The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2007, 06:58 PM   #51
CrustyFN

I heard WWB 9mm went up to $21. I am still loading it for $7, that's a savings of $14 per 100. When I start shooting lead I will be able to load them for around $5 per 100. That alone makes reloading worth while to me. I am also loading 223 for $140 per 1,000. With those kind of savings it wouldn't take long to pay off a press.
Rusty
Old June 17, 2007, 07:29 PM   #52
Übermensch_

I have logged thousands of hours driving commercial vehicles and nothing horrible has happened to me yet. That means that if you spend as many hours on the road nothing will happen to you.
Old June 17, 2007, 08:28 PM   #53
Guy B. Meredith

Whatever.

All the above demonstrate that the dangers are minute enough to be of no interest. Sort of like threads with trolls.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old June 17, 2007, 10:54 PM   #54
Wildalaska

Dont ya hate it.

WildrausrausmachtschnellAlaska
Old June 18, 2007, 10:03 AM   #55
lockedcj7

I started reloading as a teenager because I wanted AA quality shells for competition. Our range sold AA shells for $5/box and I could re-load for around $2. Had it not been for reloading, I could have never afforded it.

With component prices like they are now, it's hard to beat the promo dove-load pricing but I can get close and have AA quality. If I load equal quality, I can save a little over even the promo pricing. I started reloading for rifle when I bought a 7mm-08. You couldn't get ballistic tips in a factory load back then. I can also use the components I want and seat the bullets to the correct depth for my rifle, not some generic average.

I've bought most of my reloading equipment in large lots (on E-bay or at estate sales and flea markets). I keep what I can use and sell off the rest. By doing it that way, most of my equipment has worked out to be free. Considering that I can always sell it and re-coup what little I have invested I'll probably come out ahead! Even if you pay full retail, you can sell out and still get back at least 50% of what you have in it.

You can buy very good factory loads these days, but as others have pointed out, if you shoot anything other than the most common calibers you can come out waaaay ahead and you can always save a little. I don't count my time because that's the time I would just be sitting in front of the TV anyway. It's not like I'm taking time off work to reload. I also don't consider the risk because life is inherently risky. There are lots of ways you can get hurt hunting, fishing, shooting, etc. You learn to minimize the risks so that you can enjoy life, not just stop living. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

P.S. Anything I say regarding risk may be taken with a grain of salt since I'm a helicopter pilot!
Old June 18, 2007, 10:32 AM   #56
PeteQuad

I started reloading because I had begun shooting so much that it was costing me a lot of money. Now I find that I like the reloading hobby as much if not more than the shooting itself. I have to go to the range today to get some of those pesky bullets out of my brass so I can reload them!
Old June 18, 2007, 06:28 PM   #57
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I have logged thousands of hours driving commercial vehicles and nothing horrible has happened to me yet. That means that if you spend as many hours on the road nothing will happen to you.
"They" say that most accidents happen to you within a 10 mile radius of your home...guess it's time to move....

Point is? No matter what reasonable hobby you do, some type of danger is involved. We're all going to go one day or another and I think there are other WAY more dangerous things that people do in their lives than reloading safely. Example? DRIVING Show me the stats on deaths related to reloading in 1 year and I'll guarantee I'll show you 100 deaths due to car accidents to counter...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 20, 2008, 01:19 PM   #58
10 Spot Terminator

At what point does reloading become cost efficient ?

As near as I can figure reloading only becomes cost efficient if you are my sole heir and inherit all of my stuff after I go to the Happy Hunting Grounds and maybe not even then , , ,
Old January 20, 2008, 02:42 PM   #59
slotracer577

Really quickly for 50 bmg, press was $170 with dies, factory Amax rounds are $50/box of 10. $.44 for brass, assuming bougth new and get 3 loads, $.64 for powder new H50BMG, $.17 for pulldown 869, $.27 primer, $1.90 Amax bullet.
So I can load for $3.25 with new powder and $2.78 with pull down. So I save about $2/round if you can even find factory new. So 85 rounds pays for the press and dies.

Now I have 9mm as well, but it isnt nearly as clear cut, $16/100 at walmart, when new brass is $10/100, I would rather buy it and save my time.

John
Old January 20, 2008, 06:55 PM   #60
CrustyFN

Quote:
Now I have 9mm as well, but it isnt nearly as clear cut, $16/100 at walmart, when new brass is $10/100, I would rather buy it and save my time.
Why buy 9mm brass new. It is too easy to pick up off the ground at the range. I have around 11 to 12 thousand 9mm cases and the first 200 were new WWB ammo I bought. I'm reloading 9mm for around $8 per 100. If you don't shoot a lot of it then it might not be worth while. For me it's my competition gun so I go through a lot of 9mm and it pays me to reload 9mm.
Rusty