The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 14, 2013, 08:09 AM   #26
ScottRiqui

No real "panic buying", but I did finally get off my duff and trade away some powder I don't need for some powder I do need. I also bought a Browning Hi-Power, but it's been on my "list" for a long time, and it wasn't "panic-priced".

I *did* order 5k large pistol primers, but Powder Valley had them in stock and at the normal price. I just ordered five bricks to dilute the HAZMAT fee.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:13 AM   #27
Hal

Even if I wanted to I can't afford it....
Old February 14, 2013, 08:35 AM   #28
DaleA

No panic buying here...no siree..well...

I went to the local lgs just to see what the effect was and sure enough there was *lot* of empty spaces in the cabinets and on the walls but sitting rather forlornly at the edge of one cabinet was a slightly used Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt for $300. Guess nobody wanted a low cap cowboy colt so I felt compelled to bring it home and show it somebody cared.

Just doing my part to make ALL guns feel appreciated.

And there wasn't much problem getting .45 Colt ammunition either although other calibers were pretty much picked over.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:41 AM   #29
Brotherbadger

The only thing I bought was a 10 pack of pmags for $100, because it seemed like a good deal at Christmas(and I felt 4 wasn't enough). Other than that, I've actually stopped building my AR till the prices come back down.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:44 AM   #30
gaseousclay

not me. the last time I bought .22 ammo was last summer when I acquired my Winchester 9422. I bought 200 rounds of .22 ammo to try out. had I suspected people were going to start hoarding ammo I would've bought 1000 rounds. but, I still haven't touched the 200 I currently have, so i'm not really worried about it. I say let the suckers waste their money on overpriced ammo. i'll wait for the dust to settle and for prices to come back down
Old February 14, 2013, 08:48 AM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't bought a thing and I've shot more in the last week than I have in the last 6 months.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:11 AM   #32
rlc323

Bought an LCP but at usual retail price that it was before the panic hit. I did overpay by 5 bucks for some .380 dies on ebay as Midway was sold out.

I asked my grown son what he wanted for xmas back around the first of Dec. He sent me a link for the Arsenal 101S Ak. I thought that it was a lot of cash for an Ak, but he has always been a damn good kid so I ordered one for each of us and they shipped to my FFL. Xmas morning we put 10 boxes through his, mine is still unfired in the safe. I see that they are up in price a bit since then.

Sold a box of 1000 large pistol primers for $30 to a local fellow who was glad to find them. Probably could have charged more but I only paid $18 for them. The old reciept was stuck in the front of the dusty box.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:39 AM   #33
Rebel

Panic buying??? Maybe...

I will say I have bought more then I would have had this whole mess not been happening in the first place.

I ordered 10 - 30rd pmags and 10 -20rd pmags but at normal prices ($12&$13)

I did buy extra XD mags for my 45 & 9 also but at normal prices ($25).

This whole situation also made me realize how susceptible I am to a panic market. It pushed me off the fence to start educating myself about reloading and I was able to aquire all the items needed to reload at normal prices(no real deals to be had). I'm still waiting on some stuff to ship but they were in stock when i ordered them (verified with a phone call). I've been blessed with a LGS that has many of the items I need to get into reloading(powder & primers mainly) and have not been gouging anyone from what I can see.

The whole grun grab climate has made me wake up and take action to be able to weather these kinds of events in the future. Sucks for me that it took this event for me to wake up but it can be navigated if with a lot of work and patience.

My supplies are light but not bare by any means. I will continue buying and building up my supplys as long as prices stay normal(and my wife doesn't threaten to devorce me! ). I refuse to pay grossly inflated prices and won't do business with gougers when things return to somewhat normal.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:46 AM   #34
mrbatchelor

Who sez it isn't reality based?
Old February 14, 2013, 09:49 AM   #35
TXAZ

No ammo or guns purchased in last 6 months. Even put off purchase of a couple. Like previous scares, I believe many people will financially be forced to sell within the next year or two and there will be a buying opportunity.

We will see.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 14, 2013, 10:47 AM   #36
zincwarrior

I have not purchased any firearms at this point. My original plan for a new pistol or rifle have been put off until Christmas, and then only if the price is right.

I have spent more for rounds than I did last year, but now have several month's worth (including 2-3 competitions a month, which is the big driver).
Old February 14, 2013, 11:34 AM   #37
bigkrackers

I refuse. I have been able to find the Glock mags I want from places that are not jacking up there prices. Just picked up two factory new G19 hi-caps for under $25 each. If I can't find what I want for what would constitute a reasonable price before the panic I will wait.

All those people who went out and bought those $2500 DPMS AR's and spent 100+ per Pmag as investment are going to be very disappointed. And has a hedge against a future ban? Not likely.

This administration and it's anti-2A allies have learned a lot since 1994. Instead of attacking from the federal level - a single, large, frontal assault which can be defended much easier, they are attacking at the state level which is a multi frontal assault and much harder to defend as resources cannot be easily pooled.

If you read some of the more egregious awb's being proposed in various states they are taking out grandfather clauses. You will have a limited amount of time to get the now illegal firearm out of the state, turn it in, or register it with the state. No thanks.

You can keep your panic, I'll keep my head.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:39 AM   #38
Yankee Traveler

No panic buying.

I had 200 rounds, went to the range, bought another 100, came home with 100. Kept the better hollow points.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:05 PM   #39
zxcvbob

Revolver prices are still pretty reasonable.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:38 PM   #40
Inspector3711

No panic here. I keep enough reloading supplies and ammo on hand so I'm good for awhile.

I learned during the first panic.

There are some gun parts and optics I'm thinking about but no big hurry for them....
Old February 14, 2013, 02:39 PM   #41
ThomasT

The only ammo have bought since 2010 was some CCI Quiet 22. That stuff is a hoot to shoot.

I did buy a DPMS AR about two days before it went crazy. I think it was Dec. 20th or so. Paid $714 for the rifle, $100 for a new RRA carry handle and with shipping and transfer have $850 in the gun.

I also just about two weeks ago bought a Glenfield model 75c (16" barrel) for $50 and just a couple of days ago a winchester 1894 30-30 for $275. Its a post 64 model.

I am set on ammo for a very long time. My stash of rounds for the guns I have number in the thousands. Not counting large stores of reloading stuff and lead. Some of my buddies use to laugh at me for my large stock. They aren't laughing much these days. I won't sell my stock.

So no panic buying here. If I see it for a good price I will buy it. If not, it can stay on the shelf.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:50 PM   #42
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Nope... Not me... I do "panic shopping" everyday I clock in at the retailer I work for when I cruise by the ammo cabinet hoping to see bulk .22lr and ANY 20 gauge buckshot...

Since the "spree", I have only scored 3 boxes of 300+ count .22 at regular price and 2 of those went to my dad as he shoots his Henry more than I shoot my Winchester...

He plinks but I generally use mine just for vermin control so I keep him supplied with plenty...

Brent
Old February 14, 2013, 02:55 PM   #43
noelf2

Nope. I'm waiting for all the panic selling in a few months.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:57 PM   #44
PatientWolf

Mostly I engage in panic window-shopping and panic dreaming.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:03 PM   #45
BGutzman

I have engaged in moving up some purchases but not in panic buying... Things I'm buying I had always intended to buy. Would I like a bigger bank of ammo? Sure but Im pretty happy with what I have on hand and happily I had that built up before all this madness...

Last edited by BGutzman; February 17, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:48 PM   #46
Joe_Pike

I've bought a bunch of ammo over the last couple of months. Everything was regular price or close to it, so, I figure you can never have enough ammo. As I close in on 25,000 rounds, though, I may have to rethink that.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:53 PM   #47
thallub

i had a good stock of ammo and reloading supplies before the panic: i'm not playing the silly game.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:01 PM   #48
SPEMack618

I had the darnest time attempting to get enough 20 ga field loads for the kids doing the Shotgun Merit Badge at our winter camp.

That was the only large scale buying I've done during the panic.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:02 PM   #49
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So long as the prices are not set high for this situation... I say buy it up... the retail MSRP isn't going down no matter how relaxed the buying becomes...

Brent
Old February 14, 2013, 04:18 PM   #50
dfsixstring

I'm hanging tight with what I've got. I have enough on hand to protect what's important to me for quite a while. Now, when all this subsides, there are things I'd like to pick up.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S
Closed Thread