The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2019, 04:33 PM   #1
DaleA

Lyman 8 Station Turret Press

Disclaimer: I don't own a turret press. I have a single stage and a progressive. I've said this before, I found something that worked and never much looked around for anything better. I am woefully ignorant about many of the things everyone else takes for granted. I think now, if I would have had a turret press I might not have gotten the progressive.

I've just seen the Lyman 8 station turret press. I've seen the Redding T-7 seven station turret press in the stores and was really impressed with it but (correct me if I am wrong) eight is more than seven and if more is better than too much must be just right. Am I right?

Actually I just saw the Lyman and it has mixed reviews on Midway so does anybody here have any info on it?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/75...n-turret-press

Thanks.
Old June 26, 2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I have an ancient Lyman Spartan Turret press. It was my first press, purchased because I had decided to join a local pistol league and shooting the .45 Auto was an impossible expense without reloading. It was perfectly fine, but I wound up getting a Dillon Square Deal for .45 Auto years later and that never does any other cartridge for me. The speed difference is dramatic. One stroke per completed cartridge verses four. The only drawback is caliber changing is slower.

I have no experience with that particular Lyman press, but if you want to reload just small numbers of odd caliber cartridges, nothing is wrong with a turret, either. A lot of folks favor the Lee Classic Turret. It has 4 stations, but you can swap out die plates on it to change calibers and it has the option to auto-index, which can speed things a bit. Changing the turret's die position manually takes enough time that on my old Spar-T press I wound up batch processing (size all the cases, change turret station, expand all cases, change turret station, cases charged off the press by an independent powder measure, and then seat all bullets, change turret station, crimp all cartridges.

The progressive saved me a lot of time.

With rifle cartridges, I find the extra steps (trimming, deburring and chamfering, removing case lube) interrupt either a progressive or a turret press loading process flow. I mostly use my Forster Co-ax press for rifle cartridges anymore.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 27, 2019, 02:52 AM   #3
DaleA

Thanks for the info.
I've really led a sheltered life reloading wise.
I'm thinking I might try a turret just to see what I've been missing. I'd like to see if the Lyman is as sturdy as the Redding T7 press. The extra turrets for the Lyman are under $50 too. It's something I'm considering.
Old June 27, 2019, 07:22 AM   #4
bull bob

I also have an older Lyman Spar-T turret press. I also have 2 other single stages and a Dillon 550.

I can't speak to the quality of the new Lyman vs the Redding. But they are both different from the Lee turret. The Lee is more of a compromise between a progressive and a single stage. It still takes one stroke per case, per die to do the job. Only thing it does is rotate the dies around the case in the shell holder.
The Redding and Lyman turrets basically allow you to have a complete setup of 2-3-4 dies set for a given cartridge, rotating between dies. And you can have multiple turret heads pre set up. I use mine to hold several special type dies such as universal de-capping die, universal expanding die, etc.
If you want to get automated get a real progressive press.

Just my 2 cents.
Old June 27, 2019, 07:51 AM   #5
jmorris

The only advantages a turret has with a single stage is all dies are kept together side by side. A single stage will have the same number of strokes per loaded round.

On some you can also keep dies pre set and swap them out quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3AGbx5YVZk
Old June 27, 2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Hammerhead

A turret has the same number of strokes as a single stage, but you don't have to move each piece of brass in and out of the shell holder for each operation.

Saves a lot of time.

The trouble with the 6, 7 and 8 hole turrets is if your process only uses 4 or 5 stations, you have to flip through the unused stations to get back to station 1.

I have the T-7, great press, but flipping through the unused stations became a chore. On the turret head that I use for 9mm and 45 auto, I disabled 2 of the detents so the unused stations didn't slow me down returning to station 1.

My other head is unmodified.

If you want a turret for speed, the Lee 4 station turret looks like the fastest, with only 4 stations and auto indexing, it will be faster than a manually indexed turret with 6 or more holes.

Been using the T-7 for over a decade, it's an outstanding press for 357, 45 Colt and rifle calibers, but it's become too slow to feed my hungry 9mm, so I'm adding a Dillon 550 BL for 9mm.
Old June 27, 2019, 04:35 PM   #7
marchboom

My first press was the 6-station Lyman Spartan Turret (red turret & gray frame). Still use it and love this press. BUT, like another poster stated, after using 4 dies you have to rotate the turret all the way back to the first die. Also, depending on how many dies you have, the cost of extra turrets (approx. $50 each) can quickly make this an expensive press. After owning all types of presses I would recommend the Forster Co-Ax. Initially it is expensive but then the expense is over. The big benefit of the turret press is that once you have the dies set properly you're done. With the Co-Ax once you have the dies set, you're done. And changing dies with the Co-Ax can be as quick as turning the 8-station turret back to the starting point. I was going to get the Redding 7-station press until a friend gave me a Co-Ax press. After using it I was hooked. But I do like the 8-station Lyman press for what it is.
RSO
Old June 27, 2019, 09:25 PM   #8
jolly roger

I broke an early Lyman Turret press just reloading 223 in fairly short order WITH properly lubed cases. There response? Zero response. Customer service was non existent. To be fair may have improved some...but I would pay extra for the Redding myself. Or...get a Lee Classic Cast Turret..not a THING wrong with those either
Old June 28, 2019, 07:35 AM   #9
jmorris

Quote:
A turret has the same number of strokes as a single stage, but you don't have to move each piece of brass in and out of the shell holder for each operation.

Saves a lot of time.
Maybe, the Lee auto index is the best argument on this one.

Lots of folks do the processes in batches so they size everything, then trim if needed, then prime them, next is powder followed by seating vs flipping the turret hundreds of times for every 100 loaded.
Old June 28, 2019, 07:57 AM   #10
Targa

$40-$50 for an extra turret?.... Makes me appreciate my Lee.
Old June 28, 2019, 12:27 PM   #11
F. Guffey

Again, I have a Herter turret press with 6 positions, there was a time the press could have been sent back for an additional 6 holes. Who needs a turret press? I do not know but when speaking for my self I find the turret as handy as pockets on 't' shirts.

I also have the Herter 2 ram press, same thing, it is handy for reloaders that know what they are doing. The turret is handy when forming cases, in the step sequence of events when forming cases it is necessary to 'back up' because do-overs, whups, kings-Xes etc. happen. When verifying your work when using a turret it is a matter of loosening the big hold down above the turret when 'going back'.

For example, I have formed many 8mm57 cases from 30/06 cases, once I formed the 8mm57 cases I form 7mm57 cases from 8mm57 cases and it goes on and on because I form 257 Roberts from 7mm57 cases.

There is nothing (involved in reloading) like setting up the big turrets and then rolling like a big wheel.

F. Guffey

And then; I have never has a problem loading up the turret with dies, that would include forming, sizing, seating etc. Then it comes to that part about hating to do something, when it gets to that point I do not di it.

Last edited by F. Guffey; June 28, 2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add k
Old June 28, 2019, 01:42 PM   #12
ms6852

I'm still a single stage kinda guy. I like to take a couple of days to load up rounds before going to the range. I just like to take it slow and easy.
Old June 28, 2019, 02:51 PM   #13
pete2

A turret press is still a single stage press. You don't have to screw the dies in and out every time tho. I have the Lyman T-mag II with six holes in it , I bought 2 more turrets for it. It's better than a one hold press but no match for my 550B Dillon. I still use the turret press for rifle and test loads for handguns. One fellow said he broke his press sizing .223s, I have loaded a bunch of .243 and .270 on mine, takes a lot more pressure than a .223. Must have been a defective press. I do not load rifle ammo on my Dillon, I don't shoot much rifle any more.
Old June 28, 2019, 04:26 PM   #14
F. Guffey

Quote:
I bought 2 more turrets for it. It's better than a one hold press but no match for my 550B Dillon.
I have the RL550B covered also but I would not punish it by forming cases with it. And then I have the (3) Rock Chuckers, I have not abused one of my Rock Chuckers even thought the ram fell out the bottom when after something felt strange when I shoved the handle back.

I called RCBS, as usual they said they would sent me another one. I wanted to know what they meant by 'another one'. They said another ram and instillation kit. I was happy with that but I would make the parts for the press before I took a chance on giving up my ole press. The other two Rock Chuckers are mounted to Piggy Back 11 attachments.

And then there is that part about rendering a press scrap; I use a no name lube for the tough to size cases. Most cases can be sized with any type of lube but when the going gets tuff I go with the no name stuff.

F. Guffey
Old June 28, 2019, 05:43 PM   #15
DaleA

I've seen the Redding T7 at stores and it looks like a big beefy press that would be consistent. I've only seen pictures of the Lyman but it certainly looks sturdy. Having dies already set up in the turrets seems like it would be a very appealing feature.
Old June 28, 2019, 10:17 PM   #16
GWS

ms6852 said,
Quote:
I'm still a single stage kinda guy. I like to take a couple of days to load up rounds before going to the range. I just like to take it slow and easy.
I like to load slow and easy too.....one slow stroke one loaded cartridge. Nearing 70 now, and I can tell you why I load on a progressive most of the time .....saves my body big time. I almost gave up reloading back in 2008, then I saw a progressive doing a number on .45 ACP's. I was sold.

Now I have two progressives, one for rifle and one for pistol. Life is slower and easier, but I load a heck of a lot more and a whole lot easier than I could have on my single or a new turret either. I went through a carpal tunnel operation and I don't want to do it again. The key to reloading longevity for me is a progressive.

Dale A, count the strokes to load a hundred rounds using the Lyman.....same as your single stage. Now count the strokes using your progressive.....yes with the turret it's faster to turn the turret than to replace a die on your single stage.....but that's all. Still gotta crank your arm off.

I still use my Rock Chucker, but only for load development, depriming prior to wet tumbling, and using a Grx Die to smooth up slightly glocked .40s&w.

But I know........that new yeller press looks damn cool.....I thought on it til I came to my senses.......my newest press is a Pro Chucker 7.....that'll keep me busy until I'm dead.....and hopefully won't wear out my wrist or my shoulder.

Last edited by GWS; June 28, 2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old June 30, 2019, 12:34 AM   #17
Marco Califo

I had an old Lyman 6 hole turret for over 30 years. Eventually, while moving, it fell and something got bent. Anyway, I updated to the T-Mag I think they call it now. I used it a lot as powder drop (rotate), seat bullet (rotate back), repeat. That was for pistol with a Lee PPM and powder through expander die, and the seating die. All other steps were prior batch steps. For rifle (223) I would use the PPM clamped to a plastic cutting board, and the Lee hand press for seating. That was portable and I could take it to the couch or a table. Or the range for that matter.
A turret (other than indexing Lee turrets) was never meant to compete with progressives. But if you were loading multiple calibers, they are useful. I am keeping mine and bought a Inline Fabrication Quick change plate for it.
I like Redding for top quality products. I have a Boss single stage that I really like, but tend to use for Sizing rifle brass almost exclusively. I got a quick change plate for that too.
As to the Redding 7: 1. Top quality and workmanship. 2. Seven versus Six versus 8? You have got to be kidding. Who cares? You would have to imagine some convoluted circumstance for that to make ANY meaningful difference. I do own a spare turret. Never kept both set-up. 3. Lyman lately has, in my observation, changed directions in a struggle to survive. In contrast Redding I think is as staid as ever. I have no knowledge about the 8- turret, and don't need it.
In my opinion, for a first press, the Lee Hand press is Super! Get two. Leave the universal decapping die set up in one. They are around $50. Turrets may be good, but, until you really know how and what you are going to load, and are actually doing it and finding what works best for YOU, you can't really know how and if you would benefit from owning a turret press.
I am thinking of trying the Lee Auto Breech Lock Progressive. It is an auto indexing turret that can be used as a progressive, or one cartridge at a time. For under $200 I am considering one for pistol, and calibers are easy to change, including 2 or 3 shellplates, included at under $200. 45 and 308 use the same one, as does 9mm and 40 S&W. Lee also sells a brass collator, and bullet feeder (beyond the $200). I do not prime on presses.

Quote:
Lots of folks do the processes in batches so they size everything, then trim if needed, then prime them, next is powder followed by seating vs flipping the turret hundreds of times for every 100 loaded.
"Flipping the turret" is effortless. Using my turret I have only rotated between powder drop and seating, and back. I do not believe the person quoted owns or uses a turret press. Everything else is done in batches and not necessarily on any press. Turrets do allow multiple calibers be set up at one time. That is their value.

Last edited by Marco Califo; June 30, 2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Two too many typos