The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 25, 2017, 08:51 AM   #1
TheJudge6070

Gun cleaning kit or not?

Hi,
I just bought a 9mm and 45 acp pistol. I also have a shotgun and a rifle.

I can't make a decision on whether to get a gun cleaning kit or not. I've searched and read many different things.

I see some people say the kits have some things in it that you will never use.

I did clean my 9mm last night with ballistol and a cotton swab..but the swab does leave back pieces of cotton.

Any suggestions?
Old February 25, 2017, 11:31 AM   #2
P5 Guy

I carry an Otis kit with me to the range. Pull thru brush and patches work fine for a quick clean when shooting that old mil-surp corrosive stuff.
Old February 25, 2017, 12:45 PM   #3
Dufus

I have always just bought the pieces and made my own "kits".

I was in Wally World a while back and noticed they had some cheap towels for $2.50 or there 'bouts.

I calculated from the measurements of the towels that I can average 900 patches from one towel. Bought a couple of them and gladly my calculations were correct.
Old February 25, 2017, 12:55 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

A cotton swab will absolutely leave tiny bits of itself behind. Go to a discount fabric shop and buy a couple yards of 36" wide(close counts, how wide isn't important. A yard is easiest to cut. Runs less than $10 for hundreds of patches) remnant flannelette(winter sheet/PJ material) and cut it into 2' x 4" strips. 1" x 2" for most hand guns.
Minimum thing required is a pistol length cleaning rod, a brush and a jag. Buying a kit is just the most convenient way of getting all of it at once. There are a lot of insane prices for kits. None of 'em is any better than the least expensive one. Paying more than about $20 is nutso.
Cabela's currently has the Hoppe's Universal cleaning kit on sale at $16.99. Just add solvent.
Old February 25, 2017, 06:18 PM   #5
JWT

The Otis kit is nice and a different way to clean vs. pushing the patch through the bore. I find it especially good for .17 hmr where a rod doesn't work so well. Other than that I've always bought good quality rods and added jags, etc. as needed. I see little use for the nice little boxes etc. that come with kits.
Old February 25, 2017, 09:42 PM   #6
sakata8242

What comes in the kit? This is the bare minimum all you really need:

9mm and .45 bore brushes
9mm and .45 jags
pistol cleaning rod
CLP type cleaner or separate solvent and lube
cotton cleaning patches
silicone cloth to wipe down exterior

If you want to go even more spartan, then replace the brushes, jags, and rod with 9mm and .45 boresnakes
Old February 26, 2017, 12:21 AM   #7
TheJudge6070

So bore snakes will be better than the kits?
Old February 26, 2017, 12:26 AM   #8
AzShooter

I was using a bore snake but found it doesn't clean the chamber as well as a good brush and solvent. Recently I had a number of failure to feed problems extracting do to a dirty chamber. When I switched back to Brass Bore Brushes and patches the problem ceased.

I like M-Pro 7 as a cleaner and they make complete cleaning kits. You can't go wrong with them or with an Otis Kit.
Old February 26, 2017, 01:37 AM   #9
big al hunter

Bore snakes are great for a quick cleaning of the barrel. They do not clean the entire gun. If the kit has things you will not use, just buy what you want to use separately. It may be more expensive to buy them separately though. I bought a kit and added the items that were not included that I wanted. To each their own. Not everyone uses the same method or materials. What matters is that you clean and protect your gun. How you do it will determine what you need and don't need.
Old February 26, 2017, 01:52 AM   #10
StumpShooter

I have Tipton brand stuff. It's the best quality rods and attachments I've used so far
Old February 26, 2017, 12:02 PM   #11
sakata8242

Quote:
So bore snakes will be better than the kits?
Not better, just a different method. Depends on how much time and money you want to invest. Bore snakes will get the gun "clean enough" at a fraction of the time.

I used to be meticulous in cleaning my guns when I first started shooting/owning firearms. Used to spend upwards of 30 minutes cleaning per gun -- regardless of how many shots I fired through it -- which I now feel is mostly a waste of time. In most cases the gun does not need to be spotless and able to pass a white glove inspection. It needs to be reasonably free of residue/fouling, and more importantly, properly lubed. If I don't have time to clean a gun or know that I will be shooting it again within a day or two, I will simply re-lube the gun and inspect/inventory until I get around to cleaning it.

Cleaning a gun should not be made more complicated than it actually is. The bare minimums I listed above are sufficient and can fit easily inside a small pouch or bag.

Some people find cleaning an enjoyable activity, perhaps nostalgic. Not me.
Old February 26, 2017, 04:27 PM   #12
FireForged

I don't buy kits.. I buy the individual items that I need. Most kits have 80% crap and 20% of things I will use.

I buy everything from J Dewey Rods. good luck
Old February 26, 2017, 04:36 PM   #13
FITASC

I like ProShot for brushes and jags - I buy online, 6each at a time (or more of cheaper by a sealed pack or 10) Patches are cheap enough.
You need a cleaning rod - one piece is preferable, patches, a solvent for cleaning, an oil or lubricant and properly sized brushes. There are all sorts of kits, but the better quality stuff is not sold in kits and is usually not found at Walmart.
Since I also shoot rifle and shotguns, I have one piece rods for those with the corresponding patches, jags, brushes, etc.

Brake cleaner, WD-40 and a host of other "non-gun" solvents will do an excellent job at a lot less cost than something with "GUN" on the label
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 26, 2017, 04:54 PM   #14
burrhead

Buying a "kit" is a waste of money. Get a Plano fishing tackle box at Wally's and some jags, patches, solvent, etc. Buy a good rod (Wally won't have good ones; go online). Throw in a used toothbrush, whatever other little things you think you need and you're in business.

I've had the same tackle box for forty odd years.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.