The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 31, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Gbro

Planning a Service Rifle Shoot

OK, I am planning on setting up for The American Legion MN District 8 a service rifle shoot. (To include DAV)
This would include rifles from the Spanish American 1892 -thru- 1957 Korea.
My post has a few Krags and M1's that are shootable (no blank adapters).
Planning on this being 50 and 100 yards and from a position of choice for the shooters over 50, and that will not be in stone.
My .30 US (30-40Krag) Loads will be reduced recoil for my Post rifles. and allow whatever others bring for their own.
Targets to be determined.
Barbeque will follow
Looking at 3 or 4th week in Aug, 2013

I have the blessings of our Post Commander who is also the District Commander and have made a few inquiry's with neighboring Posts.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done this kind of informal "FUN" shoot, and any Ideas you may have.
Thank
Greg
Old December 31, 2012, 03:33 AM   #2
Sport45

Sounds like fun.

I wish you the best!
Old December 31, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3
bedbugbilly

Sounds like a great event and a lot of fun.

Just make sure you're covered with liability insurance. The last thing you need is an injury and a lawsuit.

Good luck and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 31, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
kraigwy

Combine your shoot to add a CMP GSM Course A (30 shot) course of fire in addition to your "fun" shoot and you can get the CMP to sanction your shoot, which means it will be listed on the CMP website giving you more exposure.

There are a lot of CMP GSM shooters in MN, you could get a pretty good turnout.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 31, 2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Gbro

At the Local Gun Club we used to do the GSM shoot each spring and that would qualify our club to supplys of M1 Ball.
We havn't to my knowledge been able to get the ammo for years now and therefore we havn't been holding that match.
Now I know there are no good excuses for not shooting, but I have to admit I am not interested in shooting the M1. I do love the old bolts.
Re-Reading your post, I do like the Idea!