The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 29, 2002, 02:31 AM   #1
Justin

Do I want a Milt Sparks belt?

Ok, I've finally come to the conclusion that my belt is just fine, if all it's doing is holding up my pants and my wallet.
Add anything else to that, and the 1-inch thick belt gets a tad bit uncomfy.
So I've been looking around at other belts, and I took a gander at the Milt Sparks website.
Their prices seem decent, and I think they have what I want.
Just one problem.
I have no idea what options and stuff that I want.
So far, all I know about the belt that I want is that it should be 1 and 1/2 inches thick, and black (makes it easier for me to be all tactical. ;-))
What else do I need to know about belts before I order one?
Would a belt thickness of 1 and 3/4 inches be better?
Am I over-analyzing?
Should I just shut up and order it?
How long of a wait am I looking at?

Thanks
Old March 29, 2002, 04:42 AM   #2
swampgator

Belt size should be determined primarily by (at least for me) three things:
1) Belt Loop size on pants.
2) Size/Weight of gun carried.
3) Size of blet slot on holster

For loop size consider that Lee jeans can accomdate 1 3/4", as do various makes of khaki's. If your pants can fit a belt that large, then good, it makes supporting the weight of the gun easier. I don't wear khakis very often, but when I do break down and buy them (every few years) I try to find one that will accomodate an 1 3/4" belt.

Another thing to consider is the size of the belt slot of the holster. If you have a $150 Mitch Rosen holster already for 1 1/2" it makes little since to buy a 1 3/4" belt. But if you have slots cut for the larger size buy a belt that fits it. Too small a belt and the holster will flop around.

As far as Milt Sparks is concerned, Tony and the guys are all class acts! A top company and good people. I've never heard of anyone having a problem that they weren't willing to fix no questions asked. Wait time should be minimal but call and verify.
Old March 31, 2002, 01:05 AM   #3
youngun

I picked up a $15 2" job at the discount store, all leather, last year's model of some youbng fasion name, DKNY it was.
Figured I'd use it till I could afford a "real" one (after hearing all about how silly it was to carry an expensive gun on a chep belt.)

But now, 6 months later, the damn thing is holding my pants up, believe it or not!

Definitely get a wider belt.
The width helps disperse the weight.
I'm just not sure what a double-thick $70 belt could do for me.
If this one gets too broken in, I'll fork over another $15.
Old April 1, 2002, 09:55 PM   #4
AlanD

I own several Milt Sparks holsters and belts, and as has already been said, they are good guys. Pick up the phone and ask their advice regarding what product best fits your needs.

My 1 1/4 inch Milt Sparks belt is excellent, however, their 1 1/2 is not as stiff as I would like. I prefer a 1 1/2 Wilderness Instructors nylon belt when my pant loop size allows it http://www.thewilderness.com/Pages/belts.html