The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Six Shooter Steve

Load info help

I have been gifted several boxes of speer gold dot 400grn 480 bullets and a pound of h4227 powder for my Ruger. I have been searching to no avail for load combos for these. Closest I can even find with the bullets is IMR4227? Im assuming this is not the hodgdon that I have. I looked at my older speer manual, speer and Hodgdon websites and nothin. anyone know where I can find the info? Thanks guys

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}
Old January 31, 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Sevens

...Did ya try Hodgdon's web site, the company that markets the powder? Their reloading data center online lists load data with both IMR-4227 and H4227 powder and also with 400 grain Hornady XTP bullets in .480 Ruger.
Old January 31, 2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Six Shooter Steve

sevens, I did check their site and only found info for 400grn XTP bullets. I think the powder charge would probably work with the gold dots, but the COAL is what I am worried about. The gold dots have a flat nose, and the factory ammo XTP's I have do not.

Old January 31, 2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I am going out on a limb her and say you are worrying much about nothing. load to 1.650" and go shoot. Then tell me what the recoil is like, that has to be a thumper.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 31, 2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Six Shooter Steve

Yeah shes a real thumper alright I usually shoot the 325grn but am wanting to workup a deer huntin load with the 400grn. Im sure the 400gr loads are gonna be some real thumpers!

Old February 1, 2010, 03:28 AM   #6
Uncle Buck

If you can not find the exact bullet that you have illustrated in/on one of the powder sites, go to the nearest looking bullet/weight and start low with the powder.

Also, Loaddata.com and handloads.com might have what you are looking for.