The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1
Tex S

I absolutely hate...

Seller and Bellot brass. Half of the time the primer pockets are way too tight, the case walls vary in thickness, and it is just overall a crappy product. When I load this stuff on my LCTP, the powder measure will not throw consistent charges due to all the jerking and twisting of the press when trying to seat a friggin primer.

I have known for awhile that this brass is trash, but I figured I would load up a few hundred to take to the ranch with me and never bring back.

So much for that. I'm done with it. :barf:

I have several hundred pieces of this crap (in 45 auto), and I am willing to trade for it or give it to someone if they pay shipping. I will count it if anyone is interested.

If you can make this stuff work... more power to ya.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Doby45

This might be great for someone using a single stage load process. Looking at the bright side.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:19 AM   #3
CowTowner

I have had some success reloading S&B brass.
That being said, if I see it in the mix before it gets into the tubes on my Loadmaster, I toss it.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 17, 2009, 08:50 AM   #4
spleify

I've loaded it up a few times and havnt really seen or had any issues. Hey if you are giving that stuff away I would be glad to take it off your hands for you.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:30 AM   #5
margiesex

On the outside....

Hey, sorry for your problems with S & B. Actually, I sort of like it.

I have had really good lock with 9mm - it has a sort of beveled rim that makes it slide into the shell holder of the Pro 2000 really sweet.

I cannot say that I have had a lot of .45 in S & B, however. So, there may be an issue there. Also, the 9mm I have, shot and reloaded a few times already, is older - probably late '07 or '08 stuff.

I've also never had a primer issue, I'm using CCI's....are you using a different one?

Also, is it possible you picked up some NT brass? Seems everyone is loading this stuff and it gets mixed in with other regular brass and frankly - it is NOT the same.

I've run into it with Win., Fed, SB.....and in both .40 and .45 - it is a pain in the neck.

There is a tread where I talked about it - I think it was yesterday - the fellow couldn't get the primers to seat and it did not looked crimped....well, I've had that and I'm convinced it's the NT brass that's at fault.

God bless and good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both and soon!
Old September 17, 2009, 09:58 AM   #6
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
S&B brass

one of the calabers I load is 22 hornet. I had a set of lee dies I picked up for $1.00 the S&B flash hole was way too small. It ruend a one piece decapping rod in the Lee die. all the winchester and remington is great.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7
dahermit

My Browning High Power 9MM seems to like S&B better than Win, Rem, Fed brass. I have found an accurate load with S&B while the others were just so-so. Also, I have no problem with it in my Dillion 550B, no tight primer pockets or other hang-ups.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:12 PM   #8
Spammy_H

I'll Take it

Tex,

Please PM me the email address & amount to paypal you. I'll take them off your hands if you still have them.

Thanks.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:00 PM   #9
bkhann

All S&B and millitary brass go through a primer reaming process on the first re-load. Never a problem after that!
Old September 17, 2009, 02:04 PM   #10
zxcvbob

I bought a Dillon Super Swage and I really like S&B brass now after I've swaged the pockets. (I never could get them opened up enough with a reamer)
Old September 17, 2009, 04:48 PM   #11
alfack

I've noticed that they put some red colored crap (sealant?) on the primers. Sometimes, after decap, I notice there is still some red stuff around the rim of the primer pocket. This makes them tight for me sometimes.

Also, who makes the C C P .45 brass that uses the small primers? I was loading some mixed brass the other day and was wondering why my primer was being flattened against the case.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; September 17, 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: crude statement
Old September 17, 2009, 06:14 PM   #12
BigJimP

I agree S&B brass is junk / along with AMERC in .45 acp .... since I shoot at an indoor range and sweep up range brass ......I seem to get more than my share of it ( its cheap ammo, so they sell it at the range ..)....

I just toss it all out - after I clean - when I segregate and inspect it.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:42 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm in the same boat as you, Tex S. A few years ago, I liked reloading S&B's rifle brass. I've been finding the same problems as you have and I just toss it out along with Amerc. It isn't worth keeping around...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 17, 2009, 08:44 PM   #14
ZeSpectre

I've found that their .40 S&W brass seems fine (tight primer pockets) but I agree that their .45 ACP brass just isn't worth my effort.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:17 PM   #15
EP1990

sell for scrap?
Old September 17, 2009, 11:29 PM   #16
buffalo

I just loaded 600rds of S&B .45acp brass last weekend,the pockets were a tad tighter than the other commercial brass i have but it wasn't nothing major. Aint my first choice but i'd use it again.
Old September 18, 2009, 07:00 PM   #17
medalguy

I agree S&B is junk, I pitch mine too. Not to hijack this thread, but I have a problem with Blazer 9 x 19 brass I'd like to offer. I reload on a Dillon 550 and I have problems probably 5 out of 100 cases where the primer simply does not get pushed out of the case so I can seat a new primer. I have to cycle the ram 2 or 3 times to get the primer to drop. This seems to happen almost exclusively with Blazer brass, once in a while with Win brass. Anyone else have this problem, or any possible solutions?
Old September 18, 2009, 10:23 PM   #18
Dr. Strangelove

I picked up quite a few 9mm as range freebies, just couldn't get primers to seat in them. I'm glad to see this thread, I'll junk 'em.
Old September 18, 2009, 10:41 PM   #19
IMtheNRA

3 S&B cases found their way into my mixed lot of .357 magnum brass that I loaded a few days ago. All three resulted in rounds where the bullet did not seat correctly and ended up significantly longer than the rest.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:46 PM   #20
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Every single piece of S&B .303 brass I have has blown in case head separation by the 2nd reloading. Every piece of PPU brass I have has lasted for at least 10 reloads. I just won't buy any S&B anymore. This is not the first thread I have read complaining about it. I never see threads regularly complaining about other brass.
Old September 22, 2009, 05:28 PM   #21
Tex32cal

Me also no likie S&B. I have not had good luck with them, any caliber.

I may try reaming the primer hole on a few just for grins before I completely give up on them, but I don't feel confinent.

Michael