The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2010, 04:57 PM   #1
jpsshack

Cast bullets through an H&K USP

I'm putting together 100 or so target rounds using hard cast, 200gr. 45 cal, to be shot out of a USP. Will these be alright in the polygonal rifling at around 800fps?
Old January 30, 2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Doby45

Same as a Glock barrel, some people swear it is fine and some swear you will blow your hand off. I think your gonna be in the realm of having to try this out for yourself. I would say shoot a few at a time and check the barrel frequently..
Old January 30, 2010, 11:59 PM   #3
jpsshack

Alright, thanks.
Old January 31, 2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Shoney

First, the polygonal barrels of Glocks are entirely different from USP polygonals. As for shooting lead in Glocks or any other polygonal barrel, it is perfectly safe as long as you check often for leading of the barrel AND CHAMBER. Read this post #11:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...highlight=myth

I have shot thousands of cast bullets through my USPs and have had OK results.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 31, 2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Doby45

Just as I stated. Now I promise you, within 2 days SOMEONE will come in here and tell you that shooting lead in a polyoctagonal barrel is a bomb waiting to go off. I personally go along with Shoney as I have owned both a H&K USP 40 and plenty of Glocks. All of which I have shot lead in.
Old February 1, 2010, 06:37 PM   #6
jpsshack

Thanks, guys. I had it out today and checked it out with a barrel lite after every few shots. Everything looked OK-I told the owner to just keep an eye on things, barrel and chamber. Definitely some economical shooting!