The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2008, 05:08 AM   #1
Electronrider

Startup equipment list

Hey everyone, just about to get into reloading, have been doing a lot of reading and research, wanted some advice please.

I think I am going to go with the green kool-aide, based on what I have read, and what I can afford. With that in mind, could you all please take a look at this shopping list, and let me know if I am missing anything? This list assumes that I will be using brand new brass. ( I realize that there is a whole other list of goodies to get to recycle brass, such as a tumbler, etc.)

Edited to add: I am going to start with .223, and move on from there.

Thanks!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eshoppingca...eItemID=481398
Old January 19, 2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Red_Eagle

There's nothing on that list.
Old January 19, 2008, 07:10 AM   #3
Magnum Mike

If your going to start reloading .223 why do you only have a list for casting .45 bullets?
Old January 19, 2008, 09:58 AM   #4
hikingman

Obtain some components used and in very good condition, and did I mention used equipment when available? This stuff lasts for years and years....
Old January 19, 2008, 11:32 AM   #5
grymster2007

Quote:
There's nothing on that list.
Quote:
If your going to start reloading .223 why do you only have a list for casting .45 bullets?
That link simply takes you to the list referenced in a cookie of the computer you're using. I thought that might be the case when I first saw Electronrider's link and sure enough, when I go there, I see all the stuff I put in the cart last time, but haven't bought yet.

So; yes Electronrider, that's a good list for starting out.
Old January 19, 2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Dlr8

First and foremost on anyones list are at least 2 manuals, only after reading them, and understanding them should a person go any farther.. Handloading is not everyones bag of tea, you might find that out after reading one that you aren't as interested as you once were and save yourself sometime and cash.. After this you are now informed enough to decide exactly how and what you want to load .. That will determine the type of press you buy, if you need a powder thrower or just a scale. After that you need

Press
Scale (not a cheapo you do not want to skimp here)
Dies
Shellholders (if they don't come with the dies, most don't)
Calipers
Case trimmer
shell holders and pilots for case trimmer if not supplied
Chamfer and deburring tool
Case lube.. (one that works)
at least 2 trays to hold your cases while they are being prepared
A system for marking and keeping track of your loads (maybe the most Improtant)
A way to clean your cases, tumber & media preffered
bullets
Powder
Primers
A place to setup and store all the things you are going to buy

Dave
Old January 19, 2008, 07:50 PM   #7
38 Super Auto

I think single stage is a good way to start. I believe you'll obtain a good understanding of how to make quality ammo after you have loaded a coupla 1000 rounds. I recommend a turret press. I wish I had started with a turret press. It's a little more, but offers alot of flexibility.

If you decide to go progressive or otherwise upgrade, your original equipment, if not abused will only increase in value. Some guys keep a single stage operation around for lower volume or specialty loading, even with an upgrade to a progressive.