The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2008, 11:54 PM   #1
TexasSeaRay

The ultimate cast bullet in the USA?

Couple of weeks ago, there was a discussion about the difference between cheaply cast bullets and quality-cast bullets. Mike, at Mastercastbullets.com, stepped forward, called a spade a spade, and in turn, upset some folks because he wasn't kind and gentle enough.

However, Mike put his money where his mouth is and offered a box of free bullets to one of the reloaders in the discussion. I joked about "make ME the same offer" and Mike did.

I insisted on paying Mike for his bullets and he insisted on refunding me part of it. Neither was going to budge. I don't know what's harder--his stubborness or his bullets.

I bought a thousand 44 240 SWC. A few days later, I asked if I could get some sample 45's in 185 and 200 (the calibers and sizes being discussed in the Stonewall thread). Mike sends some out. I spend yesterday loading, and today go to the range.

Holy cow.

Here are the results and particulars. I shoot handheld, slowfire, at 50' and at a white 3"x5" notecard.

Here are the 45 200 gr SWCs. These were fired out of a box-stock Series 70 Gold Cup.

Here are the 44 240 SWC. These were fired out of a stock Model 29.

Folks, these are damn good bullets.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 6, 2008, 12:17 AM   #2
tomh1426

Mike is a great guy and he really does have a really good product.
I got 1000 255 grain RNFP .45's not long ago and they are very consistent and accurate and they dont seem to lead at all.
Thats some nice shootin BTW
Old February 6, 2008, 07:00 AM   #3
ShootingNut

Jeff

Great groups at 50', even with Mike's bullets I can't do that.
The old peeper's give me almost a 20/20 target, but the darn gun sights are blurry.
Old February 6, 2008, 07:31 AM   #4
45Marlin carbine

evidently a great product and some good shooting also.
Old February 6, 2008, 09:00 AM   #5
.45 Vet

Mike's shop is just down the road. Nice guy and friendly Beagles. But if you don't stop tooting his horn I'm gonna have to start waiting for my bullets....
http://mastercast.net/

Last edited by .45 Vet; February 6, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old February 6, 2008, 10:00 AM   #6
ShootingNut

Vet

Beagles, O.K. now I know why I always find dog hairs stuck in my bullet lube!
And Western Penn is "just down the road" from Carbondale, Ill?
Seriously though, I agree with your post and have wondered if ol' Mikey can keep up and melt the lead fast enough!
SN
Old February 6, 2008, 11:04 AM   #7
The Lovemaster

As always, TSR, what's more impressive than the bullets is your shooting. I stand in awe. My groups at 15yds look nothing like yours.

Very nice.
Old February 6, 2008, 01:02 PM   #8
.45 Vet

ShootingNut

Might be two Mastercasts, might be two Mikes. This is where I've been getting good hard cast bullets... In Enon Valley, Penn.

http://mastercast.net/
Old February 6, 2008, 01:28 PM   #9
zxcvbob

There are two mastercast bullets, and unfortunately both of them are run by guys named Mike. Makes it very confusing. I'm not even sure which one posts here occasionally.

I've bought bullets from mastercastbullets.com (in Illinois) and been very happy with the quality and the price, and that Mike is great to work with. Now I mostly shoot my own cast bullets, but if I need something I don't have a mold for, I'll order again.

Mastercast.net (in Pennsylvania) may be just as good, or better, or worse, I don't know.

[Hey, how's I get to be "senior", I'm not that old!]
Old February 6, 2008, 01:37 PM   #10
ShootingNut

bob

The one that has posted, is the Mike at Mastercastbullets.com which is loacated in Carbondale, Ill.
Old February 6, 2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Sevens

It's all starting to make sense. Great bullets at terrific prices come out of Illinois as most all the politicians there are trying desperately to rid their home state of guns and shooting paraphernalia!

You know what's killing me-- all these discussions about Mastercast bullets and I just dropped like $200 on cast in 5 calibers on Thanksgiving weekend. Right now, I have a nice stock of cast bullets. Sure, I could always use more, but I can't justify the expenditure at the moment.

I'll likely be making an order around tax refund time.
Old February 6, 2008, 06:34 PM   #12
ShootingNut

Sevens

One really nice thing that Mike @ Mastercast has setup, is anyone can automatically instruct the IRS to send their tax refunds direct to him, for any future lead orders.
SN
Old February 7, 2008, 12:45 AM   #13
TexasSeaRay

The Mastercastbullets (www.mastercastbullets.com) I'm shooting come from Carbondale, IL.

Mike is a helluva good guy. Wouldn't surprise me at all, either, if he didn't have some ol' cur dog beagles or the such running around his place.

And Sevens? Now that you got all those bullets, plus all that cold yankee weather and you got them both at the same time . . . time to hole up in your reloading cave and start cranking 'em out.

Right after you get the last of them loaded, place an order with Mike, tell him to take his time, then go out and shoot up all that stuff you just finished loading.

It's kinda how I tell my wife: "Well, I need to get more bullets."

Then, "Now that they're here, I need to load 'em up."

And finally, "Now that they're loaded, we need to go shoot 'em up."

On the way home after two or three trips to the range, I turn and look at her and say, "Well, I need to get more bullets. . ."

If I could only get her to learn how to clean the guns after she shoots them . . .

Jeff

Old June 19, 2008, 09:08 PM   #14
Misanthrope

My experience with Mike at Mastercast Illinois not so good

I would never do business with Mike at Mastercast in Illinois again. I ordered and he wrote that the bullets would be shipped at the beginning of the next week. 16 days later, I wrote and asked if they had been shipped. No response.

When I wrote and told him to cancel the order, here is what he wrote: “My goodness, your must be someone special or are very elite person. If I had just known that, I would not have taken your order for the bullets...you neglected to tell me that you were so elitist, special, etc..I did not confirm shipping because I have not sent the bullets...they were going to ship tomorrow, but after this message, they will not ship at all. I do not like the tone of the message. You can't wait for two weeks for bullets? Jesus, man, try ordering before you run out...do not wait to the last minute and expect me to fill your order....ain't gonna happen. Your old supplier took less than a week? Why are you ordering from me then? By all means order from the old supplier. Refund, shortly, when I have time. Absent that, you can kiss my ass. Try treating people the way you would want to be treated, and we won't have this problem.”

I waited four days and he did not refund my money. I told him I would file a dispute. I waited four days and then I filed a dispute and I told Paypal that I had cancelled the order. Here is what he wrote to me “I was ready to send you a refund today(When time permitted, as I told you in the last e-mail) and then I noticed a little complaint that you lodged with PayPal. Now I have to wait and see what you said, what will happen, and if they "freeze" my account as a direct result of what you may have told them. I have transferred all money from my PayPal account to my bank account, and all that remains is YOUR refund. If they "FREEZE" that account, the only funds remaining are your refund. I will not waste my time attempting to lift the "FREEZE" if it happens as a direct result of your words or actions. It is no longer my money...it is yours IF you want it. You created this problem.....deal with it or don't....I will not...I really do not give a "Rats Fanny" either way. I also noted that you did not mention that you cancelled the order when you notified PayPal with your B.S. complaint....No mention that you cancelled the order...an omission on your part perhaps? A complaint without any justification, I might add. A "tad' disingeous"...near a "Lie" don't you think? I guess it is all in the way YOU spin it Slick.”

He was wrong. I did tell Paypal I had cancelled the order. Paypal contacted him and then he only refunded $57. of the $73, even though he never shipped anything. Paypal made him refund all the money after I escalated it
to a claim.

The man never sent the bullets when he said he would, and then was abusive when I cancelled the order two weeks later. There are better bullet suppliers. I would never deal with him again.
Old June 19, 2008, 09:29 PM   #15
HOGGHEAD

Cast

Who casts the best bullets??? Why I do of course!!!

I have the best priced cast bullets. My friend gives me the WW from his tire shop, and I do not charge myself a dime to cast them. However since the bullets are obviously the best in the world, I am thinking about charging myself!!! Tom.
Old June 19, 2008, 09:43 PM   #16
zxcvbob

Some of Mike's posts have been a little... abrasive perhaps? But he puts his money where his mouth is, and I think maybe just doesn't suffer fools gladly. (and if what you posted is an accurate quote, and it probably is, it bears this out)

I have had a couple of dealings with mastercastbullets.com (great product, great prices, I haven't ordered more because I bought so many the last time and because I cast a lot of my bullets myself.) There was a delay once, and I wasn't happy about it, but such is the nature of the bullet industry these days. Just check around and see how many vendors are out of stock on most of their bullets.

I think you overplayed a weak hand here and bit yourself in the ass. Especially by contacting Paypal. Their mode of handling any dispute is to seize the funds so neither party has access to them and then to hinder the parties from working things out so they can keep the money longer. Don't ask me how I know this; let's just say I avoid using Paypal, and when it is unavoidable I alway fund the transaction with a credit card so the CC company can reverse the transaction if it goes bad. The buyer has no other protection with Paypal, regardless of what they tell you.

IMHO you don't have a lot of credibility when the only 3 post you have are to rag on Mastercast. You registered here just for that?

Last edited by zxcvbob; June 19, 2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old June 19, 2008, 10:30 PM   #17
Edward429451

TSR is that 200 SWC group that you fired with ammo crimped in a LFC die that you spoke of in another thread?
Old June 19, 2008, 10:55 PM   #18
FM12

Jeff: I'm going to email some accurate loads and some accuracy tips. Mayby you can get some good groups then!!
Old June 19, 2008, 11:43 PM   #19
Sidetracked

I'd like to see the other end of the conversation with Misanthrope. I bet it would be very enlightening.

Jeff, thanks for sharing.
Old June 20, 2008, 12:13 AM   #20
Bullet94

Sidetracked
Here you go.

Quote:
MASTERCAST.COM
Misanthrope is an attorney who is apparently used to getting what he wants RIGHT NOW. When that is not possible, he resorts to demands, intimidation, threats, totally invalid complaints, and generally becomes a giant pain in the go behind for those that is he unhappy with regarding problems that exist only in his own mind.

When Misanthrope placed his order, I gave him a projected delivery date. When I realized that I was not going to be able to deliver on that date, I sent him an e-mail, told him why, and gave him the option to cancel the order. I got no response to that e-mail. It was not returned as "unable to deliver" by my IP, so I have to assume that it made it to his e-mail box.

Some time later, I got a scathing e-mail from Misanthrope, he cancelled the order, and demanded an IMMEDIATE REFUND. I told Misanthrope that I would send his refund as soon as time permitted. Well folks, that was just not good enough for him. It was at that point that he began barking orders, making demands, and threats. He told me, among other things, that he was going to file a complaint with PayPal...he did so, and told them he did not receive his order. He made absolutely no mention of the fact that HE cancelled the order and that a refund was pending. That was taken care of, he has his refund, and he is now unhappy with that.(More on that shortly) He also threatened to ruin my business and reputation on every forum he could find. He is now in the process of attempting to do that. He apparently thinks the good people on this forum and others are stupid and quite gullible...I strongly disagree. I WILL LET MY REPUTATION SPEAK FOR ME. I suspect his latest strategy is to force me to waste so much time addressing his negative posts on the various forums, that I will not have time to run the business. I am going to disappoint him. My replies will be brief and then I will have nothing further to say on the issue.

The absolute nonsense that I have received and entertained from this fellow has been relentless up to this very day. He paid me exactly $73.66 for his original order of bullets. I had just finished packing his order, the shipping label was printed, taped to the box, and I incurred non-refundable shipping/packing costs by the time I received his e-mail cancelling the order. I sent him a refund minus those shipping/packing costs($15.00) for a total refund of $58.66. You would think a man with a law degree would be intelligent enough to understand the need for the $15.00 deduction from his refund....not this one! The latest e-mail I got from him had "Stealing $15.00" in the subject line, and the text was as follows:

"Why are you trying to keep $15.00 of my money?"(I guess the implication is that I will not be able to keep that $15.00, and will have to sustain a loss on packing/shipping charges. We will see what shakes out one that one!)

"Are you a thief too?"(In addition to everything else he has called me..cheat, liar, poor businessman, brain effected by lead fumes, etc..)

This from a man that charges a client for every second of his time as far as I know. I guess I should have charged him for all of the time I spent responding to his absolute nonsense and sent him a refund of exactly $00.00.

He made the charge that I told him to kiss my fanny and something about I no longer gave a rats fanny about something. That may well be the only things that he said that are true. We have had so many exchanges regarding his nonsense that I honestly can't recall doing that. However, it is entirely possible that I did. That sounds like what I would do when I finally got a belly full of his demands, threats, nonsense, attempts at intimidation, complaints to others that were totally without foundation, etc..

Misanthrope is apparently one those people that we all hear about, hope we never have to deal with, that you just can't make happy no matter what you do. Just for grins, look up Misanthrope in your handy dictionary....perhaps that explains it all.

Mike

The above Quote was taken from here -

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=278130

Old June 20, 2008, 12:55 AM   #21
TexasSeaRay

Hey Misanthrope--

Why don't you go ahead and let everyone here know that you're also a sleazebag trial lawyer who REPRESENTS DOMESTIC TERRORISTS PRO BONO.

If you're going to come on here for the SOLE PURPOSE of trying to discredit a proven, ethical man who produces a damn good product, don't you think it only fair that everyone find out a little more about YOU???

In fact, you're starting to look a helluva lot like a stalker--kinda like some of that ceptic sewage out in California you so gleefully support and defend in cases of domestic terrorism.

Why don't you take your opinions, your pro bono defense of your buddies and your views and shove 'em on up the line and leave us the hell alone?

And if this rhetoric and tone gets me suspended or banned or otherwise disciplined here, then fine. The day The Firing Line chooses to side with a self-admitted supporter of a group our sister agency defined year after year as a top-three threat in regards to domestic terrorism, then this obviously isn't the place for me.

Misnthrope has no other purpose here than to intentionally smear an otherwise respected supplier.

Jeff

Old June 20, 2008, 10:06 AM   #22
CrustyFN

TSR with a little practice you could be a hell of a shot. Damn I wish I could shoot that good from a rest.
Rusty
Old June 20, 2008, 11:12 AM   #23
WESHOOT2

my my my

Wasn't this a fun read....

Good to know I'm not the only abrasive antagonistic prick left in good ole' America.

(You get to decide who else LOL......)
Old June 20, 2008, 02:28 PM   #24
lll Otto lll

Did anyone catch this?

mis·an·thrope Pronunciation: \ˈmi-sən-ˌthrōp\
Function: noun
Etymology:Greek misanthrōpos hating humankind, from misein to hate + anthrōpos human being
Date: 1683
: a person who hates or distrusts humankind
Old June 20, 2008, 03:00 PM   #25
AKGunner

Mastercast said all that needed be said when he stated...

Quote:
Misanthrope is an attorney who is apparently used to getting what he wants RIGHT NOW.