The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2019, 10:34 AM   #1
dyl

I "needed" this, right?

What's wrong with me. I started by looking for a Lee reloader: just their aluminum C-frame to use a collet bullet puller. Then I looked at what it would take to get something more usable to MAKE ammo. (I already have a progressive, but only have a progressive). I ended up with a Rock Chucker Supreme.

As of 2019 here was my logic in dollars:

Lee reloader: $40
Lee Challenger (aluminum O frame) ~ $70
Lyman "ideal" brass smith: cast iron C frame ~$70-some
Lee Classic Cast: $140
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme: ~165'ish from Brownells.

Rock Chucker Supreme only 20 something dollars more than Classic Cast?
I think the Classic Cast must have gone up, I know Brownells is currently on sale for about 20 dollars off for the Rock Chucker, but I wonder if the price was so close if so many would have still chosen the Classic Cast.

Then my choice was confirmed with this article https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04...tage-shootout/ with some fairly consistent performance out of the Rock chucker. I do have to keep in mind that the test only applied to *1* sample and tolerances from the factory can vary. But for just a little more I get to go from my stand buy budget minded brand to something I would consider a bit fancier.

I should add that I only have a 556 as far as rifles go - which makes this more ridiculous. But I could see myself reloading .223, 300 blackout, maybe 458 Socom and 450 bushmaster.

Last edited by dyl; June 27, 2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old June 27, 2019, 11:31 AM   #2
F. Guffey

You made a good choice, I have 3 Rock Chuckers and 14 Herter presses, most with one ram and one position for dies but I do have one Herter with 6 positions and another Herter that has 2 Rams. All of my Herter presses cam over, none of my Rock Chuckers cam over meaning my Rock Chuckers are not bump presses. Back to my Herter Presses; all of my Herter presses are bump presses.

I mention this because the link you furnished had a graph showing 'cam over' and I wondered how he did that with a press that did not cam over. I am guessing he has never heard of 'lever lock'.

I have an old book that evaluated reloading presses in the old days. One press listed had the appearance of a spider doing push-ups. I know the manufacturer sold one of the presses because I found one at a Flea Market in NAPA, California. The dealer specialized in commercial restaurant equipment, he was trying to sell the press as a juicer. I suggested he think about it because it would have to be mounted upside down if it was to be operated as a juicer. Anyhow, I purchased it for $15.00.

He wanted to know about the thing with mounting it upside down. I asked him if he has ever seen a bowl with a half inch bolt mounted in the bottom/center and there was this other hole with 7/8"X14 threads per inch.

F. Guffey
Old June 27, 2019, 12:29 PM   #3
dyl

Lol a juicer! Yes! When it comes time for me to get a Dillon 650 someday it’ll be for health reasons. Progressive juicing. Seriously, how could he try sell a press as a juicer with a straight face! Some people. Great story.
Old June 27, 2019, 12:54 PM   #4
DaleA

Quote:
trying to sell the press as a juicer
That just might be my new favorite reloading story. (At least in the non-explosive division.)
Old June 27, 2019, 01:08 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...from Brownell's..." They are not the least expensive place to buy anything. Never mind reloading kit.
A Rock Chucker Supreme is about strength(they're used a lot for forming cases) and it's going to last. Plus if you have any problems with it, even if you caused it, RCBS will fix it with a phone call.
Old June 27, 2019, 04:12 PM   #6
hounddawg

I agree the RC's are built like tanks, unfortunately the factory primer catcher will drop more primers than it catches. I modded mine with a couple of magnets from Lowes the cause the catcher to rock forward and hug the ram. A piece of plastic drinking straw inserted into the ram and it only spits about one in 20 old primers or so onto my bench. You can also find a variety of aftermarket 3D printed versions of primer catchers on EBay for a few dollars, never tried any but they seem to get good reviews
Old June 27, 2019, 04:36 PM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
You can also find a variety of aftermarket 3D printed versions of primer catchers on EBay for a few dollars,
Or you can develop shop skills. I have used 3M tape, when they went to different colors I went with them. I could never understand reloaders complaining about something that could be fixed if they got their hands out of their pockets.

I could have complained but I did not need the attention then and I do not need it now.

And then again I was in Newark at the big airport, the inspectors were checking shoes. They instructed a group from India to remove their shoes, I had nothing else to do so I added by shoes to the inspection. One of the inspectors asked me what the little round shiny circles that were imbedded into the soles of my shoes. I told them I used those for traction on ice and snow, anti-slip and slide knobbiest. They were happy with that. And the group that went through ahead of me informed me I was not from India.

F. Guffey
Old June 27, 2019, 05:06 PM   #8
higgite

I follow 2 simple rules to determine if I need something or not. Satisfying either rule qualifies as "needed".
1. If you want it bad enough, you need it.
2. If you think you need it, you need it.
Old June 28, 2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Reloadron

In the world of shooting and all things shooting there is a very fine line which is frequently obscured or blurred between need and nice to have. She who must be obeyed (wife) often reminds me of this when I see a gun I need or more reloading components I need.

You needed that Rock Chucker Supreme even though you may not have been aware of it. Fortunately for you, fate intervened. Now just enjoy.

Ron
Old June 28, 2019, 11:08 PM   #10
GWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgite View Post
I follow 2 simple rules to determine if I need something or not. Satisfying either rule qualifies as "needed".
1. If you want it bad enough, you need it.
2. If you think you need it, you need it.
Higgite, you're right.....here's an example of how that worked for me:

I thought I needed an RCBS Pro Chucker 7........yup I was right......loads .223 slick....case feeder-check, M die-check, powder drop-check, powder cop video- check, bullet feeder-check, seat and crimp on separate stations-check. Oh yes....it does .308 just as easy.

Testing the slightly modified case feeder.......

Hope I don't cause any undue "needs" for anyone..... ...just funnin' you guys.

Last edited by GWS; June 28, 2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old June 29, 2019, 10:48 PM   #11
dyl

You guys crack me up. Thanks for the sage advice, I will be re-reading this once the press comes in.
Old June 30, 2019, 07:21 AM   #12
std7mag

You needed it because it is green?
Or you have more dollars than sense?
Are you a precision bench rest competitor?

I load everything from 9mm to 7mm Rem Mag with a Lee 4 hole turret press.
For case forming (namely 6.5mm Rem Mag from 7mm Rem Mag) i use a Lee "C" type single stage press.
I have done forming with the turret press.

Note, if your putting more than about 20 lb of force on your press, something is wrong.

I should admit, last week I bought an RCBS 5-0-2 scale...
At a flea market, for $10...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...

Last edited by std7mag; June 30, 2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old June 30, 2019, 01:16 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

GWS,

Great video, but isn't it supposed to load ammunition?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 30, 2019, 07:04 PM   #14
GWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
GWS,

Great video, but isn't it supposed to load ammunition?
Yeah, you're right. I should make a new video of it loading ammo. If you remember the history, the Pro Chucker 7 had a problem or two out of the gate. I waited more than a year to see if the problems could be sorted out.

Only when I was sure I could (sort it out) did I buy one.....the seven stations were just too much temptation....and yes one can use all seven even loading rifle.....what with M-dies, powder cops, feeding/seating/crimping all in separate stations.

The video I posted was taken when I sorted out the optional case feeder.....so yes at the time it was a only test of the feeder.....ammunition did come soon after though.

I only posted, as an example of what perceived "need" can cost you.

I like the new press, but I admit, I didn't actually "need" it.....except to gratify a need to "see if I could make it sing". Rational? Maybe not. I admit I'm not always rational...rational can be boring.

Last edited by GWS; June 30, 2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old June 30, 2019, 08:45 PM   #15
Geezerbiker

I bought a used Rockchucker JR press 30 some years ago. It's always worked well and I've been trying to justify replacing it with a new Rockchucker for several years. It's hard to replace something that works so well...

Tony