The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 15, 2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Gary L. Griffiths

Looking 4 gunsmith to make some springs.

I bought a BEAUTIFUL Charles Daly O/U skeet gun, made the mistake of taking it to the gunsmith at Gander Mountain in Iowa City to remove the ejector springs and install a mammoth ivory front bead. Got the gun back, and had difficulty with the safety lever. Finally got it off, and the gun doubled! (REALLY powdered the bird!) Took it back, and was informed the safety spring had broken. OVER A YEAR LATER went back, and they still hadn't gotten a spring, nor had they assembled the gun. Since I couldn't wait 3 days for them to fix it, accepted cased gun & bag o' parts. Had local gunsmith in AZ assemble it, at which time it was discovered that THREE springs were broken. Asked him to make replacements, and was told that they don't make replacement springs due to liability issues!

Does anyone know of a gunsmith, preferably in AZ, who knows how to make springs and is willing to do so? I naively thought making springs was a routine part of gunsmithing!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old May 15, 2017, 04:14 PM   #2
FITASC

Are you talking coil, flat, roller, something else?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 15, 2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Ricklin

No Charles Daly

Charles Daly is not a true firearms brand. They are an importer and sales organization.
They have a rather checkered past recent history wise. I received my O/U Charles Daly on the day they announced that they were bankrupt and thus the vaunted lifetime warranty was really only good for the lifetime of the company, not my lifetime, nor the lifetime of the shotgun.

Charles Daly of old was a known and respected name. They only imported top drawer stuff, excellent guns. That was more than 20 years ago.

My Charles Daly over under was actually made by Marochhi in Italy and was quite a good gun. That is not the case with most Charles Daly guns, it's more the exception that proves the rule. I am speaking of the current iteration of Charles Daly, they are focused on low cost guns today.

If you can figure out who actually made that O/U you can find the correct springs. I believe that Charles Daly imported Japan SKB guns 20 plus years ago.

At any rate you will need strong Google Fu. If your O/U is their Charles Daly Diamond series NRA it's really a Marochhi and there are a couple shops that import that brand.

It's worth looking for the OLD Charles Daly guns, some are real knockouts. The newer stuff is highly variable and best avoided.
Old May 15, 2017, 08:15 PM   #4
Gary L. Griffiths

As far as I know, my gun is Italian. I think the springs are the result of ham-fisted gunsmithing, but things break. Both the shops I took it to are merely waiting for a similar gun to be scrapped for parts. I would really like to shoot some skeet with it before I'm too old to swing on a bird!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old May 15, 2017, 08:48 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Do you have a picture and what is written on the barrels?
It could be a browning.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:22 PM   #6
Gary L. Griffiths

Don't think it's a Browning. Here's what it looks like, and the barrels.

Would really like to get it back into action!
Old May 16, 2017, 12:24 AM   #7
Jim Watson

"Made in Italy" is a clue.

As said, what type springs are broken?
Leaf, coil, torsion, or odd shape?
Can you picture the pieces?
Old May 16, 2017, 01:27 AM   #8
Bill DeShivs

If the springs are leaf springs, I can make them if you have all the pieces of the broken springs.
Old May 16, 2017, 06:23 AM   #9
FITASC

Quote:
As far as I know, my gun is Italian.
The proof marks on the underside of the barrels and the receiver flat might give you a better idea of which company made the gun
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 16, 2017, 08:14 AM   #10
g.willikers

If age is a problem, (yours not the guns), just put that one aside and get something that works so you can get back to shooting clay birds.
That is the whole idea, rather than just getting this gun working again, isn't it?
You know, get on with life before it runs out.
Codgetating over this one isn't the solution.
As the saying goes, "Times a Wasting!"
Old May 16, 2017, 09:06 AM   #11
Ricklin

Charles Daly of old

Your shotgun is from the old Charles Daly company.

You should be able to find the original Mfg. I would first do the research to find out who made it.

You just might get lucky and find the parts, rather than making new springs. Often the Charles Daly guns were just cosmetically different, and parts from the original Mfg. are available.

Kinda like Sears in reverse. Higher end look and feel, yet same basic model as that Mfg.'s other guns.

A quick Google search reveals Sabbati as the manufacturer. They are very much in business. Hope the info helps.

Last edited by Ricklin; May 16, 2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Addl. info
Old May 16, 2017, 09:31 AM   #12
Wyosmith

all Brownells and Numrich and read them the markings you have on the gun, or take good pictures and mail them in.
Between Brownells and Numrich you probably will learn the actual maker.

If you still have the old weak or broken springs, many good gunsmiths can make them from bar stock for you, but such hand work is costly as it takes a noteworthy amount of time, detailed filing and polishing. Then thye must be hardened and tempered (drawn)
So you can get the gun back up to snuff by having hand made springs done for it, but if you can simply buy replacements its going to be much faster and easier.

It's possible the replacements will be no better than what you have, so they may not last either, but if that's true at least they buy you some time until you can get good hand made springs made.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:55 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

You have any idea how expensive it would be to have one spring made? Gunparts lists a bunch of Charles Daly Superiors, but have mostly stocks only.
Samco Global Arms, Inc., located in Miami, Florida, owns the Charles Daly brand name now. They're also currently in bankruptcy and gone.
Try Wolf Springs. Nothing Daly mentioned on their site, but they might still be able to help. https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php
And '4' is not a word. snicker.
Old May 16, 2017, 01:17 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

My springs are $70 each, unless they are a complicated design.
Old May 16, 2017, 09:21 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you don't want Bill to make your springs for you, you can go to Friendship, IN where the NMLRA will be offering a class on spring making. One of my teachers will be teaching it.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:54 AM   #16
ShootistPRS

$70 dollars for a hand made spring is a steal!
I make my own springs and I would charge more than $100 each. Flat or coil springs they all take a lot of time and precision work. Cut to fit, arc to work, harden and then temper. I only stock a bit of wire and a small piece of 32 gauge flat stock that I used when I made my holsters and pressure regulator springs for transmissions. I have made my own trigger return springs and other small springs for revolvers when replacements weren't available. Nothing I want to do for a customer though.