The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2006, 01:31 AM   #1
GlocksRfun

Pistol Grip shotguns hurt

I was at friends land for a few days over the 4th. Shot way too many slugs out of the double pistol gripped shotgun (12 gauge). Every time I sqeeze my hands, it hurts. Now, other than the obvious, what can I do to lesson felt recoil. I put a houge grip on. That really didn't do much of anything. Does anyone know of a super squishy something or other I could put on to help?
Old July 7, 2006, 02:07 AM   #2
rhgunguy

Um, put a stock on it?
Old July 7, 2006, 02:12 AM   #3
chemist308

I once had a 12 guage accidentally discharge with holding it by the grip and in my right hand--yes I'm right handed. The recoil tore it out of my hand and it landed half way across the room. It wasn't a pistol grip and I have no idea how you'd control one with such a 'stock.' Maybe with low brass loads....
Old July 7, 2006, 04:18 AM   #4
stang46gt

They are not a pleasure

weapon to shoot. I have a mossberg 500, cruiser but I rarely fire it. I keep it the cargo hold of my vehicle for emergencies. A good shotgun is one with a stock.
Old July 7, 2006, 04:40 AM   #5
Action_Can_Do

I've always felt that pistol gripped shotguns were less punishing than stocked ones, but I guess it comes down to preference. I believe they make a special glove for this particular type of shooting, and I don't mean the standard shooting glove.
Old July 7, 2006, 05:39 AM   #6
silicon wolverine

Gloves

They do. Its the same one used by mechanics for operating air impact wrenches. It has gel in pockets in the palm. I have a pair. PG shotguns are a fun range toy but can lead to serious medical problems down the road. I knew a gentelman who shot trap with a PG 870 (disabled fella with only one hand) and he developed severe carpal tunnel syndrome from it.

SW
Old July 7, 2006, 06:05 AM   #7
blume357

I have a mossberg 12g with pistol grip & 18" barrell

you will not shoot 00 magnum buck out of that thing unless you need too. I can't imagine a slug... it's like someone giving you a good slap with a baseball bat.
Old July 7, 2006, 12:01 PM   #8
GlocksRfun

gel gloves, that sounds like a good idea.. The target loads aren't that bad. The slugs will draw blood after a while. I can see the carpool tunnel thing, 4 days later I still feel it, it's not all that bad today. I would like to think that someone makes a super squishy pistol grip.
Old July 7, 2006, 12:39 PM   #9
johnsonrlp

Makes me wonder why anyone would want a Serbu Super Shorty. Stocks are nice. A pistol grip and a stock is nicer.
Old July 7, 2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Mannlicher

now if you really want to feel the pain that can be associated with pistol grip shotties, hold yours up as if you were sighting down the barrel, yes, hold it up close to your face, now pull the trigger.................

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 7, 2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

I know three NOW well trained shooters who have done this, Mannlicher. They were tricked into doing this by friends before they were one with the force.

Oh, well - it does hurt -
Old July 10, 2006, 02:50 PM   #12
tacticalcity

Try a Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock

Try the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. It has a pistol grip and a telescoping stock. It has a built in shock absorber that reduces the felt recoil (no pain). Seriously, the damn thing works. Make sure you get the one that reduces recoil. They have a cheap model called the NRS that doesn't. It's a good stock, but the if the goal is to eliminate the pain, then you want a regular SpecOps stock. Oh yeah, visit www.knoxx.com for info on the product.
Old July 10, 2006, 06:04 PM   #13
LSU12ga

this is how i hold it

okay,

I used to have a Pg on my 870, they way i used to shoot it was infront of me, like holding a regular gun. i would hold the grip about 9inches from my face, and it would work like a charm, and there was not to much recoil, becuase your arm absorbs it.

Now, so much to say, i put the stock back on becuase i would have to get ready to fire it from eye height, and since this gun is for defense, i dont want to have to waste that extra second.
Old July 10, 2006, 06:58 PM   #14
Ruger4570

Well I guess it is the price you have to pay for being "Tacky Cool" Suck it up and quit complaining. You loose the "cool" and "aura" when you do complain about a little discomfort. Rambo never complained about anything.
Old July 10, 2006, 07:52 PM   #15
'75Scout

Pistol grip shotguns are only really useful as door breachers. That being said any of the 4 stocks offered from Knoxx will do the trick. I have the Compstock because I find the normal shotgun style stock to be the most effective. The Compstock really absorbs the recoil and I enjoy shooting slugs. Magnum loads still have so punch though. www.knoxx.com
Old July 10, 2006, 08:14 PM   #16
gripster

pistol grip shot guns are good for all home defense. you really don't half to aim it. just point it in that direction and shoot. odds are you will not miss. using the right load. like mixing it up. 1st bird shot, then double 00 buck shot. or the other way around. it really don't matter. always remember two fire at least twice.
Old July 10, 2006, 08:27 PM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Maybe now you'll believe me.....

Gripster, do you ever get out to MD?....
Old July 10, 2006, 11:22 PM   #18
NwG

"pistol grip shot guns are good for all home defense. you really don't half to aim it. just point it in that direction and shoot. odds are you will not miss. using the right load. like mixing it up. 1st bird shot, then double 00 buck shot. or the other way around. it really don't matter. always remember two fire at least twice."

This is possably one of most unimformed and flat out wrong post I have ever seen...

"pistol grip shot guns are good for all home defense"

I you are talking 2 pistol grips and no stock.. NO they are not.. You lose pretty much all control of the wepon, make follow up shots extreamly slow, and take away a MAJOR strike face of the wepon..

"you really don't half to aim it. just point it in that direction and shoot."

At indoor HD range (0-10 yards) the pattern of the shot is almost a solid mass.. Even at 10 yards (A range you will almost NEVER find inside a home) the avrage spread of buchshot is ~10".. The avrage pattern spread is ~ 1" per yard.. Hardly point in the area and shoot type pattern.. Plus this is a very stupid and dangrous idea...

"odds are you will not miss."

With a stockless duel pistolgrip shotgun odds are you WILL miss.. This is a gunfight not a range day.. WAY too many things come in to play for such a silly wepon system...

"using the right load. like mixing it up. 1st bird shot, then double 00 buck shot. or the other way around. it really don't matter"

Another rather stupid idea.. Birdshot will cause a massive wound.. But it will most likely NOT penatrate anywhere near what is required to stop a BG.. You are looking for vital organs here.. Not flesh wounds...
As for mixin it up.. What if that one shot you get to save your live is birshot.. your screwed.. Load with buckshot.. Dosen't really matter if it is #4 or 000 (I like OO) and keep slugs hand if you need the distance...

"always remember two fire at least twice."

Have fun doin this with a 2x pistolgrip gun in any useful manner..

Remember this is a gunfight.. A fight for your LIFE.. Nobody is going to care how "Uber-tactica-cool" you shotgun looks when it is sitting next to the bloody stump that used to be your body...

I highly suggest you save some money and take a quality shotgun class..
Better yet.. Show up with a stockless 2x pistolgrip 12g!!

"Fear of death will not prevent dying - but it may prevent living."
Old July 10, 2006, 11:33 PM   #19
oldbillthundercheif

I shot some of those "light magnum" Hornady 00 loads out of a short pistol-grip 12ga last weekend. That same shotgun had previously given me a horrible beating, but this time it was no problem. If you use loads suitable to the gun it's really fairly controllable, but still devestating inside of 15 yards.
Old July 11, 2006, 12:52 AM   #20
GlocksRfun

Thanks for the links. That looks like the way to go. It looks a little long, but I like the springs idea. That woman in the video is hot

Quote:
Well I guess it is the price you have to pay for being "Tacky Cool" Suck it up and quit complaining. You loose the "cool" and "aura" when you do complain about a little discomfort. Rambo never complained about anything.
Yesterday 06:04 PM
lol, I got at least 100 pounds to go before I get to "Rambo" status, I'm probably closed to "weekend warrior" status...

NWG.... I see what your saying.. and it makes sense and all.. but It's a for fun gun.. I'm pretty sure that I'll never need to use a gun for self defense purposes, but if I do, It'll most likely be the .45. My barrel was born as a 28 incher, cut with a dremel down to 18 1/2... I'm willing to bet I get more spread than a well manufactured barrel. I've put over 100 slugs and countless target bird shot through it.... I could hit something that was within 10 feet away with little to no effort. I agree with the barely have to aim post that u disagree with. When my shotgun is shooting clays next to a "normal" shotgun, with same ammo, my range is a lot less.... As for follow up shots... There were 4 people all unloading on a scarecrow and I'm pretty sure I shot faster than anyone with 2x pistol grip... I'll try and get that video up. I agree that a pg's shotgun is more maneuverable, I'm not a professional, I don't have any kind of formal training. All I know is that if I stay away from the actual bullet flying and the hot burning gasses, it's not gonna hurt me, unless I have a Kaboom. It is very maneuverable if your not afraid of it, or if your not afraid to handle it in a manner that would have trained personnel yelling at you. I see what ur saying about the training and all. I'm just a civilian exercising my 2nd amendment rights.

Thanks to all that responded. I'll try to whine less from now on
Old July 11, 2006, 06:00 PM   #21
gripster

don't let NwG tell you wrong. you do what you feel is best by you. i am not wrong like NwG says i am. he can think what ever he wants too. that's why this is America man. it's his opinion.
Old July 11, 2006, 07:38 PM   #22
scotts_4x

NwG, have you ever seen a shotgun wound from close range in which birdshot was used? I beleive you are absolutely wrong about birdshot not stopping a BG. beleive what you must, but I have seen through holes in people that came from the use of a shotgun with birdshot.

-Scott
Old July 11, 2006, 08:09 PM   #23
NwG

"NwG, have you ever seen a shotgun wound from close range in which birdshot was used"

Yes I have.. Of the three birdshot cases I have seen only one penatrated into the vital cavity.. But did not do sunifagant enough damage to vital organs to stop the victim from running 3 blocks.. The shot was reportedly at a range of 10 feet.. The other two stripped most of the tissue from the outside of the rib cage in around a 15x15cm area.. Both victims were able to call EMS themselves..

Of the 5 or so buckshot wounds I have seen.. All were DOA.. X-ray showed the mojority of the shot resting just under the skin of the back, but no exit wounds.. In most cases each buckshot will generate a fatal wound.. One case showed 3 of the buckshot lodged in the spine.. That shot had both massive vital organ damage and multiple central nervous system disruptions.. Couldn't ask for more than that out of a HD wepon...

And yes you are free to do what you want, shoot what you want, and do anything you like (within legal means) to your weapons.. Nobody is going to stop you from doing so.. But with does come to a point where you are only hurting your ability and accuracy... You may not think so, but try going up vs somebody who is well trained with the proper equpement... Because some of the BG's out there are.......

"Fear of death will not prevent dying - but it may prevent living."
Old July 11, 2006, 09:22 PM   #24
'75Scout

I'm with NWG. I believe that PG shotties are a horrible idea for HD. For fun, like you said it was for, and breaching doors they are fine. I find my Knoxx Compstock and 18.5" barrel to be quite manuverable and I can put a 1oz slug on a man sized target at 100yds easily with rifle sights. I highly doubt anyone with a pg shottie can do that.
Old July 12, 2006, 03:30 AM   #25
GlocksRfun

Well, a lot of my friends that I've shown this to have told me that I'm stupid. We made a target, and when the time came to retire it, I recorded.. These are just target loads. I don't think this really proves anything either way, but it was fun. And I figure I'd post it here. This is the kind of thing I use it for.

http://www.vidiLife.com/video_play_7....htm?tc=411450