The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Olibobwa

Bought a Glock 29 for bear/hog/tweakers Ammunition question

Ordered a Glock 29 last thursday and it's supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon. I bought it for two reasons. It's going to be my trail gun and truck gun. The only things to worry about around here in the woods are black bear, hogs, and tweakers. So I'm looking for some decent ammunition for animal defense. The G29 is chambered in 10mm and here is Doubletaps 10mm page:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...hp?cPath=21_25

I was considering the 230 grain, but have read that they keyhole in Glock. Opinions??
Old June 8, 2010, 04:44 PM   #2
markj

tweaker?
Old June 8, 2010, 04:48 PM   #3
banditt007

Methamphedamine users
Old June 8, 2010, 08:11 PM   #4
govmule84

...with that reference, a quarter says bandit is from Missouri.
Old June 8, 2010, 08:20 PM   #5
paknheat

I have a Glock 29 as my EDC . RIght now the best load i have found for it is my own. I use the 155 gn Hornady XTP. I have'nt whacked any tweakers with it.....yet. It is my constant companion when i am in the swamp. I have taken a few hogs with it though. I'm the good lookin' guy holding the Glock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg got em covered.JPG (115.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg headache hog.JPG (91.6 KB, 98 views)
Old June 8, 2010, 08:42 PM   #6
cje1980

Their 200 gr FMJ looks promising for that use. That should penetrate just about anything that you would need it to. They also have a nice 180 gr controlled expansion JHP that should do the trick as well.
Old June 8, 2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Nomadicone

I tested a number of loads in my Mod 29 and chronograghed many, including some of my own loads. For me the 175 gr Win. Silver Tips work. A lot of factory loads are not much hotter than a 40 S&W.
Old June 9, 2010, 12:04 PM   #8
GeauxTide

44 Mag Silvertips come in 210gr. 41 Mag Silvertips are 175gr. They both come in about 1200fps in 4". How can a Phaughty top that?
Old June 9, 2010, 06:55 PM   #9
banditt007

govmule84, I'm from LI New York of all places, just got my education watchings COPS haha
Old June 9, 2010, 11:01 PM   #10
briandg

Quote:
...with that reference, a quarter says bandit is from Missouri.
I'm from missouri. About 8 years ago on the UCR, the FBI listed the county south of mine as being the worst county, in the worst state, for meth. I can't remember if it was arrests, production, sales, seizures, whatever, but I guarantee you, parts of Missouri are more familiar with meth than they are with toothbrushes.
Old June 9, 2010, 11:08 PM   #11
jgcoastie

G20SF for me.

I use DoubleTap 165gr Speer GDHP for social carry.

DoubleTap200gr WFNGC Beartooth for woods carry.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 10, 2010, 01:40 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

If you want Double Tap, the 230gr Equalizer looks interesting.
Old June 10, 2010, 01:46 AM   #13
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
If you want Double Tap, the 230gr Equalizer looks interesting.
Yeah, except for the part where you'd have to explain your choice of ammunition to the District Attorney in front of 12 people sitting in uncomfortable chairs.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 10, 2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Olibobwa

Well Alright Ya'll it's here!! There was a misunderstanding between gun store and dealer and they accidentally sent a G20sf instead of subcompact g29. Took a few extra days to get it, but it's here! And I got a free set of night sights too boot!! Lemme see if i can post a pic

0610101522a.jpg

Went and picked the gun up then stopped at another store to buy some rounds. Picked up 4 boxes of 175gr Silvertip Winchester Super X (all they had) and bought a couple of the mag extentions that look like boots. Then off to the range. Got there and low and behold i thought i was going to have to use it before i even had a chance to practice with it. There was a truck and a car both with out of town plates parked right where the dirt trail enters the range. Our public range is basically a 200yd strip in the middle of the woods. Anyway they took off without even speaking and i proceeded to shoot up a piece of plywood that someone had spray painted a snow man on

The gun is beyond accurate. Point of aim at 7yds. I only shot one box due to not being able to find the brass in the tall grass (next purchase is reloading equip!) But I am VERY impressed! This is an Excellent little pistol!!
Old June 10, 2010, 04:46 PM   #15
Olibobwa

@paknheat

It's a monster dude. Those 175 winchesters feel WAY different than those little 38's I've been carrying. And they're not even hot. I have to agree, that 155 hornady killed the stuffing out of that hog!

@cje1980

Yeah dude, that's the one I was looking at. I read a review that someone had problems with the 230 hardcast keyholing. With that in mind, I'm thinking the 200 is the way to go... for the woods. Still contemplating a nonwoods PD round.

@GeauxTide

I was of the same thinking a while back. Pretty much had my mind made up on a Alaskan 454. considering a 10mm will handle the biggest predators in Ga (black bear) and the fact that it will double as a personal protection in situations where might need more than 6 rounds. 10+1 rounds of 'enough' vs 6 rounds of 'OMG U Blew the damn bear in half' I'm diggin' the "Phaughty".

@banditt007

For some reason i thought he was talking about me calling them tweakers. I was prepared to offer him 2 to 1 i'm from Ga

@jgcoastie

Yeah dude, that's what I was thinking myself. It takes a bad bad man to carry just a pistol on That island!

@FrankenMauser

I know man. I was all gung ho for the Equalizer's but typed them into google and read a interview by none other than youtube sensation 'hickock45' stating he's had problems with them keyholing. Hang on and i'll see if i can find it again... Yeah here it is:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1188922

Actually, just went over to Double Tap and had the equalizers and the hardcast mixed up. The hardcast are what were tumbling. Hmmm...well alright +1 for the EQ's

@jgcoastie

I'd think they would be more sympathetic to an animal defense round as opposed to one strictly designed for anti personal. It's like an AR vs a 45-70. Which one looks more lethal?
Old June 10, 2010, 04:47 PM   #16
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olibobwa
There was a misunderstanding between gun store and dealer and they accidentally sent a G20sf instead of subcompact g29.

I'm pretty sure that's a G29SF, not a G20SF. The G20SF is much, much bigger. Take alook at the number of finger grooves on your gun vs the G20SF pictured below...

Might want to double check the number on the slide again...
Old June 10, 2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Olibobwa

@jgcoastie

Right, it's a 29. I ordered a 29 which was supposed to be here last tuesday, but they accidentally sent a 20sf. That's why it took till today to get here. I think they confused 'subcompact 10mm' with 'slim frame 10mm'. It's cool though, they threw in a free set of night sights to make it right
Old June 11, 2010, 12:44 AM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Yeah, except for the part where you'd have to explain your choice of ammunition to the District Attorney in front of 12 people sitting in uncomfortable chairs.
Ok, go ahead and explain why you chose hollow point ammunition. You know that's cop-killer stuff, right?

The primary reason for this pistol is Bear and Hog defense. Choosing a load that will give confidence is the logical route.

Would you rather be alive, and explaining why a tweaker had a roundball and a Hollow Point in him; or dead, injured, or in a coma, with the district attorney unaware of the ammunition selection dilema?

It doesn't matter what you choose. There is always the possibility of it being thrown back in your face. "Why did you use FMJ ammunition? You can injure civilians." "Why did you use HP ammunition? Were you HOPING to kill some one?" "Why did you choose a lead bullet? Do you think you're some kind of vigilante cowboy?"
Make your choice. It's better to be alive and have to explain it, than be found dead in a ditch.
Old June 11, 2010, 08:53 AM   #19
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Stay off that "type of ammo, in court" thing. It's more of an Internet thing than real. At least in rural areas, anyway. He's not in an anti-gun city. OT, regardless.
Old June 11, 2010, 03:34 PM   #20
Olibobwa

@Art Eatman

Yes sir, i live in small town Ga. Not much anti-gun propoganda round here
Old June 11, 2010, 04:04 PM   #21
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
The primary reason for this pistol is Bear and Hog defense. Choosing a load that will give confidence is the logical route.
Bear & Hog defense means a need for maximum penetration, the equalizer doesn't accomplish this very well. The 200gr WFNGC Beartooth was specifically designed for such applications and would be a better choice.

As for the other points you made; check your PM inbox.
Old June 11, 2010, 06:39 PM   #22
FrontSight

Hey banditt, what part of LI? I'm in the bronx, hunt on LI a lot with a guide, especially for waterfowl...
Old June 11, 2010, 07:11 PM   #23
banditt007

suffolk county, near nassau boarder up north.