The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2010, 12:47 AM   #1
nuclearmeltdown

IMR 4064 / Lee Loader / 6.5x55 M96 Mauser

I have an diopter-equipped FSR Swedish M96 from Allan's Armory ready to be picked up at the local shop and have been looking to load up some once-fired PRVI brass to save a few bucks for punching paper. I'd like to obtain a Lee Loader (the one that uses the hammer) because it's I have little cash to devote to reloading and I live in an apartment with absolutely no chance of having a reloading bench.

Anyway, I had a fellow TFL member send an email copy of his charge table from his 6.5x55 Lee Loader kit. It lists 33.6 gr (one scoop of a 2.5 cc measure) of IMR 4064 as being ~2150 fps in the 130-140 gr range of bullets.

However, he mentioned that his charge card seemed to be quite old. So then, two questions:

1) Has IMR 4064 changed at all in the past 20 - 30 years that would make this load any different than what was written back when the card was made?

and

2) Just to be sure, is this a "safe" load, pressure- and velocity-wise, for the long-barreled M96 action? I know that Lee Loaders are on the conservative side (some would say 'underpowered'), but it never hurts to double-check with reloading. I don't want excessive pressure or bullets lodged in the barrel.

The answers may seem obvious, but I can't be too cautious.
Old January 31, 2010, 12:58 AM   #2
madd0c

Not trying to dodge your question, but when you say you can't be too cautious, I would HIGHLY caution you to get a scale. Even a cheap $10 one off ebay is better than nothing, and a LEE saftey scale can be had here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=712103

and is currently on sale for $19.79

$20 is a REALLY good insurance policy, and you can use modern reloading tables. Not that volumetric measuring isn't good(It is how the majority of powder charges are measured in powder throwers) but you need to be able to check the final weight and not just rely on the volume.

Just my 2cents
madd0c
Old January 31, 2010, 01:46 PM   #3
azar92

nuclearmeltdown,

I'm glad the card gave you a place to start, but I would second the recommendation of getting a scale. Most people who have used the Lee safety scale claim it is quite accurate, although more of a pain to use than the higher end ones.

All of the charges on those cards are very conservative. The charge they list with their dipper is actually below Hodgdon's (IMR's) minimum recommended load for a 140g bullet.

Winchester Brass
Winchester WLR primer
IMR 4064 35.0g start, 38.0g max
3.030" COAL
140g Speer SP

You should be able to get 2,450 fps to 2,550 fps with a 140g bullet quite safely in an old military surplus mauser. You should be safe with that data, but it's pretty anemic.
Old February 1, 2010, 12:04 PM   #4
nuclearmeltdown

Thanks for the info. I will be getting a scale, both for developing the loads and for the sake of consistency. The dippers seem to allow for some slight error -- OK for plinking, but not for seeing what a rifle can do.

Despite being below minimum and pretty slow, the load on the charge card might be a good plinking/extra low recoil load.