The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 28, 2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Gbro

MN Wolf Hunt, Court throws out opposition petition

Looks good for continued Wolf season here in MN.
Of course the opposition is going to continue fighting any way they can.
At least this can only be done on MN soil!

Here is the link to the Channel 11 report,
Old May 28, 2013, 11:31 PM   #2
tahunua001

good news. in idaho they just shortened our wolf season by 2 months... now it's the same as our mountain lion season... only you can still get 10 wolf tags with a trappers license and still only one kitty cat.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Buzzcook

It was thrown out because the plaintiffs lacked standing, not on the merits of their complaint.

Quote:
The appeals judges decided that the Center for Biological Diversity and Howling for Wolves lacked sufficient legal standing to challenge the Department of Natural Resources rules.
That leaves it open for a group that does have standing.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/n...5-28-2013.html

Quote:
The lawsuit argued that the Department of Natural Resources failed to provide sufficient opportunity for public comment before allowing killing of wolves, which is opposed by a broad swath of the public; but the court decision held that the conservation groups lacked “standing” to sue because they could not demonstrate that the state agency’s actions had caused injury to their interests. The court concluded that the harm to wolves was caused instead by the legislature’s decision to authorize wolf hunting.
A similar though less detailed news release from the other plaintiff.
http://www.howlingforwolves.org/news...g-and-trapping

Looks like there us enough ambiguity to take the appeal to the next level.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Buzzcook

tahunua001: Do you have a link for the shorter season.

This seems to indicate the opposite.
http://m.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoor...seasons-rules/

Quote:
Major change for gray wolves:

Extend hunting season on private land in the Panhandle Zone to year-round.
Extend extend hunting season in the Middle Fork Zone and in that portion of Unit 16 in the Dworshak-Elk City Zone north of the Selway River to end June 30.
Extend hunting season in Beaverhead and Island Park zones two months to end March 31.
Increase harvest limit in the Salmon Zone to 45.
Expand trapping to portions of units 2 and 3.
Expand trapping to private lands in units 13, 18 and 22 from November 15 through March 15.
Expand trapping season to Island Park and Salmon zones with foothold traps only; except snares may be used on private lands and in that portion of Unit 28 within designated wilderness.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:05 PM   #5
tahunua001

my region which is the second largest if I recall but could be wrong went from june31st-march31st just shortened to august 31st-march31st, the same as our kitty cat seasons. I don't pay attention to the rest of the state but those are the changes in the hells canyon/palouse region or whatever they call it.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

We in this State of Minnesota are so lucky to have Dr. Maureen Hackett here. She has proven to be such an asset along with all her contributors who freely make donations to Dr. Hackett's organization {Howling for wolves.} No other person not even this State's Governor manages to offer so many public employee and others job security the way she and her cohorts have. The costs of running her Minnesota organizational office and the local and out of town legal talent and wolf experts she employs to run her tired old ideas tried in one Minnesota court system and on to another Higher court. When her organization looses its case. Or has it thrown out of court by our justices time after time must be staggering in cost. I like the idea of one persons ambition wanting to spur our local economy with so much money belonging to so many others. Oh she is truly a treasure to have here.

S/S
Old May 30, 2013, 06:50 AM   #7
BoogieMan

You can always hope that Dr. Maureen Hackett has the same relationship with her wolves as Timothy Treadwell had with his bears.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 30, 2013, 09:14 AM   #8
Gbro

Boogie's Sig line;
Quote:
Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it.
Or by those who fail to respect it. (The Ursus arctos horribilis is what comes to mind)
Timmy's foolish demise is held as Martyrdom in circle Buddy's little Girl lives.