The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 19, 2009, 04:36 PM   #1
troy_mclure

change of eye dominance??

i dont know what the heck is going on here, i just had an eye exam last month and every thing was fine.

ive shot tens of thousands of hand gun rounds, always both eyes open, easy to acquire targets, etc...

but today i went to put a box of 10mm thru my razorback and started with my .22.

i couldnt hit crap, then i noticed i was shooting with 1 eye, and it was my left eye!

im right handed for handguns, ambi for long guns, but was always right eye dominate on hand guns.

i tried keeping both eyes open, but couldnt focus on anything, i tried to use my right eye, but still no good.

and i cant hit crap left eyed!

i cant tell any change in vision, so what the heck happened?!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 19, 2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I think you may be having an off day. Happens to all of us as far as I'm concerned. The other factor may be you may have changed eyes for dominance. It's an occurance that can happen. You can actively pursue changing dominant eyes. Your brain could have made your eyes start vying for dominance and it found using your other eye was best.

But instead of overthinking it, I'm betting you just had an off-day. Were you tired or had a rough night's sleep last night?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 19, 2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Edward429451

It could be merely indication of a deficiency in Vit A in your system also.
Juice a couple bags of carrots or go on some Vit A and see if you don't get better.
Old December 19, 2009, 06:27 PM   #4
troy_mclure

i got as much sleep as always. ill go back tomorrow since i didnt bother shooting the 10mm.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 19, 2009, 06:48 PM   #5
alloy

Mine changed over the years, I still shoot rifles right handed w/right eye, but now pistols are right handed, left eye which has become my dominant eye. It's not all that great after shooting a rifle for a while and then immediately switching to a pistol but otherwise no matter.
You around the 40-44 age range? If so, the carrots won't help too much.
Old December 19, 2009, 10:13 PM   #6
bamaranger

fifty something

Shot today and had trouble bringing the front sight on my M4 carbine into focus.

Its actually closer to my eyes than a handgun front sight when arms/elbows fully extended., locked out, point shoulder.

Fifty yard groups from showed it too!

Fifty something is the pits.
Old December 20, 2009, 11:03 PM   #7
sandman

Was that eye exam by an Ophthalmologist or an Optometrist, and did they dilate your eyes for the exam? Was there quite a bit of sunlight on that day? If so, (and I don't know your age) and you are beginning to have a cataract in your eye, the other eye may be trying to take over it's partners job.
This post written under direction of somebody that knows more than I do about eyes, so don't think I know anything about them, or even how to spell those big names up top.
sandman
Old December 20, 2009, 11:05 PM   #8
sandman

Bamaranger,
Fifty something may be the pits, but beats the alternative of not getting any older.
sandman