The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 3, 2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Bowhunter57

Alloy or Lead shot for coyotes?

I've recently patterned some Dead Coyote "T" shot with a Carlson .680" that produces a very good pattern at 50 yards. However, I have not had the same success with lead buck shot sizes of 00, 000, 4 buck (in 2 3/4" & 3", 12 gauge) at the same distance.

It would've been nice if I could've had both types of shot to pattern well at the same distance. It may be possible with another choke constriction, but I feel that the alloy shot will penetrate better at the same distances, over or better than lead.

Which type of metal shot do you prefer, alloy or lead, for coyotes?
Your thoughts on both metal types of shot, are welcome.

Thank you, Bowhunter57
Old October 3, 2013, 10:32 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

By "alloy", do you mean 'alternative metals' such as tungsten, bismuth, etc?
Lead shot is almost always an alloy containing lead, tin, antimony, and traces of arsenic or copper. Very little (nearly zero) commercial shot is produced with pure lead.
Old October 4, 2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Bowhunter57

By "alloy", I mean Hevi-Shot, Remington HD or Winchester Extended Range HD. A metal type that's heavier than lead and will cut through the fur instead of "balling up" in it and losing penetration.

Bowhunter57
Old October 4, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Are you limited to shotgun for coyotes?
Are you trying to eradicate or get pelts?

When I lived in the upper Midwest (ND), we used a 223 to the head, same as when I lived in NV as we were going for the pelts - they were worth over $65 at the time and several paid for a lot of gas and guns over the years
Old October 6, 2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Bowhunter57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_in_FL
Are you limited to shotgun for coyotes?
Are you trying to eradicate or get pelts?
BigD_in_FL,
The only limitations are no poison, no explosives and 30 rd. magazine capacity. So, that leaves the weapon field wide open...except for an RPG or M249.

As of right now, I'm trying to eradicate the coyotes off of the planet. Perhaps when it gets colder and the pelts become prime, I'll opt for my rifle and go for head shots. BTW...the rifle is a .25-06. As you can see, I ain't playin' with these fools! The deer population is taking a hit from these vermin and I intend to level the playing field, by a good margin.

Despite good patterns, the cost of the Dead Coyote ammo and the distance that I have to travel to purchase it, far out weighs the cost and availability of #4 buckshot. When I get a break in the weather, I'm going back out to pattern the 3 different choke constrictions that I have and go from there. If none of these choke tubes work, I'll call Carlson's to see what they recommend. I've had very good luck with them in the past.

Bowhunter57
Old October 7, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6
MarkCO

Have you tried the Federal Flite Control buckshot? They make a 2.75" and 3" 00 and supposedly there is a #1 Flite Control load out as well.
Old October 7, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Bowhunter57

[MarkCO=quote]Have you tried the Federal Flite Control buckshot?[/quote]
MarkCO,
I have both Federal and Hornady on my reloading bench and I'm about to pattern them, when the weather breaks.

Hornady Varmint Express with their Versatite wad with #4 buckshot.
http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-VX-4-Buckshot/

I'm hoping that they both pattern well, that way I can purchase/shoot which ever one I can get my hands on at the time.

Bowhunter57
Old October 8, 2013, 10:42 AM   #8
huntinaz

Bummer that the #4 buck isn't patterning well, a lot of guys prefer it although the T-shot loads are very popular too. A few guys really like the Remington HD BB (copper plated) as well. Lead #4 buck works for me, any other loads you could try?
Old October 9, 2013, 02:18 AM   #9
BuckRub

Your green letters are hard to read, I guess they're green so they're camouflaged.
Old October 13, 2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Bowhunter57

It doesn't matter what anyone else is using or how well it patterns, as it's too expensive for me to shoot. At $50 per box of 10 rounds, I'll pass and shoot buckshot.

I used an older Patternmaster choke tube, that I purchased back in the mid 90s and tested some 3" Federal Premium #4 bk., 00 bk. and 000 buckshot. I was very impressed with the patterns, all of which were at 44 yards. When this choke tube was in production, there were instructions that came with it, that stated for the best patterns Federal Premium buckshot had to be used.

Hornady Varmint Express 2 3/4" #4 bk., 3" S&B in 00 bk. and 2 3/4" Federal Premium in 00 bk. produced horrible (inconsistent/scattered) patterns at the same distance.

Federal Premium 3" #000 bk.
The #00 bk. patterned just as good as the #000, but I didn't get a picture of it. There were twice as many holes in the paper and a little wider spread. FYI, a dollar bill is exactly 6" long.

The holes that have flat lines are Federal Premium 3" #4 bk.
The circles are the Hornady Varmint Express 2 3/4" #4 bk.

The coyotes are in so much trouble!
Bowhunter57