The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 28, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1
captainrock39

sights off

I built a .54 muzzleloader I have to hold the rifle at 9 oclock 12 inches out to hit bulleye at 50yards what do I need to do to fix this. I used a shooting bench when shooting.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Pahoo

Rear to the right ???

Not sure what kit you bought but sounds like one of the SideLocks. You have not mentioned whether or not you have an adjustable rear sight but either way, unless I'm missing something, you need to move you rear sight, to the right, pointing down range. ....
Oh yes, start out with a lighter charge and work it up. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old February 28, 2013, 03:21 PM   #3
mykeal

I don't know why you assumed he need to move the rear sight to the right. He didn't specify what direction, left or right, he had to hold. That's kind of important.

Assuming he shot at least a 3 shot group using the center of the bull as the Point of Aim (POA), if the Point Of Impact (POI, that is, the center of the 3 shot group) is to the left of the POA, he needs to move the rear sight to the right (in the direction he wants the POI to move). Of course, if the POI is to the right of the bull, he needs to move the rear sight to the left. If the rear sight is not adjustable but the front sight is (in a dovetail, for instance), the front sight is moved the opposite way. That is, to the left if the POI is to the left of the POA or to the right if the POI is to the right of the POA.

If he is basing his statement on one round, then the above is of no help.
Old February 28, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
noelf2

He did specify direction. If you picture a clock with a 24" diameter set 50 yards away, he has to aim on the edge of the clock, at 9 oclock, to hit the bull. Kind of backwards, but I think I get it.

So if you aim at the bull, you would be hitting 3 oclock, 12" out to the right. You need to move your rear sight to the left. If your rear sight is fixed, you need to move the front sight to the right. If the front sight is fixed, you already know what to do, and that's called kentucky windage. As Pahoo said, you may get it better by adjusting the load (powder, ball, patch, etc.). Have fun, good luck!

Last edited by noelf2; February 28, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

IIRC

The front sight is dovetailed.

That means it could be off. The rear sight is screwed to the barrel IIRC. If I am wrong about this, please forgive.

I'd make sure the front sight was right before adjusting the rear sight. Might just be misadjusting the rear to make up for a problem up on the foc'sle.
Old February 28, 2013, 05:25 PM   #6
mykeal

Yep. You're right. My bad.

Guess I better get rid of this damn digital watch....
Old February 28, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
kwhi43

Some people shouldn't be allowed out of the house!
Old February 28, 2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Pahoo

Giving the benefit of the doubt !!!

Quote:
I don't know why you assumed he need to move the rear sight to the right
You are correct that with the given information or lack of it, I had to interpret what is going on. I assumed that this was based on a group of shots, he had good form and cheek-weld and has some experience, after all, he is building a kit. Let's just say that I gave him credit for what he was doing. Also wanted to make sure he was starting out with a reasonable load to remove that factor. ....

Going to have to watch your future postings as well. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 28, 2013, 06:21 PM   #9
mykeal

Quote:
Some people shouldn't be allowed out of the house!
You really don't think SWMBO is going to shovel the walk, do you?
Old February 28, 2013, 07:33 PM   #10
captainrock39

ok I am aiming at bulleye its 12 inches to right using 68 grains of 3f the front and rear sights are dove tail cut in green mountain barrell percussion if it matters not exactly a kit used a blue print.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:34 PM   #11
kwhi43

Tap the rear sight to the left about 1/8 inch. You will be very close. Or tap the
Front sight to the right about the same 1/8 inch. Or move both about 1/16 of
A inch. Probably look better that way. 1/16 to the left for rear and 1/16 to the
Right for the front. Let me know how this works. This is my wife's idea anyway.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:09 PM   #12
noelf2

I'd increase powder charge to at least 80 grain fffg. 68 is a bit light IMHO.
Old March 1, 2013, 06:34 PM   #13
maillemaker

Do not alter your sights until you have determined the optimal bullet and powder for your gun.

Black powder arms are not like cartridge guns. They have to be tuned to find the optimal bullet and charge that gives you the best group.

Once you have found the best group, then you can adjust your sights.

Steve
Old March 1, 2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Hope to offer a little clarity.
When aiming your gun directly at the targets bullseye.

You move your Rear sight in the same direction you want your gun to shoot.
(You want your gun to shoot left you move your Rear sight to the left to correct)

You move your Front sight in the opposite direction you want your gun to shoot.
(If you want your gun to shoot to the left. You move your Front sight to the right to correct.)

If your unable to get enough movement from your Rear sight to correct. Re-center the Rear sight. Bump your Front sightly a little off center (in the direction earlier stated.) Not much just a little. Then make adjustments to the Rear sight again.
Keep this routine up until its sight picture is corrected.

Keep in mind your Front sight doubles the movement made by your Rear sight. So a little movement to your Front sight (does make) a big difference in sight correction.

Changing your powder charges either increases your projectiles arch or can also reduces the projectiles arch as well.

More powder used the less arch. (Your rifles projectile will impact on its target >lower.)

Less powder used the higher the arch. (Your rifles projectile will impact its target >higher.)

I hope this info helps sighting a firearm in >a simple task to do.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 1, 2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: tweak a little
Old March 2, 2013, 12:35 PM   #15
Fingers McGee

Very concise explanation Sure Shot.

Fingers (Show Me MO Smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 2, 2013, 12:42 PM   #16
RonR6

Show us a pic straight down the barrel. Did you shoot a 3 shot group. What barrel twist1/72. Are you shooting a.530 patched ball or something else?? It could be as simple as a quick adjustment of a badly centered sight.

Last edited by RonR6; March 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old March 2, 2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Fingers McGee
Thank you, for the compliment Sir._

S/S
Old March 4, 2013, 01:49 AM   #18
shortwave

Yes, well spoken S/S.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:41 PM   #19
captainrock39

Ok thats for the info I will take it to the range and adjust accordingly, more info its 1 in 66 twist