The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2000, 05:51 AM   #1
Viceroy808

Being away from home for so long traveling, one of the first things I intend to do is to treat myself to a nice shotgun purchase. Living close to sea and rain, I'm seriously leaning towards a MarineCote finish. I've seen the choices:

Mossberg: www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm
Remington: www.remington.com/firearm...0MRMAG.HTM
Winchester: www.winchester-guns.com/p...stnmar.htm

So which one has the best finish? I really am at a loss here on which shotgun to get. Any other suggestions, and opinions would be great and most valued.
Old November 17, 2000, 05:48 AM   #2
Ned Roundtree

I owned a Remington Marine Magnum. Wish I had never gotten rid of it. It is the best one, hands down. I mean it, end of discussion. Look no farther!
Old November 17, 2000, 09:20 AM   #3
Hook_N_Bullet

I have a Mossberg 590 and the action is super smooth. But I've never used a Remington, so you may want to stick with Ned's advice. One nice thing about the Mossbergs is there are a million accessories for them.
Old November 18, 2000, 02:38 PM   #4
Bennett Richards

Best Marine shotgun...

Remington 870 MM... hands down. The electroless Nickle finish on these is neigh-on indestructable. Will not mar or rust or corrode. The Mossberg "Marinecoat" is a joke in comparison.

The Remington is hard to find, but worth the hunt and the extra money. After you find on, send it to Hans Vang for the VangComp mod.

Ben