The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #1
insman1132

Anyone familiar with Men's Blackhawk Lightweight Tactical Cargo Shorts

Looking for comfortable cargo shorts (live in FL) to wear when carrying a pocket gun. Someone recommended the Blackhawk brand. Also recommended their full length cargo pants. Anyone have any experience with this brand? And how well do they work with a pocket gun/holster?
Old June 15, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
SgtLumpy

I can't comment on the Blackhawk shorts. I don't know how "tactical" they are...

I buy my shorts at Goodwill. They're 3-4-5 bucks a pair. I have maybe 30 pair. If they get destroyed during tactical maneuvers (Hmmm), I've got plenty of BOS (back us shorts). They come in tactical black, a dozen styles of camo, coyote tan, desert tan, dark earth tan, faded tan, and beige.

Toughest part about those Goodwill shorts is getting the darn smell of Febreze out of them.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 15, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think the "grey man" looks > tactical look. I'd be like SgtLumpy and buy ordinary shorts at a used or sales clothes rack (yeah, I'm cheap too).
Old June 16, 2013, 11:12 AM   #4
wuluf

Walmart carries Wrangler cargo pants and shorts. Not nearly as cool, but cheaper...
Old June 16, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
SgtLumpy

BTW - If you want to patch a little hole in your pants pocket, perhaps worn there by your front sight or hammer, use a piece of iron on jeans patch material. It makes the fabric tougher than the original. Comes in all kinds of colors from black to camo to red and orange flames.

Use the same material for a little "hook guard" if you like, to line the edge of your pocket where you hook your folding knife.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 17, 2013, 03:06 PM   #6
rayban

The Goodwill I go to don't mark them according to size, so I take a string along that's cut to my size and just stretch it along the waist band.....I get funny looks but it's better than trying them on right there in the aisle.
Old June 17, 2013, 08:34 PM   #7
SgtLumpy

My Goodwill marks them for size and for the most part it's pretty accurate. But they've got try-on rooms so I can check, including how they might fit my pistol.

One interesting social observation is that a lot of the shorts traded in by younger guys were the "hang 'em low, see my underwear, extra baggy" style. So they end up fitting in a more sane, dated fashion, for older, big guys like yours truly. A lot of times they're too long. That seems to be the style. I sometimes have to hem them shorter.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 18, 2013, 07:10 PM   #8
2ndsojourn

I don't know about the Blackhawk brand, but most of these from Duluth have big deep roomy pockets. About big enough for a full sized 1911.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/...cessor=content
Old June 18, 2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Garycw

There's a bunch on this site if you can't find what you want. They start around $20

http://lapolicegear.ecomm-search.com...og=policestuff
Old June 23, 2013, 09:10 PM   #10
insman1132

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.
Old June 23, 2013, 09:36 PM   #11
Ajtozzi

I wear the 5.11 tactical shorts to work all the time. Very comfy and very durable.