The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

What is the best and most affortable SEMI-AUto 12gauge?

Wanting to know the best and most affortable semi auto shotgun that is out there. Looking to spend anywhere from $200-1500 for a good semi auto 12gauge. What would yall suggest?
Old September 25, 2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Tom C.

You don't say what you intend to do with it. Sporting clays? defense? Those are quite different.
What you eventually get will be a matter of personal preferencel. I like the Browning Auto-5/Remington Model 11. They are only available used. I have one to which I have mounted rifle sights. I use it in IPSC 3 gun competition, but I could also use it for deer with slugs, or home defense. I have also used it for sporting clays.
Most people will vote for something like the Remington 1100 or 11/87, or the Winchester Super X Model II. All are good, just depends on your preferences. Consider the possibility of having multiple barrels to convert the gun for specific tasks.
Old September 25, 2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Skeetin'870

Beretta 3901 you can pick htem up for 400 and they are every bit as good as the top of the line semi auto berettas. Mine was stolen this morning and i wish i had it to shoot the people with.
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old September 25, 2005, 11:53 AM   #4
9mmMike

Short list:

Remington 1100 - my favorite
Beretta 390/391
Winchester SX2 (& SX1)

Buy the one that fits you.

Good luck,

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old September 25, 2005, 01:37 PM   #5
IrvJr

Remington 1100

I like the Remington 1100 in 12ga. A couple of years ago I was also debating on which semi-auto shotgun to get (Remington, Beretta, Benelli, etc.). I ultimately went with the Remington 1100 and I'm very happy with it.

It's very reliable (gas operated), soft shooting, durable, and fairly affordable (although the retail price has gone up a lot since I bought one a couple of years ago). I use it mostly for clay use and it works well, even with light target loads. It patterns well and also fits me pretty well. For my needs, it is a good all-purpose semi-auto. Also, although I don't take such great care of it (I don't really clean it too often) it still keeps on cycling reliably.

My 1100 came with a 28" barrel. However, I also picked up an extra 22" barrel that has a fiber optic front bead and a metal mid bead for fun. It's actually the same barrel that is sold on the Remington Competition Master 1100 http://www.remington.com/firearms/sh...on_master.htm).

The only drawback with the 1100 is that if you want to shoot 3" Magnum shells out of it, you're probably better of getting an 11-87 or some other gun. I believe that most of the 12 ga 1100's are configured for 2-3/4" shells, although I seem to recall there is one version of the 1100 that accepts the 3" long shells. I prefer the 1100, because it more reliably cycles the lighter target loads that I use than a 3" gun.

Definitely check the 1100 out. You can probably find a good deal on a used one in your area.
Old September 25, 2005, 01:41 PM   #6
9mmMike

My 1100 is a 3" magnum but I run a 2 3/4" barrel on it. Never fired a 3"er.

Mine also has the 21"/22" barrel with the mid bead & +3 factory extension w/clamp. It is a real hoot.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old September 25, 2005, 09:47 PM   #7
exoduster16

I have an 11-87 and have not been disappointed. I have kept real clean and have taken good care of it since I got it about 8 years ago. It has a 2 3/4 in. or 3 in. capability and I have put 1000+ rounds through it and it functions flawlessly still to this day. I've put slugs, all kinds of buckshot, 3 in. magnum shells, just everything and it has NEVER JAMMED. Not once. Not even a hiccup. I love this gun.
Remington Model 11-87 12 guage
Remington Model 870 Express 12 Gauge w/18.5 in. barrel
And plenty of ammo for all of them
Old September 28, 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Jrm5204

Saiga 12 if you can get one. The only thing bad about it is spare mags are expensive and hard to find.
Old September 28, 2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Ruger4570

I would say pretty much what has been posted.. I have Rem 1100's 1187's and a Berreta 390.. All have been fired thousands of time and with a minimum of care. Any of these are good guns and you really won't go wrong.
Old September 30, 2005, 06:26 AM   #10
Ignition

sagia 12g HANDS down

basically its a shotgun in the form of a ak47, but on steroids

supercheap and realible.

extra mags are expensive as hell though. because ATF likes to put a squeeze on importers and remmington when it bought out EAA stopped importing saiga stuff because it was basically competition. currently there arent US mag makers... but sooner or later somone will start producing the mags here in the US... and after the initial buying frenzy the cost will drop down and things should be good.

but yeah saiga 12 is best bang for buck

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old September 30, 2005, 03:27 PM   #11
CorpseEater

Hey Ignition, I don't know if you've heard yet or not, but a new importer picked up the saiga line, and from what I've heard theyll be stocking the 5 rounders. 8 and 10 rounders will still be expensive and hard to get ahold of until some US manufacturers start.
Old October 1, 2005, 01:34 AM   #12
Ignition

yeah rusmilitary is supposed to be picking up the line.... they are just dragging their feet.... and i guess the ATF is giving them grief about importing the hi-capacity mags.... which really you cant view as hi-caps since its still only 10 rounds... right? hehe

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old October 3, 2005, 10:25 PM   #13
Mr.XD9mm

Hmmm sounds good

The shotgun would be for self defense and the occasional squirel outing.
What kind of prices on those listed on this section?
Have only seen the Saia in magazines but no prices guess I would have to go to the Gun Show to pick up some of the harder to find.
Old October 3, 2005, 10:56 PM   #14
expeditionx

EAA was never bought out by Remington. What happened is EAA lost their association with the company that used to export arms from Russia "IZHMASH". EAA is still open for business. Remington gained a contract to distribute a certain "IZHMASH" brand of shotgun. Remington never bought out anyone.

The new importer is RAA in the United States
heres the website http://www.raacfirearms.com/test/index.htm
The ATF wont allow RAA to import magazines larger than 5 rounds for the shotgun or they will declare the saiga shotguns as Destructive Devices and that would screw up everyones day. Its a direct ATF threat to RAA.
Apparently the ATF is out to make a case against anyone that is not authorized to have a semiauto shotgun with a detachable magazine over 5 rounds. If they declare the saiga shotguns destructive devices registration is the next step. Some states wont allow DD's for civilians.
Mags over 5 rounds for the saiga shotguns are likely to screw up alot of peoples saiga ownership.