The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 19, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Domino

Are signatures required when receiving CR firearms?

I'm just wondering when you receive CR firearms in the mail does somebody need to be home to sign for them? Our neighborhood is fairly new and the mail is left in locked boxes in a central location of the neighborhood with larger boxes available if we get mail that doesn't fit, then we have a key left in our box to get into the larger box.

So people stealing mail isn't a big concern but I'm sure the company sending the firearm would want confirmation. I ask since I'm obviously at work during the day and never know if my wife will be home so if I know which day a firearm will be arriving I may need to take the day off.
Old January 19, 2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Onward Allusion

For this reason alone, I always verify that the C&R item will be sent with UPS/FedEx Signature Confirmation. If they don't then I don't buy. No ifs, ands, or buts... Over the holidays there were quite a few packages lifted from folks in the development.

For this reason alone, I've used my C&R less and less. I figure it's not worth the $25 savings in FFL fees.
Old January 19, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
rr2241tx

If the shipper sends the rifle USPS Insured, Signature Required, then yes. Normally I get a yellow slip in my mailbox and exchange that at the post office the next day for my rifle. The UPS man is about equally likely to lean the box against the front door or hide it behind the flower box instead of waiting to see if anyone is home. I prefer that sellers ship to my business address so the packages can be received in an orderly fashion but an amazing number of people would rather have a teenage daughter working in a whorehouse than ship to an address other than the license address. Obviously, reading and understanding are separate skills.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:28 AM   #4
the only sarge

UPS and FedEx both just leave it leaned up at the door. Nobody home.
Without exception.
Old January 20, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Cheapshooter

YES!
From UPS website:
Quote:
Quote:
About Documentation and Labeling
The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

And from FedEx:
Quote:
If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.
http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guid...und/index.html
Where it is in the law, I think that some drivers ignore the rule. I the many C&R firearms I have had shipped only one was left on the porch. Sometimes I had to go to the UPS main location to pick them up because they tried 3 times to deliver when someone was there to sign.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 20, 2012, 09:06 AM   #6
FrederickDav

All the C&R's that I've received have been "adult signature required". That goes for ammo too. Maybe some UPS/FEDEX requirement?
Old January 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #7
jsmaye

Signature required for delivery.

For me, in Texas, rifles and rifle ammo have been hit or miss depending on carrier. Handguns (which require overnight delivery) and handgun ammo have always required a signature.