The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2008, 02:46 AM   #1
mosinfanatic

mosin reloading

hi guys i have a couple o mosin nagant 91/30s one of which is heavily modified (full barrel supressor and the such) i want to start reoading for this size (7.62 by 54r) as i already do for my other rifles, my question is will normal 308 tips work? i have already measured the bore size its just that the 54r rounds look longer. i would like to try hornady sst tips and i already have lapua cases and winchester primers. also would anyone have a good starting load for 150 or 165 grain tips in these as it would save me some time. cheers
Old January 8, 2008, 08:04 AM   #2
gandog56

They will work, but may have poor accuracy. You really need to slug the chamber and find out if .311" or .312" bullets would be a better fit.
Old January 19, 2008, 08:15 PM   #3
10 Spot Terminator

moison reloading

Definitely need to slug the bore . These rifles range from a very very rare .308 to as high as . 314 diameter . My pre war Tula arsenal 31has a .3905 bore which you can easily check by tapping an unsized lead .303 bullet into the end of your rifle with a soft wooden dowel and a hammer and by tapping it out slowly from the breech end with a long brass piece of roundstock found in most hardware stores. I was in a bit of a quandry myself about getting a good bullet fit but solved the problem by ordering a .311 and a custom .310 bullet sizer die from Lee reloading as are hard steel dies and 2 stage downsizing 150 gr speer .303 cal spitzers to .310 diameter. they fly beautifully !!!!!
Old January 19, 2008, 08:32 PM   #4
croc4

Ditto

what the others have said, I also reload for my mosins and they all range in the .311 area, there are still some good options to choose (not as many as in the 308 category though) from, mine prefer the 180's over the 150's