The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2010, 12:53 AM   #1
FullCry

Berry bullet loading data?

I can't find any loading data using Berry bullets. I want to load 40 s&w hollow points, either 135 or 150 grain and possibly 180 grain. I have on hand jhp loads listed with power, bullet weight and brand etc and am wondering if I can use the same load with the same bullet weight but use the berry bullet. I have heard that the berry bullets are cast with a very thin jacket...but I don't know for I'm a newbie.

I also am looking at a Lee Progressive 1000 press which is sold with a carbide three die set. Can a four die set be used on this press? Thanks for any replies...FullCry

Last edited by FullCry; February 23, 2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old February 23, 2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Rig Magician

I am new also, you can do a search for Berry's and you will find a welth of knowldge. But for the Berry's you load them the same a lead cast bullets.
Mark
Old February 23, 2010, 05:37 AM   #3
M&P40

I shoot nothing but Berry's and if your load them to lead bullet specifications you'll be fine or reduce a jacketed load by 10%. That info is on their website. ON 40's I use 4.5 grns of 700x for a 180gr FP. Lee's 2nd edition reloading manual has copper plated reloading data in it also.
Old February 23, 2010, 06:39 AM   #4
srsmith

I use lots of Berrys bullets in several calibers.
This is their FAQ page:
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq.aspx?q=9&c=1

This is what they say about loading:
"Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads. "

You should keep the muzzle velocity < 1200 fps.

My max loads for Berrys are set up for about 1100 fps.

Be safe and have fun !
-steve
Old February 23, 2010, 07:55 PM   #5
gregjc9

I'm using Berrys for 380, 9mm and 45ACP, and I use the lower to mid range of FMJ load data with very good results.

Greg
Old February 23, 2010, 10:09 PM   #6
k9cougar

I've also loaded Berry's using low to mid range FMJ with good results.