DennisCA

My Mosins

I was taking some gun pic's - so I decided to post them:

[IMG][/IMG]
From Left to Right:
Mosin (Laminate) 91-30/Finn M39/Polish M44

With the instruments of death:
[IMG][/IMG]
(FYI - The bayo on the M39 is a repo but I'm ok with that - can't afford a original one)
Old March 1, 2015, 01:26 AM   #2
skizzums

you should just rename the thread the "FREE FOR-ALL Mosin Picture thread

heres a few of mine. I have one more, but it currently resides at my fathers house

left is a Finn M-91 "D" barrel, I picked it up for 100$ even with the crappy monte carlo stock. I tried for a couple months to find the original Finn stock, but only found two in excess of 400-600$. middle is a 42 Izhevfk that I sanded and refinished(first gun, didn't know any beter, although it is BEEYOOOTIFUL) and the far right is a Chinese.

the finn that I just couldn't find a stock for I turned into an all-out project gun since it shot pretty good. I was never able to betterthan 3-4 MOA with any of the m-n's I had handles, partly my fault I am sure and partly the ammo and stocks I assume. so I went on a mission for an MOA mosin, I have gottem close so far and confident I will get there soon. so thise one, I cut and crowned, removed the rear sight base, turned the entire barrel on a lothe. added scope mount, muzzle brake and did lots of polishing and tightening up. still working on finding the ultimate handload for it, but I am getting close.

ati archangel, wsn't my first choice, ut man is that a tight fitting stock, very impressive and I wouldn't throw her outta bed either.
/s998.photobucket.com/user/nwalker73/media/Mosin/60524D3F-9598-4742-A9B0-E675EBD02557_zpssvn8nak0.jpg.html][/URL]
the timney....wow. I felt like a sucker dropping 90$ for a trigger on a 100$ gun, but man is it worth it.

I know I am not going to be out shooting an M1 or anything, but this is y first set of load devopment, and I really think with some different combos, some work on the mount and some more trigger time I can get her right on the cusp of an MOA rifle. these are all 100 yards, the big middle target being the only factory ammo. the rest being different loads of 4064 under the hornaday .313 174gr. know, I know....I could spend less on an off the rack budget rifle and get the same to better results, but I am having fun
Old March 1, 2015, 01:32 AM   #3
skizzums

nice set of rifles btw. I bet I could scrounge up some originals bayos I have laying around. I go though my stuff for you. although I don't know exactly how to decipher an original from a repro, ill just put up some pics and maybe you can tell me. I wouldn't want much for it, if anything
Old March 2, 2015, 08:25 AM   #4
tobnpr

Great start.
An M1891 will round it out beautifully.
Nice of me to spend your money, huh?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old March 7, 2015, 12:56 AM   #5
CLC

Wish I could post pics. Got a m/n 91, 5 m/n 91/30's, 2 m/n 44's and a m/n 38. The m/n 91 I have is a N.E.W. with [SA] stamps.
Old March 7, 2015, 08:36 AM   #6
tobnpr

Quote:
The m/n 91 I have is a N.E.W. with [SA] stamps.
Nice...looking for one of them, and a Remington for the collection.
I like the Finns, but the U.S. made Mosin-Nagants are an interesting part of history.

Beautiful Remington just sold here...overpriced IMO, but still- would be hard to find a nicer one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=468929554
Old March 7, 2015, 08:55 AM   #7
WWIII

Here are a few pictures of my Russian M44 mosin nagant along side of my k98! You gotta love mosins!

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/Ja...gjxj7.jpg.html

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/Ja...sjiq7.jpg.html

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/Ja...qvwt4.jpg.html
Old March 7, 2015, 12:43 PM   #8
CLC

Holy heck that's alot for a Remington!! I was thinking they go for around $500 or so not $2000!! I feel really lucky finding the New England Westinghouse and paid around $3-400 some years ago. The [SA] stamps add a bit of history but I do believe it lowers its overall value. I've only seen one Remington at a gunshow and it was all chopped up. Such a shame... my other M/Ns aren't anything too special but I do have a MO stamped 91/30 and Im kinda fond of my mismatch Hungarian m44.
Old March 8, 2015, 10:14 AM   #9
tobnpr

Quote:
Holy heck that's alot for a Remington!! I was thinking they go for around $500 or so not $2000!!
Prices on GB auctions tend to be insane sometimes. But, if you've got a collector with a fat wallet and he needs it to round out his collection, he'll pay what it takes.

I have this discussion a lot on other forums- just because someone pays "X" for a firearm doesn't mean it's "worth" that much- only that it was worth it to him.. (or her...).

Typical Remingtons do, and should, go for about five bills. But- that is the most pristine example I've ever seen. Looks absolutely unissued.

I just purchased a Finn M24, relatively few made with German barrels. I'll post up some pics when I have time.

Quote:
The [SA] stamps add a bit of history but I do believe it lowers its overall value.
You make an interesting point. And, I agree with your sentiment about the Finn capture/Army acceptance (SA) proof. However, there are some collectors that feel the opposite way- that a Finn capture ADDS to the value...but like I said, I don't agree with that on a collectible.

There are some that seem, IMO, to have an bass-ackwards assesment of value, as in a beat-up stock and rifle having more "value" because it was likely used in battle, as opposed to one in good condition that maybe- was not.

I'm just getting into collecting- but everything I've read suggests that condition is everything- with the exception of very rare pieces where it plays a lesser role in determining value. Sellers on GB conjecture about history of a piece for sale, with no provenance or other proof- and there's a sucker (buyer) born every minute, it seems...

Last edited by tobnpr; March 8, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old March 8, 2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Mosin-Marauder

I've thought about getting more Mosins but I felt I hit a home run on my first one and didn't want to be disappointed in a new one.

I'm doing some load testing with her right now with 180 grain soft points and I hope I find a good load I can continue using.

By far the best picture I have.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old March 8, 2015, 10:46 PM   #11
Fatal Wound

Got bite by the Mosin bug a year or so ago. Bought a lot of them so I can pass down to the kids. Very easy to work on. Have redone several. Everyone should own at least 1.
Old April 3, 2015, 07:59 AM   #12
NLMosin

I added a '30 hex Tula to the family. Not pictured here...love my MN's!!