The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 28, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1
grubbylabs

Problems on the range today

I have a CVA .54 trade rifle. I am loading 95 grains of 3F and I still have to hold about 5-6 inches high at 50 yards. I have the adjustment on the rear sight maxed out. Any help would be great.

Oh I am shooting a round ball and a pre lubed patch if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 28, 2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Pahoo

At face value, I do not see anything wrong with your shot-string. Perhaps you could try some 2F and see if that makes a difference. I know a lot of guys that shoot 3F in their 54's with good performance. Are you shooting BP or Pyrodex? Older Pyrodex and other subs, lose power, with time. Black powder stays good longer. If that is what your rifle wants to shoot then that's might just be it. Need more info but try some fresh powder.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 28, 2010, 04:03 PM   #3
grubbylabs

It is a new canister of Black powder not a substitute. I have tried every thing from 40 grains to 110 grains and they all group really well, they just hit really low.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 28, 2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Put a shorter front sight on it.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 28, 2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Pahoo

I try to pay attention to what the gun is telling me and in this case it's saying that there is something wrong with the sights. Heck, you are getting good groups !!!

Fingers may be on to something. To be where you want to be, your rear sight should be Lowered or your front sight should be raised. Right ???

Be Safe !!!
Old September 28, 2010, 06:24 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I think these fellas are on the right track when it comes to adjusting your sights. Look at your other variables as well though. This may sound strange, but what are you using for a ball size and patch thickness? Do you have to use a short starter to get them in the barrel? As an experiement, try using a little bit thicker patch. I had a similar problem one time and for some reason, a thicker patch helped - go figure! It's worth a try. But as one of the fellas said, your groups are good so it could be just your sights need more adjustment as noted. Good luck and keep us posted on what you come up with. Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 28, 2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

When adjusting sights, rear sight goes same way you want the ball/bullet to go. Front sight goes opposite direction. Ergo, to raise the point of impact, rear sight needs to be raised, and/or front sight needs to be lowered.

Try 60 grains of ffg, .530 rb and .010 prelubed patch & see what happens.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 28, 2010, 10:26 PM   #8
grubbylabs

I am pretty sure it is a sight issue. I changed sites after the first range trip. In order to get the sites to mount well I had to Farmer them and now I am two feet high at 50 yards. So I guess it is off to the gun shop in the am to see what I kind find for a quality set of sited for this thing. I just can't believe that the factory sites are so crappy.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 29, 2010, 07:03 AM   #9
mykeal

There's nothing wrong with the factory sights. Black powder guns are intentionally not 'sighted in' with factory sights because the end user will be using different loads. It's expected the user will adjust the sights, including filing down the front sight if necessary for the loads he will be using. If you're expecting to just drop in some aftermarket sight that will be perfect you're going to be disappointed.
Old October 5, 2010, 09:14 PM   #10
grubbylabs

I just got it back this morning I had one of the gun shops increase the size of the dove tails so they could take some different sites. They put a ghost ring and a fiber optic site on so I will be off to the range tomorrow afternoon.

(Capt Charlie)