The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2010, 05:56 PM   #1
tristar viper

Want some re-loading recommendations...

The wife and I have decided to start re-loading. She'll do her .380's, and I'll do my 9mm and 38 special.
Already have a press, the questions I have center around two things; dies and powder.
What are good dies? I have had guys say carbide dies are the best. I'd like to know what guys who actually do re-loading think and prefer.
And powder; would all these re-loads (.380, 9mm, and 38 special) take the same powder? Recommendations please....

Thanks!!
Old January 29, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
zxcvbob

Do you have a reloading manual? You should have bought that the very first thing. (I really like Lyman's 48th because that's what I started with. They are probably up to 49th or 50th by now) Read the first few chapters over and over.

Yes you want carbide dies. It's not even easy to find steel pistol dies anymore except in a few weird cartridges like 7.62x25. I'm really happy with my Lee 3-die sets. I've bought the 4th die in the set (the "Factory Crimp Die") separately just for .357 Magnums with cast bullets; in other cartridges I don't need it and you probably won't either. Unless you just want to use it; that's OK too.

Unique is a very good powder in all of those cartridges, and it's a top performer in .380. Bullseye is also very good, and it measures easier than Unique. It won't give you loads as hot as Unique (especially in .380) but maybe you don't want that... W231 is another good choice, and it measures even easier than Bullseye.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by zxcvbob; January 29, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old January 29, 2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Don P

I would recommend Titegroup powder. Meters very well and shoots cleaner than Unique. I use it in 38spl/357mag, 9mm,40S&W and 45acp
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 29, 2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Flint Ridge

Check out Brian Eno's

There is a wealth of info on this site.

You may even get the Blue itch and buy Dillon equipment as I have.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?

Section specific to reloading, do some searching around there. This site caters to serious shooting folks in competitions etc.
Old January 29, 2010, 06:40 PM   #5
oneounceload

Unique, Universal CLays, Clays, Bullseye, are among MANY powders that can be used successfully in all of those calibers.

Carbide dies do not require the lubrication that steel dies do. I prefer RCBS dies - have used them about 30 years now.

And to second the previous poster - you need manual, preferably several - not just for the load data, but for the basic understanding of what you're doing to avoid pitfalls or potentially dangerous scenarios.

Lyman is good, The ABC's is another as are the manuals from Speer, Sierra, Hornady and many others.
Old January 29, 2010, 06:43 PM   #6
bignz

W231 is a top performer in those calibers. Check out the reloading section of this forum for much more information. Buy several manuals and read them, and re-read them.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:05 PM   #7
mrawesome22

Hornady's Titanium Nitride dies are the cat's meow if you ask me.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:42 AM   #8
tom234

Nothing wrong with Lee dies and they are reasonably priced. Get the carbide 4 die set that have the FCD. [The 4 die Lee set will be cheaper that other maker 3 die sets]. Carbide dies are the ONLY way to go.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:47 AM   #9
mnhntr

Get the Lee Die Set with the factory crimp die included. As for a powder that will do those calibers, I suggest Hodgdon's Tightgroup or Accurate #5.
Old January 30, 2010, 02:08 AM   #10
Hook686

You do not say what press you have. If is a 4-die press, I'd buy the Lee 4 die Carbide die set. If it is a 3 die press, I'd buy the Lee 3 die Carbide die set. Yes manuals, calipers, scale, powder and bullets I find necessary in addition to the press. I use Unique powder in 9mm (don't load .380) and jacketed bullets. I prefer Winchester Small Pistol primers, but will take whatever is on the shelf.

Good luck, enjoy, and read the manual.

Did I remind you to read the manual. That is a very good idea.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 30, 2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Jim243

Winchester 231 for powder, comes out of powder measures right on the button, cleaner buring (less mess in barrel), works in all calibers and is listed in almost every handgun weight and caliber load.(easy to find load data for).

What's not to like.

Jim
Old January 30, 2010, 09:53 AM   #12
Dustin0

Carbide dies make relaoding alot easier. There is no need for case lube with them. I use red dot for all my pistol and shotgun loads. It not the cleanist powder out there. But it does make soft shooting loads for shotgun and 45. I have to get back to you on the 357.