The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2018, 05:14 PM   #1
mycanoe44

Win 70 magazine box dimensions

I have a 1982 Winchester model 70, push feed, 2 piece trigger housing, in .257 Ackley Improved. As you know the mod 70 has a long leade, so it's possible to load the 120g bullets out pretty far. The stock .257 Roberts mag box (“A” marked)has a rear spacer that limits total length to 2.86". I'm looking to increase that to 3.04" or so. It looks like a real chore to drill out the spot welds, shorten the spacer, re-weld spacer, and re-weld it into the box. I figured it would save time and effort just buying a different box with more usable space, I.E. a shorter spacer. Problem is, these boxes share several calibers and no where are specs listed as to inside dimensions. I did get someone to measure an “AM” marked box for 7x57 (.257 parent case) and it’s 3.25”, and must be shared with longer cartridges as the longest 7x57 COAL is 3.00”. 3.25” is longer than I would like. So the question is “which caliber or letter marked box would be closest to 3.04” internal length?????

I may have to change the follower also.