The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 7, 2017, 12:01 PM   #26
tahunua001

how bout a muzzled mosin nagant carbine?
FN five seven handgun
muzzled AR pistol
I don't see how an RONI would be bad for those around, half the guys that frequent indoor ranges use glocks already, all it is is a plastic enclosure that gives you a butt stock for your handgun...

I think 300 WBY mag would be a fun one to shoot indoor just to see the looks from the others.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:10 PM   #27
P5 Guy

Strum-Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:13 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

Being this is in the handgun forums, and it seems most are concerned with indoor ranges I didn't mention my braked Remington 700 7MM Magnum. But I will say I once heard a man telling his young son that was shooting in the booth next to me at an outdoor range "That's OK, maybe next time there won't be somebody with a field artillery piece next to us".
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 7, 2017, 12:17 PM   #29
CalmerThanYou

Tahunu....I did not catch the noise point of the thread. I was going off pure obnoxious factor of the gun itself. I dislike the concept of taking a handgun, enveloping it is cheap plastic and making a SBR. But that is just one guys humble opinion.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:38 PM   #30
HistoryJunky

I'm sure there's worse, but when I shoot my Yugo AK with brake at the indoor range it's been cleared a few times.

I only shoot it indoors when it's real cold out.

I'm guessing an AK pistol has to be pretty brutal, noise wise.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old May 7, 2017, 12:59 PM   #31
Cheapshooter

Other than rifle caliber handguns like my Contender mentioned earlier I will say I have been told my TT33 Tokarevs, and CZ52 in 7.62x25 "barks" pretty good. Especially with some of the hotter milsurp ammo I have. Not to mention the basketball sized fireball it emits.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 7, 2017, 02:38 PM   #32
TXAZ

Some of the snubbies have a very harsh report.

Next to that it's the gun that won't stay pointed down range / sweeps others when connected to a careless owner.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old May 7, 2017, 02:58 PM   #33
SIGSHR

At my usual range I found and S&W 500 a few ports down very dstracting. Conversely at another recently rebuilt indoor range I had a .223 to my left and a .243 and 30/06 to my right-and was not bothered.
Old May 7, 2017, 09:24 PM   #34
Yung.gunr

The biggest handgun I've shot next to was a S&W 50, whatever it is, I don't remember. That thing was a beast. Said his son gave it to him as a gift and after his first time shooting a full cylinder he learned to load only one at a time.

Most obnoxious handguns I have are relatively tame. A 4" .357 mag and a Yugo M85np (.223 with 10" barrel).

Some of you guys have regular hand canons, my bad wrists couldn't stand up to that.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:50 PM   #35
chuckscap

Any rifle over 6mm caliber with a brake. Next 454 Casull snubbie.
Old May 8, 2017, 03:42 AM   #36
Hal

I've read here that the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine is very obnoxious (loud).

Others have also made comments about using Blue Dot powder & the wonderful balls of flame it can produce .

My personal noise maker is a 12 ga SxS coach gun.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:16 AM   #37
Tinbucket

Most obnoxious gun?

The Heritage Revolvers of some alloy and that stupid lump for a safety.
S&W with the Hillary ...safety.
Any bead blasted lump with a chunk of molded rubber for a grip.
New weird stocks and guns with rasp on three sides and receiver neccissitating , armored gloves or rubber covers and with three or four sights and lasers and lights hanging at all angles and spare fore grips and bizarre fluted and twisted barrels or in other words kids toy guns that shoot.
Aluminum receivers, aluminum shotguns, aluminum pistols, aluminum anything. Wife won't even cook with aluminum.
Aluminum is only good on wing flaps and to start fires.
Stickers and and painted guns. God have mercy on those horrible abused shotguns at Sporting Clays.
Pink guns, painted blue guns, blue hair, camoflougeee painted guns designed to induce nightmares and poor spelling.
I tell you whut, my dog won't hunt carrying one of these things.He'd probably bite me or go hunt with someone else or hide behind sunglasses and a moustache. No self respecting dog wants to be seen with a ble and pink camo painted shotgun with bright red and gold stickers.
Old May 9, 2017, 04:51 AM   #38
thibaultfelix40

If you are shooting next to a couple , touch off your blaster and she says to him," His is bigger than yours ", obnoxous becomes golden.
Old May 9, 2017, 06:50 AM   #39
BubbaBlades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ10KIdDRwo

I use an AK pistol, AR pistol, .30 Ruger Blackhawk and several .327 magnums at my local indoor range. All are loud and I try to go to the range early so few if any other shooters are around.

The loudest gun that I use indoors is the S&W 460 Magnum snubbie that is shown in my above YouTube video.

Mark
Old May 9, 2017, 11:18 PM   #40
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckscap View Post
Any rifle over 6mm caliber with a brake. Next 454 Casull snubbie.
I agree. Last week I went test fire my Hakim in 8mm. I was startled by the noise and the shock wave felt on my face. It was the muzzle brake. It was loud but hardly any felt recoil. It must be way louder to anybody standing next to me. I stopped after 5 rounds. Had no intention to be an a-hole.

Hakim was an Egyptian military rifle. Can't imagine how it would work in a real combat. The whole infantry platoon would be deaf when the sergeant signaled cease fire.

-TL
Old May 10, 2017, 12:42 AM   #41
Gunplummer

I was at a large indoor range in North Carolina in 1972 or 73 and had just bought a new Marlin 45-70. I had some 405 grain Winchester and I and my Buddy commenced shootin'. The owner must have thought that rifle was pretty obnoxious because he threw us out for wrecking the backstop behind the target.
Old May 12, 2017, 09:54 AM   #42
gglass

Mosin-Nagant at an indoor range. The fireball and concussion are far worse than just about anything else I've had shot next to me. Hate 'em!
Old May 12, 2017, 11:02 AM   #43
natman

Quote:
Strum-Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine.
+1

The first time I heard one, my reaction was "What the ^&*% was THAT!?"
Unpleasant even with muffs and plugs.

Close contender: 7mm Magnum rifle with a muzzle brake. Ouch.

Last edited by natman; May 13, 2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old May 13, 2017, 08:06 AM   #44
mikejonestkd

I have a 15" .308 win barrel with a factory brake in it for my encore. It always get attention at the local range.
I thought it was obnoxious until my brother put a JP howitzer brake on his 15" .270 win barrel on his encore.....
Old May 22, 2017, 02:28 AM   #45
Bluecthomas

There's a video on YouTube featuring a 50 bmg blowing lettuce and paper towel rolls to shreds just by placing them to side of muzzle.

I'm a member of an indoor range. Short barrelled 12s are loud and annoying to the ppl not firing them. Larger caliber ar styles being fired as rapidly as possible are also guaranteed to throw your aim off.
Old May 22, 2017, 03:03 AM   #46
Badgerstate

Last week I saw a video of a guy shooting a 12-gauge handgun. That thing has to rank right up there with me.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:10 AM   #47
4V50 Gary
Staff

12 gauge handgun? How long was the barrel and was it rifled?
Old May 22, 2017, 10:28 AM   #48
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary
12 gauge handgun? How long was the barrel and was it rifled?
The 12 Gauge Shotgun I saw on you tube had the barrel sawed off to where a 3 inch shell would be flush with the end of the barrel. I'm not sure if the barrel was rifled or not but the gun had a stock. The guy tested it using a string at first (with gun bolted to a table) and then by himself. I don't know what would happen with a 3.5 inch shell...I think he referred to having a tax stamp.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:24 AM   #49
Recoil spring

Black powder cap and ball revolvers.

I used to shoot black powder cap and ball revolvers, so did my shooting buddy. We would usually have 2-3 that we would take to the range, either Pyrodex or original black powder was used. These were either .36 or .44 caliber, six shot guns.

I prefer outdoors for these, but we were regulars in the indoor ranges too due to the weather being cold in Minnesota in the Winter. I remember cocking and firing my Colt/Remington replicas and just spewing out thick smoke one shot after another like a garden hose, that rotten egg smell. The lanes would look a heavy fog after just one revolver fired, than the other one would go boom, boom, etc. Slow to reload, we were shooting for hours. We saw people leave in short order, than had the place to ourselves gagging on the smoke.

Eventually these indoor ranges outlawed black powder gun usage, but did get "Black powder nights" due to some members wanting to shoot their smoke poles.

The other is when I shoot at my rifle club the .308 cal. AR-15's with the muzzle break next to me actually slap my face from the side blast.
Old May 25, 2017, 02:12 AM   #50
armoredman

Why would you want to be obnoxious? Save the artillery for an out door range, if you can. The worst hand cannon I was next to was actually a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag, but that was a very long time ago.
I wouldn't want to drive people away - might be some new shooters there that will be completely turned off by the experience.