The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 10:49 AM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Sturmgewehr 44 Turned in at Police Buyback

Darn, I wish my Grandpa had left something in his closet like this!

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html

Last edited by UtopiaTexasG19; December 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Husqvarna

cool cops
Old December 11, 2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Widow lady, wasn't she? And the cop recognized a rare collectible that should be in a museum.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4
jimpeel

An ethical buyback program run by ethical officers

They got this thing and knew right away what it was and how much it was worth.

They refused to take it.

They informed the owner what it was worth and allowed her to keep it to sell.

This is as refreshing as it gets considering how these things are usually run.

SOURCE

Quote:
Police officers in Connecticut received one very unusual weapon during a gun buy-back program last week -- the gun was from World War II and is worth over $30,000.

<MORE>

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old December 11, 2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Skans

It's going to be destroyed. Regardless of what the officers say, there is no amnesty, and I do not believe that even a museum can take possession of an unregistered, pre-86 machinegun.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:24 PM   #6
L_Killkenny

Kudos to this one. But then again, value aside I have a big problem with authorities shreading any gun.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:29 PM   #7
jimpeel

The article is quite clear on the disposition of the firearm.

Quote:
"This is a gun that should actually be in a museum rather than in a shredder,” Crabtree said.

And that's why they will allow the owner to sell the gun.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old December 11, 2012, 03:37 PM   #8
jimpeel

Here is a website which has a video of the rifle. Too bad they don't hold the M1 Garand shown in as high esteem. It will apparently be shredded.

http://www.necn.com/12/08/12/WW2-wea...9&feedID=11106

Old December 11, 2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Skans

Quote:
The article is quite clear on the disposition of the firearm.
I have been following a discussion on this at Sturmgewehr.com. Folks who know more about this than I seem to be of he consensus that the cops have no authority on what can legally be done with the gun - it is up to BATFE. The gun would have to be transferred through BATFE to a Museum, and because it is contraband and no amnesty, there's a real question on how a Museum would lawfully be permitted to take possession.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Gaerek

There's nothing ethical about buyback programs. They're run on the premise that it will take guns off the street. But by definition, "guns on the street" are guns carried by criminals, and no way gang bangers are giving up their Glock Fo-tay's.
Old December 11, 2012, 06:08 PM   #11
SIGSHR

Nothing ethical about them since they induce people to give up perfectly legal things at way below market value and make believe they're doing something valid. Again, when was the last time you heard of a "Turn in Your Controlled Substances" program or "Turn in Your Counterfeit Money"?
Old December 11, 2012, 06:39 PM   #12
DaleA

Quote:
-when was the last time you heard of a "Turn in Your Controlled Substances" program or "Turn in Your Counterfeit Money"?
This.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:03 PM   #13
stu925

Nice to see they didn't destroy it anyway. That's probably the best gun buy back story I've seen yet.

Stu
Old December 11, 2012, 11:59 PM   #14
HKFan9

Least the cops were intelligent enough to know how rare it was.
Old December 12, 2012, 02:57 AM   #15
jimpeel

Quote:
and because it is contraband and no amnesty, there's a real question on how a Museum would lawfully be permitted to take possession.
It was here before the 1996 ban on further imports. It is contraband only because it has been under the radar of BATFE until now. It should be able to be registered through BATFE the same as any other Class III device.

If this thing had been turned in in New York they would have given her a pair of sneakers and taken it away. Mayor Bloomberg would have been on the evening news holding it on high and screaming about how this is the type of weapon that pervades our streets; and it is only by the grace of the NYPD and their gun turn-in program that this firearm will never harm another human being and our streets are now far safer.

Last edited by jimpeel; December 12, 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:37 AM   #16
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSHR View Post
Nothing ethical about them since they induce people to give up perfectly legal things at way below market value and make believe they're doing something valid. Again, when was the last time you heard of a "Turn in Your Controlled Substances" program or "Turn in Your Counterfeit Money"?
X 1,000,000!!!

Ike

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old December 12, 2012, 08:43 AM   #17
Skans

Quote:
It was here before the 1996 ban on further imports.
Not sure what you are referring to here. There was a 1989 ban on imports of certain semi-auto firearms. There was a 1986 ban on the production of machine guns that could be registered for civilian ownership.

There was a limited amnesty period during which imported machine guns could be registered which lasted from November 2, 1968 to December 1, 1968 permitted by GCA68. Some say this actually lasted unofficially until 1971. In the 1971 decision in US v. Freed, The Supremes interpreted the amended NFA of GCA68 and "compelling self-incrimination" implications and prohibited further voluntary registrations except by additional amnesty periods. ATF has not allowed any additional amnesty periods.

So how exactly can an unregistered Sturmgewehr be legally transferred from an individual to a Museum? What law would permit ATF allow the gun to be registered and authorize this transfer?
Old December 12, 2012, 09:12 AM   #18
zombieslayer

Man, I need to start my own "kicks for guns" booth!
Glad it didn't end up sawed into pieces!
Old December 12, 2012, 09:42 AM   #19
Fishbed77

I wonder if it is a registered "machine gun" with the ATF?

I have a feeling it could still end up heading to the scrapper.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:41 PM   #20
Come and take it.

over 5000 were stumbled across by Syrian rebels last month.

Before the rebellion both Lebanese militia and Syrian militia were using them as far back as the late forties or early 50s. Pictures have been taken over the last couple of years showing Syrian rebels packing these war relics.

Not that it takes away the value in the US as it would be difficult getting a hold on those rifles found in Syria.

http://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/r...syrian-rebels/
Old December 12, 2012, 01:00 PM   #21
dbgun

Great story. Thanks.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:47 PM   #22
jimpeel

Quote:
Not sure what you are referring to here.
Typo. 1986.

Essentially we were limited to "What is here is here and what is not can never be here.

I believe the cops are holding the weapon for the woman until arrangements can be made for its sale/donation. It is beyond belief they would hand it back and send her on her way.

The real problem she will have with a federal agency will be the IRS. If she keeps it they could assign it a value and demand the taxes. She could be forced into giving it away to a museum sort of like this case:

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/12/0...al-bald-eagle/

Old December 12, 2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Skans

Quote:
She could be forced into giving it away to a museum sort of like this case:
The real problem is that she most likely will not be able to give it away to a Museum. It would be more like trying to give crack cocaine to a museum - there is simply no legal way for the museum to take legal possession of such a thing (crack or an unregistered machine gun). I believe that, at least the receiver, will have to be destroyed. I don't know about the parts.

FYI, I don't think the Sturmgewehr 44 is intrinsically all that valuable. Like someone pointed out, there are a good number of them around the world. Registered transferable Sturmgewehr 44's are extremely rare and valuable. What you are paying the big bucks for is the permission to legally own one in the US.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:01 PM   #24
SPEMack618

It saddens me to know end when I see little old ladies having to resort to gun buy backs in order to sell off thier late husband's war trophies.

Or at a gun show trying to conduct a private sale and not get ripped off.

Last gun show I went to, there was an eldery lady with an M-1 carbine, no bayonet lug, in great shape, with matching numbers, asking $300 dollars for it.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:08 PM   #25
Skans

Quote:
It saddens me to know end when I see little old ladies having to resort to gun buy backs in order to sell off thier late husband's war trophies.

Or at a gun show trying to conduct a private sale and not get ripped off.

Last gun show I went to, there was an eldery lady with an M-1 carbine, no bayonet lug, in great shape, with matching numbers, asking $300 dollars for it.
Really? Here's how I see it. The lady probably hates guns; hated the fact that her husband even had any guns and this was her way of getting rid of some evil junk she never wanted in the house. In fact, the Husband probably had to hide them from her. As far as the M-1 Carbine, she was probably tickled pink to get $300 - sort of like I would be if I ever had to sell some creepy antique clown doll that belonged to my wife (just an example). Maybe the creepy antique clown doll is worth $10,000 - are you going to feel sorry for me if I only get $500 for it at the annual Creepy Clown Doll Show???

This might be what the elderly lady saw when she looked at the M1 Carbine:

Last edited by Skans; December 12, 2012 at 06:20 PM.