The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 14, 2015, 07:38 AM   #1
BoogieMan

K31 Auction

I have never seen a K31 at any of the LGS that I go to regularly. I am going to the Oaks gun show at the end of the month but I expect it to be much like the Charlotte show with prices severely inflated. That leaves me gunbroker to find one. Had fair luck in the past buying a M95 and Hungarian MN. Now that I am looking at K31's what should I be looking for? How many manufacturers are there? Is one manufacturer more desirable or valuable than another? What years are most desirable? Other than numbers matching and condition is there anything specific I should be aware of?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 14, 2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Mosin-Marauder

For some reason (unknown to me) Walnut stocks seem to be more value than the Beech stocks. Walnut stocks indicate a "war time" build. Though none of these rifles were ever used in any conflicts. Beech Stocked rifles (1945-195?) Will have less barrel mileage. Absolutely positively look for a troop tag underneath the buttplate. Manufacturers aren't marked differently on K-31's (as far as I know). Expect bluing to be worn, and stocks to have "beaver bites" along the buttstock where the Swiss soldat would be at his cleats with it. These rifles were used and trained with. Never refurbed. Make sure the barrel is bright and shiny (most are). Other than that, numbers matching is all I can think of. Much luck in finding the rifle you want.

Regards,

-Mo.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old March 14, 2015, 08:31 AM   #3
amx4080

Quote:
How many manufacturers are there?
One.

Quote:
Is one manufacturer more desirable or valuable than another?
Only made from one factory, so no.

Quote:
What years are most desirable?
No real difference in years.

Quote:
Other than numbers matching and condition is there anything specific I should be aware of?
Some like the walnut stock better, but go for overall condition.

A K31 isn't too hard to find, and they are still available from the distributors (AIM has them on 3/14/2015). Widen your search from one auction/classified site (Here's a list of current K31 listings).
Old March 14, 2015, 08:37 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

A WWII date may be of more interest than other years, but some postwar rifles are unissued. Walnut stocks are a small premium over Birch.

The quality is Swiss, and consistent for the entire issue, so don't fret. The troops also took very good care of their weapons.

You will like your Swiss rifle when you get it.
Old March 14, 2015, 09:32 AM   #5
tobnpr

Surprisingly, some more seem to have hit the market...
As mentioned AIM, SOG, and others have them for about $300- and don't pass it up.

Much as I like the Mosin-Nagant, the K-31 is like a Swiss watch- incredibly well built, and accurate with the GP-11 ammo that also, is still reasonably priced and available.

The ammunition used was never corrosive primed- so the bores are almost always in great condition.

Buy as many as you can afford- the price will only go up.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 14, 2015, 11:40 AM   #6
BoogieMan

Thanks for the store info. I checked that out and it seems to be a pretty god deal. I have a M95 on the way to my LGS now so I mind as well add a K31 and only pay NICS once. I wish that SARCO had K31s because they have mauser stripped receivers that I want.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 14, 2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Nodak1858

If you're looking for a nice K31, check our Simpson Arms. You can look though their site and pick out the exact rifle you want. And their prices are better than a lot on the net. I bought 2 Swiss straight pulls last month and I couldn't be happier. I have 2 K31s, one beech and one walnut stocked flavor. Can't say I really like one over the other, both are good stocks. I have 5 Swiss rifles total and all are amazing pieces of work. If you check out the Swiss Rifles Forums you can brush up your knowledge and you can find out answers to any questions you have. Nice people on that site and the wealth of info can't be beat.
Old March 14, 2015, 06:42 PM   #8
reddog81

I bought a k31 from aimsurplus last month. I went with a hand picked beechwood stock. The gun I got is in great condition. Better than any of the auction guns I looked at and cheaper.
I think people prefer the look of walnut and the fact that they are ww2 era. However the beech stocks are newer so overall they might have less wear.
Classicfirearms also has k31's and theirs come with a sling if you go the hand picked route from them.
Old March 14, 2015, 11:49 PM   #9
2ndsojourn

Boogieman, Lock's gun shop in Philly has a lot of milsurps. Give 'em a call and they'll tell you if they have any K31's. PM me if you need additional info.
Old March 15, 2015, 10:40 AM   #10
zfk55

MM, you have it backwards. Beech replaced Walnut during the war years when the Walnut supply became scarce.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old March 15, 2015, 10:45 AM   #11
Mosin-Marauder

Oh, my apologies.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old March 15, 2015, 11:59 AM   #12
zfk55

No need to apologize. I'm wrong 7 out of 10 times. Just ask my kids!

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'