The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 14, 2012, 01:03 AM   #26
MLeake

You didn't list it as an option, but if you are looking at compact HK .40 pistols, you might consider the USP compact.

A couple friends of mine are Federal Flight Deck Officers, and they are issued the USP .40 Compact with LEM trigger. They both swear by theirs, and bought their own personal copies. (Can't carry the Federally issued one outside the cockpit.)
Old November 14, 2012, 01:28 AM   #27
Water-Man

IMO, if you don't mind the weight, the listed Sig is the best of the bunch followed by the HK.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:17 AM   #28
JimDandy

Quote:
And as a final note, no JimDandy, I do not have a gun chosen to equal the "quality" of your 1911.
You were taking seriously some good natured teasing between a 1911 fan and a Glock fan. Glock and 1911 are much like Chevy and Ford, John Deer and Case/Farmall/International Harvester, or if you have a teenaged daughter Team Edward and Team Jacob...
Old November 14, 2012, 10:37 AM   #29
Theohazard

When choosing .40 for your caliber, just keep in mind that it's not vastly more effective compared to the 9mm, despite what you might have heard. In terms of real-world shootings, the .40 is - at best - only marginally more effective than the 9mm.
Old November 14, 2012, 11:37 AM   #30
1hogfan83

I own the SW M&P compact 9 and as of last Thursday the HK P200SK. The latter is a beautiful gun, although some would say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. cough cough glock. The SW is much more comfortable. Ive shot the walther PPS, ultra slim and for its size, very accurate. Although its very light, you do have to give something up, pain. I think the best of all worlds would be the M&P if money was a factor, if not, the HK.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old November 14, 2012, 08:12 PM   #31
jackpine

Quote:
(I'm a nurse in a pediatric intensive care unit).
O.K. important info! In that case a Kahr arms of the size and caliber that you can afford and a smartcarry or thunder wear "holster" low cost option would be either a keltec P-11 or a used AMT back up in good shape.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:30 AM   #32
fender1974

Glock 23

For a .40, I really like the G23. I know it's all personal preference, but I love the size, weight, look and feel of this gun. I find the recoil to be comfortable. I'd give it a shot, hard to beat the reliability of a Glock.