The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 6, 2016, 07:35 PM   #1
Chainsaw.

SBR questions.

Washington state if it matters. Hopefully we will get SBRs back soon.

So far as the atf if concerned. If I want an AR SBR I have to get the lower registered as an SBR, right?

If I get a lower registered as an SBR can I use ANY upper I choose on it? I.E. can I use an 8" 300bo upper? How about a 16" 556 upper?

If I build it for 300bo can I make a 9mm upper and have the two uppera for the one lower?

Of course I want to do this all legally.
Old March 6, 2016, 11:40 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
Chainsaw.....So far as the atf if concerned. If I want an AR SBR I have to get the lower registered as an SBR, right?
To "make" an NFA firearm, you complete an ATF Form 1 and send a check for $200. Once it's approved you can then cut your existing barrel or install a shorter barrel.

Quote:
If I get a lower registered as an SBR can I use ANY upper I choose on it? I.E. can I use an 8" 300bo upper? How about a 16" 556 upper?
On the Form 1 it will ask for the bbl length, OAL length and caliber. You should list what you are actually making. AFTER you receive your tax stamp you are free to change caliber, bbl length, etc. ATF requests (not requires) you notify them when changes are permanent. (and rarely is anything permanent on an AR)

Quote:
If I build it for 300bo can I make a 9mm upper and have the two uppera for the one lower?
Yes.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 6, 2016, 11:57 PM   #3
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw.
Washington state if it matters. Hopefully we will get SBRs back soon.
SBRs are legal here in WA. The only issue is that the ATF and the DoL are currently interpreting the law that legalized SBRs back in 2014 as saying you can't build your own SBR on a Form 1 as a Washington resident. So the ATF is currently denying all SBR Form 1s that are filed by WA residents.

But all other federally-approved methods of obtaining an SBR are legal: You can buy one on a Form 4, you can give your parts to a Class 2 SOT and he can built your SBR on a Form 2 and transfer it back to you on a Form 4, and if you built an SBR on a Form 1 in another state you can bring it with you if you're moving to WA.

The 2014 SBR law was poorly-written and has previously been interpreted in other ways. A bunch of people are running around with legal grandfathered Form 1 SBRs from back when the DoL refused to interpret the new law so the ATF approved all Form 1s, but unfortunately that window didn't last that long. Supposedly there are legislative efforts being made to clarify the law and make Form 1s legal, but I don't know what progress is being made on that.
Old March 7, 2016, 12:09 AM   #4
Chainsaw.

Theohazard.

Ive read in a few spots that the newly written language for BUILDING SBRs in Wa has passed the house and is on its way to ruling and eventually getting passed, soo hopefully we can build em soon.
Old March 7, 2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Theohazard

Chainsaw, thanks for the info, that's good news.
Old March 7, 2016, 04:25 PM   #6
TMD

Once you get your tax stamp you can pretty much put any length or caliber upper on the lower. Only requirement is that you have the ability to convert it back to its original for that's on the form 1 or 4. On a side note you can also submit a request for permanent change.
Old March 7, 2016, 07:35 PM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD
Only requirement is that you have the ability to convert it back to its original for that's on the form 1 or 4. On a side note you can also submit a request for permanent change.
It's not a requirement, the ATF simply requests that you notify them of any permanent changes.
Old March 7, 2016, 08:02 PM   #8
Sharkbite

With AR's being kinda like "Lego's". The ability to return to the origional form 1 specs is always avail
Old March 7, 2016, 10:42 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
TMD Once you get your tax stamp you can pretty much put any length or caliber upper on the lower. Only requirement is that you have the ability to convert it back to its original for that's on the form 1 or 4. On a side note you can also submit a request for permanent change.
No such requirement.
ATF asks that you notify them when such a change is permanent.
Note that "asks" is not a requirement, merely a request.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 8, 2016, 12:11 AM   #10
Chainsaw.

Thanks guys. I dont have to tell you all about some of the baloney that floats around and hits people in the head. "I heard if you put a long barrel back on an sbr lower the atf will kick your door in, shoot your dog, rape your wife and handcuff your goldfish" kinda junk. Wouldn't want to get arrested for have disassembly pins in my ARs.
Old March 8, 2016, 01:54 AM   #11
Theohazard

Yeah, not only can you put any length or caliber barrel on your SBR lower, but if you put a 16" or longer barrel on it it's not an SBR. The ATF only considers it an SBR as long as it's in SBR configuration.

This means you can swap a 16" upper on to your registered SBR lower and federal law will treat it just like a normal rifle as long as it's configured that way. And you can put it back to SBR configuration at any time, but just keep in mind that as soon as you do federal law treats it like an SBR again.