The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2020, 05:33 PM   #1
BJung

keeping pc cast from sticking

I'm experiencing my powder coated bullets sticking to the aluminum after the third use. Before doing so, has anyone sprayed Pam on the aluminum so the pc wouldn't stick? Just curious.
Old June 5, 2020, 06:51 PM   #2
big al hunter

I have a cheap silicone baking sheet for my PC pan. Works great. Make sure you trim it 1/2" short of the sides of the pan. It expands during heating and the bullets don't stay where you put them.
Old July 4, 2020, 06:26 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Get a roll of the Reynolds Non Stick foil. We've been using it for a good while for baking and BBQ and it works awesome for the PC bullets. They will stick but pop right loose by just rubbing them by hand.
Old July 4, 2020, 08:42 AM   #4
reddog81

Are you using non-stick aluminum foil?
Old July 4, 2020, 09:07 AM   #5
BJung

I'll add this to my test. I bought another pan at the Dollar Store to test with using a silicon spray and I bought a silicon pad too. I initially baked my bullets standing upright. The problem I had here was that some paint on the base adhered to aluminum. I hat to rebake the paint on the base and laid the bullets on the side. I plan to bake the bullets on their side and see what happens next. Maybe the bullets will slide or roll off the pan into the bucket of water I use to temper the bullets.
Old July 4, 2020, 09:54 AM   #6
res45

I use non-stick foil as well as parchment paper and I stand all my bullets up both pistol and rifle. Parchment paper is coated with a food grade silicone and nothing stick to it.

I can get a couple uses out of one piece before I have to toss it because it becomes parched for lack of a better term. Everyone has their own way of doing things and if that suit there purpose thats all that matters.

My pan is small so I'm kinda limited on how many I can put on a pan but I have several pans that I rotate in and out of the toaster when I'm coating a large batch. I guess I'm picky about my coating but for me it's about quality no quantity.

Coating some bullets with Smokes Super Durable Clean.

Old July 4, 2020, 10:50 AM   #7
BJung

Nice photo

Those look nice too. I use tweezers to set up my bullets as well while grumbling why I'm spending so much time doing it but knowing that I want quality too.

When you say parchment paper, you mean the baking wax paper? Does it stick at all? I had bullets stick to aluminum sheet and I had to pick off pieces of aluminum for my bullet base? Do you have that with the parchment paper?
Old July 4, 2020, 01:04 PM   #8
res45

This is the kind I use, I'm sure some of the other brands work just as well but to answer your question, no it doesn't stick at all and the bullets slide right off the tray when I dump them in the water bucket to quench.

I also use the Reynolds brand of non-stick foil and it works great too till the coating starts to wear off.

{Res45, please read the board policy on posting copyrighted materials}