Magpul fixed carbine stock with an extension pad is OK and inexpensive.

I like a stock that can adjust down to a length suitable for small women and children, or let a full sized fellow shoot a scoped rifle from the prone. It's the adjustability that is valuable rather than the collapsability.
Old January 11, 2018, 01:30 PM   #4
djw

the versatility of length is nice but I really desire a comb height that allows a firm cheek rest and not a lower jaw rest. the magput with the adjustable comb is nice but pricey.
Old January 11, 2018, 01:33 PM   #5
jimbob86

I prefer the A2 stock on a rifle. While collapsables are versatile, I like consistency. Plus, I like the "Doing!" sound.
Old January 11, 2018, 01:57 PM   #6
DaleA

I'm with Zukiphile---I always thought meh, they're 'tacticool' but not for me and then I saw how easily you could share one with kids and folk with shorter arms and now I'm kind of a fan.

If you let someone shoot your rifle you want them to have fun with it and be pleased. If they can't fit your rifle then that's much harder.
Old January 11, 2018, 02:09 PM   #7
RedHoundTargets

I’m in Ct so collapsibles are non grata on the AR platform but I do have one on a Mossberg 500 shotgun that I find quite comfortable and useful for what it is. It does prevent a good cheekweld somewhat but as others said, it’s nice to be able to adjust quickly to different people. Also useful for transport to shave off a few inches.
Old January 11, 2018, 02:19 PM   #8
zukiphile

Quote:
It does prevent a good cheekweld somewhat but as others said, it’s nice to be able to adjust quickly to different people.
Quote:
the versatility of length is nice but I really desire a comb height that allows a firm cheek rest and not a lower jaw rest. the magput with the adjustable comb is nice but pricey.
A couple hundred dollars is more than I want to spend on a stock too... but I've thought about it.

I don't have the cheek riser (I regulate the cheek weld via scope ring height), but I do have one of these. The storage is nice for a bore snake and it goes short enough to allow my 11 year old to use it.

http://vtsupply.com/images/BACP-black-5.jpg
Old January 11, 2018, 04:46 PM   #9
navajo

I have hated them since their introduction.
Old January 11, 2018, 05:25 PM   #10
Theohazard

A lot of my CQB training in the Marine Corps was learning techniques to work around the overly-long M16A2 stock. Now that I’m out I avoid fixed stocks, they’re way too long for my needs most of the time.

My regular AR has a Viltor Emod stock with their A5 buffer system. I could extend the stock all the way out and have it basically the same length as a fixed M16 stock if I wanted, but I prefer it shorter. And it’s just as comfortable as a fixed stock and also has storage options, but it has two different sling attachment options.
Old January 11, 2018, 05:28 PM   #11
pete2

I don't like or dislike them. Have a rifle with the regular stock and a carbine with adjustable, both work. The adjustable is an advantage if position shooting with a scope.
Old January 11, 2018, 06:01 PM   #12
rickyrick

I like A2 stocks in the civilian life. I’ve converted my best lower to an A2.
Old January 11, 2018, 06:10 PM   #13
Targa

The AR is the only platform I want an adjustable stock on.
Old January 11, 2018, 07:25 PM   #14
turtlehead

I love adjustable stocks. The CTRs are my favorite. Very comfortable and practical. The MOE SLs are a little fat for my liking. I would like to try the Magpul fixed carbine stock on my trunk AR. It looks nice.
Old January 11, 2018, 08:39 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

I really like adjustable stocks as well, but I tend to be a shoot and scoot kind of guy and don't spend hours perched on my rifle to scan my environment.
Old January 11, 2018, 08:45 PM   #16
Mobuck

For me, the adjustable stocks do have merit When you carry an AR as much as I do in varying weather and in/on vehicles, being able to change stock length is handy. What I don't care for is an adjustable stock on a longer barrel(or heavy barrel) AR. The skimpy stock leaves the package obnoxiously muzzle heavy.
Old January 11, 2018, 09:31 PM   #17
turtlehead

Just ordered the Magpul fixed carbine stock.

But now the rifle will be too short to fit in the rack at the range.
Old January 11, 2018, 10:17 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

I thought adjustable stocks would be nice ... until half the shots that I fired yanked beard hair. Not. Cool. At. All.

I still have one, just so the LOP can be shortened to accommodate smaller shooters, but I rarely use it, myself.
I have one upper that gets fired from the pistol lower; and a golf ball launcher upper that gets fired on the dedicated golf ball launcher lower (it's just a crap poly lower). The rest, 95% of the time, are only fired on my favorite lower with a fixed stock (Magpul MOE w/ longest extension for LOP).
The other lowers sit around, lonely, gathering dust...
Old January 11, 2018, 10:37 PM   #19
raimius

Once you find a good stock, it doesn't matter. I'm liking the Magpul STR right now.
Old January 11, 2018, 11:57 PM   #20
stagpanther

Not me!
Old January 12, 2018, 06:40 AM   #21
Ibmikey

The versatility of the AR platform is the ability for each shooter to set up the rifle in the manner to which they are most comfortable. Long stock, short stock, short barrel etc. “ whatever floats your boat”.
Magpul makes great products but don’t ignore the Rogers Super stock when shopping, they are light, versitle and inexpensive for a stock with a locking feature.
Old January 12, 2018, 07:24 AM   #22
9x19

I have one of Magpul's fixed stocks, somewhere... It came with a lower I bought.

All of my ARs wear MOE adjustable stocks. They work well for me.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:11 AM   #23
zeke

Having short arms, am liking adjustable stocks and stocks that come with spacers. Especially now they are putting them on bolt actions, saving me expense/effort of cutting down stock and hurting resale value. Yea they don't look as good, but am long past caring about the looks that much.
Old January 12, 2018, 09:13 AM   #24
Charlie98

I've always like the A2 fixed, when I built my lightweight carbine I found a 'shorty' fixed stock that works pretty well. It was actually too short as originally installed, I had to add a 1" spacer to the rear... the result is almost ideal for shooting peeps.

I have a new DPMS with a slider... I can see it's merits, particularly in this case. I switch between a red dot sight and a scope, being able to adjust the length of pull is nice. Magpul makes some very nice adjustable stocks, but the price of admission has me moving on...

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 12, 2018, 10:32 AM   #25
houser52

The adjustable on my Bushmaster rattled pretty loud and I hated that when hunting. It made me think that everything in the woods could hear me coming. I swapped it out for a Magpul fixed carbine stock with the thick recoil pad. It was inexpensive, rock solid, feels great and best of all, no rattle at all.
The LOP is a little shorter than an A2 but fits good when wearing a thicker jacket.

I have the rifle length ACE skeleton stock on 2 other rifles and really like them but the ACE entry stock was too short so I went with the Magpul and I'm very satisfied.

GOA Member