The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 3, 2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Boberama

I can see why you don't allow avatars. It somehow makes the site seem lower-class, less serious and unreputable in many instances.

But how come Youtube tags aren't allowed? It would let a user watch a video without clicking a link and allow them to see what they would be watching.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about. What is a "Youtube tag"?
Old April 3, 2011, 07:26 PM   #3
ausher

It makes the video appear in ones post.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Boberama

Yeah, like this:

[YOUTUBE]H54fshF56[/YOUTUBE]

and then you see the video.
Old April 3, 2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Obviously, that's not included in the standard tag set from vBulletin. I imagine it is an add-on from somewhere. We have no plans to add it to our tags at this time. We prefer to leave the option to view a video or not up to the individual member through the use of a URL link rather than having a multi-megabyte video autostart every time they open a post containing it.
Old April 3, 2011, 09:09 PM   #6
OldLincoln

Not an add-on but requires it to be added to the allowed BB Code list. See here for more: VBulletin
Old April 4, 2011, 06:20 AM   #7
reconcoupe

@Mal

In support of adding youtube, the video neither autostarts, nor autobuffers, forcing no one to watch or waste bandwith for a video no one wish's to see.

Please see this link for an example of how the video looks and acts in a thread.
Personally I think its no worse than an extra large picture in a thread.

http://www.geekpoint.net/forum-admin...vbulletin.html

The video is 3 or 4 posts down.

So merely my opinion, I don't make the big bucks or run things.
Old April 4, 2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

Thanks, that explains the function a little better. It doesn't exactly "let a user watch a video without clicking a link". In essence the link is an image retrieved from Youtube with each post view, but you do have to click on it.

I don't see how adding the first image from a video is a big advantage over a plain URL link to Youtube. Nonetheless, we'll discuss it and see if it's something we want here.
Old April 4, 2011, 12:29 PM   #9
tyme
Staff

I'm having trouble thinking of videos that would be so relevant to discussion on TFL that they merit linking, much less embedding. If there is one occasionally, it's certainly unusual enough that the difference between linking and embedding doesn't make a significant difference to anyone.

That said, video embedding on the web is ubiquitous, and if there were relevant content that could be embedded while maintaining TFL's S/N ratio, I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

I think the concern is not whether embedded videos are good or bad for TFL, but rather how TFL members' use of that feature would alter the S/N ratio and increase moderation overhead, all for very little benefit.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old April 10, 2011, 03:06 PM   #10
10 Beers

I think it's classier without that junk.
Old April 10, 2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Tombstonejim

I don't like it either. It is just " my guns bigger than yours" juvenile trash.
Old April 10, 2011, 03:31 PM   #12
jbrown

this is the internet,and 2011.
embrace technology,fer chrissakes.
Old April 10, 2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

There have been many occasions where I've watched some embedded videos on other sites. So, I've been conflicted about any response I might make in this thread. Until now, that is.

Five or six years ago our patron, Rich Lucibella, went on a crusade to get rid of some of the really stupid stuff some people do. One that really peeved him was the tendency of people to paste a link or an entire article and make no effort to direct the conversation of the thread they just created. To be fair, people would do the same thing in responding to another member, as if the link or cut-n-paste article was all that needed to be said. Rich coined the term, "Drive-By Cut and Paste Post" (click on the link for an explanation of what this is).

Back when the old Legal & Political forum was still active, Dave (the Bluesman) and I had had so much of this activity, that we made it a forum specific rules violation. This rules violation was carried over to the new Law and Civil Rights forum.

That helped the L&P and L&CR forums, but folks were just hitting the rest of the board harder and harder with these types of posts. Bud, over in the General Discussion forums, began using the "Drive-By" rules Dave and I had set up.

Finally, we arrived at the point where all the mods were blocking these posts, so it became a General Forum Rule.

Now, in taking a hard look at other forums, and their use of embedded you tube videos, what I saw was the same thing. Post an embedded video with not much more than a "Hey! Look At This, Guys!"

...sigh... Classic Drive-By, +90% of the time.

No, instead of allowing the embedded videos, I'll vote to continue just allowing the link with the appropriate commentary by the person who posts it. Just like any other link or partial pasting of articles, anywhere else on the Firing Line.