The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 24, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
TCman

Double revolver shoulder holster issues

I have a smith model 10 round butt 4 inch tapered barrel that I am very fond of. I figure the only thing better is another one just like it, so I have been looking for another. Apparently this is a somewhat uncommon model, but I will find one eventually.

When I eventually find another I want a classic looking shoulder holster to carry both model tens in. I want to carry them vertically, and possibly have the ability to also carry a speedloader with each gun. I have looked all over the net for some double revolver shoulder holster pictures, but haven't found much. After I get some Ideas I would also need a custom maker to make the holsters. Any ideas? Im looking for something old school. Mabe looking like it was from the 1920's-1940's.
Old October 25, 2013, 01:33 AM   #2
DaleA

Been watching 'The Mummy' and 'Last Man Standing'?

Both are worth one viewing but probably not much more than that. 'Last Man Standing' was 1911's but still an impressive double shoulder holster rig.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:42 AM   #3
g.willikers

If you can't find one to buy, it shouldn't be all that hard to either make one yourself, or have a local leather guy do it.
With all the choices for holsters for those guns, you could probably use ready made ones.
Show us the results when it's done, please.

A late uncle left one of those behind in a period holster.
One of these days I'm going to succeed in talking his 74 year old daughter out of it.
I keep telling her that a good Democrat like her shouldn't have a gun in the house.
Too dangerous.
But she's a Texan and ain't going for it.

Last edited by g.willikers; October 25, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old October 25, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

Galco makes a modular shoulder rig you can buy complete or as separate components.
It can be set up for dual-guns, but not for two guns & speedloaders too.

Denis
Old October 25, 2013, 10:40 AM   #5
CWKahrFan

Pricey ($300) but interesting... Both look very gun-specific and customizable... (I guess they're from the same manufacturer... BH ). Click on pics for bigger views:

http://www.lonestarholsters.com/product/BH4DG

https://blackhillsleather.com/should...r-holster.html

Last edited by CWKahrFan; October 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old October 25, 2013, 12:11 PM   #6
BigJimP

In the model 10's I know they got rid of the sq butt and tapered barrel in 1995 - 1996 ( during the dash 10 eng series ) ...../ and the model 10's were first made in 1957 ( prior to that they were the M&P) ...so between 1957 and 1995 ....you'd think there would be some round butt 4" guns out there....but for every model 10 I see, easily 90+ % of them are square butt frames...( which I like personally - because it fits my hands better )....but I sure don't see many round butt frames...

and I see way more 4" models ( than the 2", 5" or 6" models )....so they have to be out there somewhere....
------------
I think you're going to have to go custom if you really want a double shoulder rig....
Old October 25, 2013, 10:28 PM   #7
charleym3

I was looking for one of those too

For a pair of 625s. But the weight! Holy cow that will be heavy.
Old October 28, 2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Sharpsdressed Man

This is what you are looking for. A revolver version of Bruce Willis' "Last Man Standing" rig, as offered by Idaho Leather. I have one for .45 Colts, and it is a great rig. http://idaho-leather.com
Old October 28, 2013, 10:25 PM   #9
jessedehaven04

stoner holsters are a class act, i admit im a little bias because my father inlaw works their but they are a great small shop doing quality work, if you contact them im sure they can get you a classic looking shoulder holster for not that bad for a leather holster, they are a great little shop.
Old October 28, 2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Bill Akins

I made my own set of double shoulder holsters for my S&W 1917's, out of straps from several Sam Browne belts and two 1917 repo holsters.

But you said you wanted a retro 1920's to 1940's look. I can think of no better look for that than the Rick O'Connell twin shoulder holsters from the movie "The Mummy". Paul Bowden (the maker) was selling these for $150.00 less than two years ago.

And here's a few more pics of Paul Bowden's "The Mummy" twin shoulder holster rig, that I posted about in the S&W forum at this link....http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/...#post136459356

This first below link is to the maker (Paul Bowden) whose rigs I showed in the pics. Click on "3 reviews" and look on the left side of the page where you can see the maker (Paul Bowden) and you can contact him for quotes and custom work. Paul was charging $150.00 for the double rig less than two years ago.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/94003736...-rick-oconnell

Below link is another maker that is a costume maker that also makes the Rick O'Connell holsters, but his cost $300.00 compared to Paul Bowden's who was charging $150.00 (as of less than two years ago). I'd go with Paul Bowden's rigs myself, half the price and made by a holster maker instead of a costume maker.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/costume...g-set/#reviews

You might also like the double shoulder holsters seen used by George Peppard in the movie "A rough night in Jericho" as well as the double Webley shoulder holsters used in the t.v. series "The Lost World". Below is a link to a German language version clip of the Lost world t.v. series showing the German version of Lord John Roxton wearing a double shoulder holster rig. I think it was the same rig that the English language version used for Roxton's twin nickel plated, ivory grips .455 Webleys. You can also see the same twin Webley revolver shoulder rig in the English language versions if you look up the old "The Lost World" t.v. series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPilG_hV00o&NR=1

Hope this helped you TCman.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; October 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM.