The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 22, 2013, 11:47 AM   #1
LewSchiller

The Dome

I've been watching The Dome.
It's a fascinating premise. An entire town - and then some since it seems to include farms outlying the town - is suddenly encapsulated in an impenetrable clear dome that they can't escape. Can't dig under it - can't get through it.

Of course there are lots of Plot Convenience Playhouse elements such as the Dome being permeable so the people don't run out of oxygen - there's an abundance of Propane available due to a plot point and so forth.

It's fun to watch and run imaginary survival scenarios. Some of the things the writers have these people doing are just laughable. Some people, though have some prepper instinct going for them.

I'm actually finding it more fun to imagine what will happen after The Dome goes away (Which won't be any time soon since the show has been renewed for another season).

I amuse myself imagining platoons of lawyers flooding in to the town ready to bring lawsuits against everybody and everything. There have been unlawful killings by civilians and police, breaking and entering,theft, looting, arson, kidnapping...to name a few. Then there'd be the accusations against the outside world of which we know nothing aside from the nuclear size bomb they set off to try and destroy the dome but which instead destroyed everything around it.

Thinking about it in terms of what you'd do and how you'd protect your family and property in the event of anything that cut you off from the usually available amenities of civilization makes it a very interesting show - unlike most.

Anybody else on the same path with this?
Old August 22, 2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Evan Thomas

We don't do SHTF threads here.